Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Starship Corporation (Building/Management)  (Read 30697 times)

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
Re: Starship Corporation (Building/Management)
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 04:17:41 pm »

I did send David (dev) a message and got a reaction already, he seems very eager to jump in and answer some questions. But being the first day, he's being bombarded by email/pm's and all sort of things.

He hopes to find time asap, but we can't blame the guy from being overwhelmed right now :P Let's see ;)
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 04:49:14 pm »

I was interested in this until I noticed the extra content for higher funders and stretch goals. But otherwise, it looks like a decent game.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 04:56:05 pm »

Started getting interested.  The teaser had very little actual gameplay footage though, and the gameplay that was included certainly wouldn't be the bulk of the game.  You're likely to spend most of your time shuffling room positions and tweaking the AI, not capturing enemy ships.  Showing a climactic seize is like showing a dragon fight in Skyrim - it happens, but it's not what you do most often.

And then I noticed that they've set very low goals.  Sure, it looks nice and all, but the $6,000 goal enables fifteen missions.  It may be a solid 15 missions, but it's still very limiting, especially as it's only 5 per category, and your ship would definitely change what's functional or not.  If one mission is "you're attacked by raiders" then your cargo pusher might have trouble, but your battleship would just wipe them out - this seems to indicate that only a few missions will be valid for you based on your ship size.  So you might actually end up with 3 or 6 missions that fit your ship type.  And that's sorely lacking.  Especially with everything possible today, it seems like having at least randomly generated encounters would be required.

And do notice, that's all they actually advertise.  The "core game" at $6,000 does NOT brag about any campaign mode, it ONLY offers 15 instance missions.  It looks like persistent gameplay only starts at $16,000 during multiplayer.  So if you get the core game, then you can design a nice ship but not do a whole lot with it.

Unless they just neglected to mention campaign mode in the core game, but it seems like that would be one feature that you'd want to stress, and not just assume.

Started losing interest now.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 10:18:57 pm »

Fuck Gamemaker smack talk, Spelunky was in Gamemaker that's good enough for me. The core game is going to be free assuming they get to $6000 also - that's why the tiers all just say perks, everyone gets the game. My biggest concern is the plot 'inspired by Atlas Shrugged'. Those words kinda make me want to puke my pants.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:35 pm »

Fuck Gamemaker smack talk, Spelunky was in Gamemaker that's good enough for me. The core game is going to be free assuming they get to $6000 also - that's why the tiers all just say perks, everyone gets the game. My biggest concern is the plot 'inspired by Atlas Shrugged'. Those words kinda make me want to puke my pants.

Weird, thats not really a science fiction story at all.
I got nothing

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 10:30:47 pm »

As the "whatever-kickstarter-clone-this-is" stated, it appears to be only roughly based on Atlas Shrugged - a young whatever rises to become a powerful whatever.  The issue is that they act like this is a new idea, but really pretty much every game ever has done this to at least some degree, they're just being unique by using a few more hype words.  Comparing yourself to a literary classic is one way to generate hype.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 03:48:56 am »

Did anyone else notice that the marine rifle sounds are the same sound effect of the pulse rifles from Aliens? Soo preordered just for that. Game looks sweet too.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 05:19:29 am »

This... this makes me want to try my hand at gamemaker. :D

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 05:31:58 am »

Considering the novelty of Kickstarter & Co. is still quite fresh, and the development cycle for many of these dream games is quite long, I predict there'll come a harsh reckoning eventually. Too many games on these sites are just planned feature lists. What happened to old-fashioned making a game without immediately putting it up on some crowdfunding site?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 05:33:58 am »

Considering the novelty of Kickstarter & Co. is still quite fresh, and the development cycle for many of these dream games is quite long, I predict there'll come a harsh reckoning eventually. Too many games on these sites are just planned feature lists. What happened to old-fashioned making a game without immediately putting it up on some crowdfunding site?
From what I have seen, the more successful kickstarter&co games have been pretty far along in development already before being put up.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 05:35:35 am »

This... this makes me want to try my hand at gamemaker. :D
See, even if this game gets actually made, and is probably going to be underwhelming, inspiring someone else, makes it totally worthwhile.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 05:37:36 am »

Indeed. I think when I get home today I'm diving headfirst into gamemaker and not coming up until little bits are moving on a screen according to some arbitrary rules.

Ratakari

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Starship Corporation
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 06:38:00 am »

Hi all!

Thanks you do much for your interest and generosity in helping me making this game. I am truly amazed by the creativity of all the people sending me ideas to make this concept even better, thatīs what I was hoping for. It also feels great, that my fascination for a "space engineering game" is shared by so many and with such intensity.
I am also thankful for any critisism of the project and itīs presentation - helps me a lot to avoid errors in future  ;)

I understand the worries about the game being made in gamemaker - I was sceptical, too. I completely understand that you want to wait for the playable Alpha before send any money, thats why I am working hard to release it very soon.

And I agree with Mr. Wiggles:
See, even if this game gets actually made, and is probably going to be underwhelming, inspiring someone else, makes it totally worthwhile.

Only, that - if the game really sucks because of gamemaker or my lack in programming skills - I am absolutely convinced now, that this game concept can be realized with a full team (hopefully with my continuing participation)  :)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 08:12:49 am »

Ratakari,

Thanks for stopping by. I know this is a very busy time for you. I contributed but am a little unclear on your content model.
1) Can you confirm that the base game will be free but that additional missions will be available to purchase?
2) Also, will the reward content be available to others later?
3) How far along are you with the base game?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 09:15:56 am »

Always love to see devs on B12.  It's a little narcissistic but I really think this is one of the best places for a developer to get a real feel for how their game is going.  We can be fairly brutal in many of our criticisms, but it's all legit concerns as well.

On that note, same as Hemmingjay: The $6,000 goal lists a few missions as the big reward.  Does this mean that the whole game is a few missions, or is campaign mode an assumed feature that is included but not listed?  (If it isn't listed, it seriously should be!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11