Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with werebison dwarf child immigrant?  (Read 1965 times)

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with werebison dwarf child immigrant?
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:02:30 am »

Hi all,

I've got a young fort here (second spring), and a werebison dwarf child just "immigrated" by springing out of ambush and slaughtering all my war dogs, some puppies, both alpacas, and a rabbit (unfortunately, the cat was indoors at the time). My idiotic carpenter chose that precise moment to pasture the other critters that ran away (how do you disable pasturing jobs???), and *very* fortunately dodged the beast's first and last attack before it turned back into a child. My axedwarf squad is on the way, but I'm currently on pause, wondering if there are any repercussions to just disposing of this annoyance? He's marked as "friendly" so I cant see his relationships to see whether anybody else cares about him.

FYI, werebison are really nasty. Excerpts from the combat logs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Advice? I'd try to weaponize him, but the rampage was too short to be useful...

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with werebison dwarf child immigrant?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:37:40 am »

Now I want to see a Werebison fight a Weremammoth.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 04:49:59 am »

the child should actually make a run for it now
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 04:51:35 am »

Catch him if at all possible.  Isolate him in a small room with your very toughest dwarves (preferably heavily defense trained but none too powerful on the attack) and a food and booze supply, and wait.  Field a powerful regenerating military.  Eventually forget to keep track of moon phase and watch them destroy your fortress from within.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 05:07:41 am »

Catch him if at all possible.  Isolate him in a small room with your very toughest dwarves (preferably heavily defense trained but none too powerful on the attack) and a food and booze supply, and wait.  Field a powerful regenerating military.  Eventually forget to keep track of moon phase and watch them destroy your fortress from within.

Build a separate place, away from your fort for the werearmy. Seal them in with a raising bridge. Give them an armor stand to train with, beds and whatever to keep them happy.

If moon comes up while a siege is underway...cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 05:12:04 am »

I was thinking use 'em as attackers even without the shifting, just don't train them to attack beforehand so they don't accidentally kill the werethingy before it infects every last one of them.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 05:53:17 am »

Catch, as in cage trap, right? He won't need food/booze, will he? Seems like he shouldn't.

So the main draw here is that they regenerate health (even lost body parts) at every form change? I guess that could be extremely handy for those times where a goblin axeman gets off some lucky swings...

Do werecreatures ever use their weapons when the moon is up? I'd heard somewhere that they don't, but this werebison was all too willing to use his hooves, so now I wonder. Armor is out, I'd imagine, given the size.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 06:00:21 am »

Catch, as in cage trap, right? He won't need food/booze, will he? Seems like he shouldn't.

So the main draw here is that they regenerate health (even lost body parts) at every form change? I guess that could be extremely handy for those times where a goblin axeman gets off some lucky swings...

Do werecreatures ever use their weapons when the moon is up? I'd heard somewhere that they don't, but this werebison was all too willing to use his hooves, so now I wonder. Armor is out, I'd imagine, given the size.

Yeah, they drop everything.

Training unarmed is probably the best bet...though you should still have helmets to avoid FUN wrestling accidents.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 06:30:20 am »

hooves and horns are deadly weapons. Watch out for bizons, yaks, bulls, moose... stuff like those. Especially deadly in adventure mode if you're practicing sneaking over mountain terrain (no trees!) by holding the key down and reading a book in the meantime. Then have a run-in with some yaks
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 06:51:17 am »

I hear tell they regenerate more than that.  You don't even need to feed the damn things.  They still want food, and booze, but form-shifting supposedly resets their hunger and thirst values.

Still might need to provide food and drink for your supersoldiers-to-be while they're waiting for it to happen, though.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 07:40:59 am »

Just to clarify, that werebison "child" was an invader, not a migrant.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.