Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are my dwarves idle and how do i tell them what to do?  (Read 1596 times)

adamandkate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why are my dwarves idle and how do i tell them what to do?
« on: August 07, 2012, 03:07:55 am »

It looks like i have dwarves sitting doing nothing at all, do they only assign one person to one job? eg i have a dwarf digging, another farming. and the others seem to be sitting around outside.

i have 2 farms and the 2nd plot never gets used even when the first is full

thanks

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are my dwarves idle and how do i tell them what to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:08:41 am »

Telling the dwarfs what kind of job they should do can be done ingame ( "v" to look at dwarf, "p" preferences, "l" labor), but pretty much everybody uses the program "Dwarf Therapist" to set labors on a GUI. Dwarf Therapist: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.0

For farm plots, you need to set which plants should be grown. ("q" to look at farm plot, "a/b/c/d" to select season, select plant or "z" to not grow anything that season. You will need the correct seeds for that plant.

adamandkate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 04:28:28 am »

ahhh thanks. thats what i did wrong, set my first farm. but not the second.

on a side note... one of my dwarfs died of dehydration, he had access to the alcohol stores and status says "80?" so any idea why he died?

thanks again

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 04:46:38 am »

without bookkeeper I don't think records get updated. So if you started with 80 and played for some time, it could in theory be 0 by now. Also check and double check if he could really get to the booze, it's surprisingly easy to destroy stairs or do something wrong with ramps.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 05:54:30 am »

Shit happens, for example dwarfs seem to forget about eating/drinking when they are really unhappy. I just had my duchess die of thirst a couple hours ago which was especially unnerving because

- Stocks of booze were fine
- She went angry about "some lesser pretentious sleeping arangements" when her sleeping room is by far the best around
- it was the first time I took a good look to choose a "good" noble
- when your noble dies, you're not getting another. ever.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 06:35:06 am »

Shit happens, for example dwarfs seem to forget about eating/drinking when they are really unhappy. I just had my duchess die of thirst a couple hours ago which was especially unnerving because

- Stocks of booze were fine
- She went angry about "some lesser pretentious sleeping arangements" when her sleeping room is by far the best around
- it was the first time I took a good look to choose a "good" noble
- when your noble dies, you're not getting another. ever.

any chance you burrowed her for a meeting?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:53:41 am »

No, although that might be one of the better ideas actually :-)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 09:13:00 am »

No, although that might be one of the better ideas actually :-)

my duchess died one time cause I forgot to deactivate the meeting burrow :p

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 09:56:58 pm »

without bookkeeper I don't think records get updated. So if you started with 80 and played for some time, it could in theory be 0 by now. Also check and double check if he could really get to the booze, it's surprisingly easy to destroy stairs or do something wrong with ramps.
No, they get updated, they're just not very accurate.

Depending on how many dwarves there are, 70-80 drinks might not be enough. When a dwarf is drinking from a barrel, no other dwarf can get to the other units of drink inside the barrel. On embark drink comes 5 units to a barrel at maximum, but if you start brewing the stacks the traders bring then that's 25 units to a barrel.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

adamandkate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 03:37:39 pm »

when a barrel is empty what happens to i? does it stay there for me to refill with more booze? or do i have to make a whole new barrell

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 03:44:25 pm »

when a barrel is empty what happens to i? does it stay there for me to refill with more booze? or do i have to make a whole new barrell

When you order a brewer to make more booze, they'll use an avaiable empty barrel and a brewable foodstuff to make it.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace