Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact bone pick  (Read 1487 times)

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact bone pick
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:52:26 am »

My last artifact was an puppy dog bone pick..
How well does it work in battle? And since when you are able to make weapons out of bones?
(Vanilla Dorf-Fortress)

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact bone pick
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:55:19 am »

Most bone stoof sucks ingame
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:58:56 am »

How well does it work in battle? And since when you are able to make weapons out of bones?

1. Science
2. A long while

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:13:10 am »

1. Not very well.
2. Since the introduction of strange moods (i.e. always). Note that bone is the only non-metal material that moody dwarves can make into melee weapons.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:08:02 am »

It *is* a pick, though. Those are always useful; it's not a complete loss.

Bone weapons are light and don't hold much of an edge. They're good for a challenge, like when you're running a fort without metal. The one exception is a bone crossbow. A masterwork bone crossbow will pincushion a goblin just as well as a masterwork steel one will. They don't work very well when your dwarves run out of ammo and start bashing the enemy with them, but that can be a bonus if you give them to your fortress guard.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:14:45 pm »

Will Leaving a masterful object in the Dining-Room and fobidding it give happy thoughts to passing Dwarves ( in lieu of having Pedastals / 'Display-Cases' ).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 12:33:19 pm »

Will Leaving a masterful object in the Dining-Room and fobidding it give happy thoughts to passing Dwarves ( in lieu of having Pedastals / 'Display-Cases' ).
Putting it in a weapon trap would work

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »

I'm afraid this can only be done purposefully with artifact buildings, via the usual (b) command.
Also I might be wrong, but forbiding an item anywhere in the map just would do that, disallowing touching, watching or interacting with something in any way, so no thoughts could be get from it.

EDIT: Ninja'd and rightfully refuted by the above response.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 01:00:58 pm »

You could have someone mine with it; bone is quite light, so it would allow for swift movement.

I guess the real question is, how high is its value?
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.