Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Starship Corporation (Building/Management)  (Read 30689 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starship Corporation (Building/Management)
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 05:10:08 am »

This looks very promising. Quite similar to Star Command (Kickstarter) but in a more serious and realistic tone. I am going to wait for the alpha version to be downloadable and if it is what I expect, money shall come to him.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 05:25:37 am »

hmm , made in gamermaker.
wut

When you make such heart-breaking statements, make sure to supply them with proof. :(

Corik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 06:12:55 am »

Well, the dev said it was completely made in Game Maker in the showcase video, if I understood correctly. Looks promising, to be honest.

Walter Sullivan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 08:43:40 am »

wut

When you make such heart-breaking statements, make sure to supply them with proof. :(

It says here:
Background:

My career started off with 3D Animation for advertising, then Character Animation for the Game Company Jowood - Neighbours from Hell. I created the Lasertag game company “LazerCombat” www.lazercombat.com that is currently run by my brother Stefan. I had no programming experience prior to starting this project except a little scripting in Adobe Director and Flash, but I quickly learned to use the excellent tool GameMaker for my plans. I make this game because I am dying to play it – so you can be sure I will finish this project.

But I don't see any problems on it being made on Game Maker though. Truly there are A LOT of bad games made on Game Maker, but it's because of
a) it has a free version
b) it's easy to make a crappy game and publish on their website for anyone to see

But there are some good games made with it too. Like Wanderlust: Rebirth and Gunpoint(still in alpha, but it's awesome). And from what I saw, he knows what he is doing.
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" - The Dark Tower

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 08:55:08 am »

wut

It says here:
Background:

My career started off with 3D Animation for advertising, then Character Animation for the Game Company Jowood - Neighbours from Hell. I created the Lasertag game company “LazerCombat” www.lazercombat.com that is currently run by my brother Stefan. I had no programming experience prior to starting this project except a little scripting in Adobe Director and Flash, but I quickly learned to use the excellent tool GameMaker for my plans. I make this game because I am dying to play it – so you can be sure I will finish this project.

But I don't see any problems on it being made on Game Maker though. Truly there are A LOT of bad games made on Game Maker, but it's because of
a) it has a free version
b) it's easy to make a crappy game and publish on their website for anyone to see

But there are some good games made with it too. Like Wanderlust: Rebirth and Gunpoint(still in alpha, but it's awesome). And from what I saw, he knows what he is doing.
didn't one of our fellow bay12ers make Crazy Lazer Space using gamemaker? Shook or someone. I cant remember their name right now. But the game is quite well made, and brutally difficult.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 09:03:40 am »

Background:

To be fair none of this states that he's making the game in GameMaker. Rather that he has learnt how to use game maker. He did state that he wants this to be his "coding project" which to me seems to lean towards his own hand-scripted engine.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 09:25:10 am »

Re-watch the video again man, he says it in the video. Video.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 09:30:10 am »

I couldn't see the last three posts because of all the money I've thrown at my moniter. And finding the reply button was a pain.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 09:31:07 am »

Posting to watch. Looks interesting. Making a game out of the design phase itself....me likee.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 09:53:06 am »

I am now a supporter. Let's hope he can overcome inexperience and the limitations of the engine. He certainly seems focused and clever, so I have quite a bit of confidence.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 10:23:33 am »

This is the kind of game I like to support, but the backing system kind of put me back.

It seems that the more you pay, the more in-game content you are getting. As in, if you pay more than $100 or whatever, you get the Cruiser Mission... well, what if I don't I get an incomplete game and have to pay more for DLC?

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 02:41:39 pm »

I do agree somewhat with the above, little perks (being mentioned in the credits, making up a ship name or even an NPC being named after you) are great and fun. Content, should be handed out very sparingly and at the lower level of contributions. Also more silly and fun, then real actual content. (A purple captains chair instead of.. a yellow one! pfft, whatever)

Bigger contributions should award, t-shirts, ebook like rewards with art (or hardcopy stuffs).

The game content shouldn't be affected to much by this itself. Alpha, beta access can be done. That kind of stuff.

What I don't mind is someone throwing down 1000+ bucks (pick a big amount) and getting free DLC for their lifetime. They deserve it...

Anywho... back to the game...

I LIKE IT! Keeping an eye on it... might even make a donation. I'm a sucker for these kind of things ;)
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 02:47:06 pm »

I am interested in this, but I'd rather play a demo before deciding to throw money at it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 03:01:18 pm »

Hmm. I'll have to look into this more when I'm not at work.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 04:00:40 pm »

GameMaker + multiplayer? I would respond to this, but at the moment my brain has short circuited, and all I can see is a bright red flashing background with the words 'NO' and 'BAD IDEA' appearing over and over again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11