Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wandering Mummies?  (Read 2677 times)

Jables

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wandering Mummies?
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:30:57 pm »

My last adventurer ran into a mummy, which I thought was kind of odd since I was just sneaking around the countryside at the time (having only just left the starting town with my companions). I probably should have just left after my companions bit the dust, but I really wanted to steal their stuff. This resulted in being spotted by the zombified corpse of one of my companions, and needless to say, things quickly went downhill from there. Anyways, I poked around in Legends later and discovered a few things. First, the mummy had been disturbed by my previous adventurer (a vampire necromancer). Second, the tomb where the mummy originated was halfway across the map from where I encountered it. Anyone have any idea how this could happen? According to legends, I encountered the mummy near a lair (inhabited by starved horrors if I'm reading this right), so I can probably track it down again if that would help.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Wandering Mummies?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:35:28 pm »

He came for the chosen one!  One 'guided by unseen forces', of unknown parentage, and capable of changing the world...

Sounds like an elder scrolls intro.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:02:16 am »

Well they weren't lying when they said death will find you soon enough.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:18:31 pm »

Well they weren't lying when they said death will find you soon enough.
'cept it was the undead that found him.
Two sides of the same, rotten, fleshy coin.

Jables

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:15:36 am »

Ok, quick update on my traveling mummy population. This is a different adventurer but the same world. I encountered a completely different mummy wandering around. This one also seemed to be near a lair (I didn't see the mummy while entering the lair, but it walked in after I finished dispatching the resident werecamel, animating the corpse on its way in), which is probably significant. I'm not sure how they're getting across the map, but my guess is that when my first adventurer disturbed every single mummy across several regions, the resulting hoard got spread around instead of sticking near their tombs (checking legends, I confirmed that the new wanderer is yet another mummy disturbed by Mudi Heroicobscure the Belted Wanderer of Night, human vampire necromancer and professional mummy disturber (seriously, I looked through her legends page and counted 33 instances of disturbing tombs)). I feel like unless I go and generate another world, I'm going to have to add randomly running into mummies around lairs to the list of adventurer mode occupational hazards.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:31:31 am »

Having disturbed multiple mummies, do the curses stack? Or does one curse have the same effect as, say, five?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Jables

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 12:59:14 am »

I wouldn't know. As far as I can tell, I was never cursed. I was friendly with the mummies at the time, being both a vampire and a necromancer. I even got to have a nice chat with one of them about how some jerk with the same name as me disturbed them earlier that year.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:00:13 am »

Well it's a fact now, Mummies are old adventurers that got a chance to rest in nice tombs. Waking them up causes them to get that Venturin' itch back and roam the land killing and reanimating things until they die and be place back into a tomb.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 12:35:55 am »

Do they re-mummify him then? If they do, do they add another layer of wrapping, or just change out the old ones?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 01:56:28 am »

I now have a reason to randomly set off traps :3

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 05:09:59 am »

To op, have you done anything with this world?  how dangereous/frequent are the mummies?  Do you know if they hate forts?  Time for testing fun potental!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 10:30:48 am »

You know how if you trigger a trap the Mummy inside somehow knows where you are without seeing you first?

What if that carries on till after your adventurer has left... And they're all still seeking you...

Jables

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 11:42:56 am »

The adventurer that bothered all these mummies didn't have this problem, but didn't visit many lairs so that's not too surprising. These are later adventurers that are running into the mummies.

The world was generated in vanilla 0.34.11 and I haven't tampered with it. The mummies are about as dangerous as you'd expect mummies to be, but sneaking seemed to work fairly well against them and they don't bring their zombie armies with them when they leave the tomb to go exploring, so they're probably fairly manageable. As for frequency, out of about 7 lairs I visited, 2 had mummies. There's another two lairs that showed up in Legends that had combat between one or more zombies and the lair's inhabitants. I'm not sure if I visited them and didn't kill anything or what, but I'll have to go check them out later. I have no idea if the forts are affected since I haven't visited any forts in the area, but the camps seem to be mummy free.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 12:22:33 pm »

Play a fort.  See if they come say hi.

If they do, I would save the world even after I finished using it...
PKs DF Mod!

Jables

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:10 pm »

I haven't really been playing fort mode, but I guess this is as good an excuse to try to get back into it as any...

The two other lairs with zombie activity weren't actually related to mummies, and they were close enough to a lair that I did visit that they may have been loaded while I was in the area. Here's where things get weird though: both zombies were former world gen adventurers that my infamous mummy disturber animated while fighting a marsh titan. I looked up the zombies in legends and they both began wandering the wilds in the late summer of 250. My mummy disturber didn't die until early autumn of that year, but I ditched at least one large group of zombies before that. There's a number of other zombies listed in legends that began wandering the wilds, so presumably they all got bored and wandered off. Curiously, the two wandering mummies aren't listed as wandering the wilds.

Edit: Both regular and undead companions get the "wandering the wilds" message after you recruit / animate them, specifically once you've traveled with them, I think. Which still doesn't explain how the undead are crossing vast distances on their own to beat up on night creatures and werecreatures.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:35:10 pm by Jables »
Pages: [1] 2