Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm interested in learning about Modding!  (Read 2340 times)

DuncanFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm interested in learning about Modding!
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:25:53 pm »

So i was in the forums looking for some kind of guide as to how i would start changing things in dwarf fortress, not that it isn't perfect already... just that i think a little of my own influence could be a awesome thing. So I have been looking around the files in dwarf fortress, and I'm having trouble deciphering what is what.

perhaps some one with a little extra time could show me where and what files i could change.
    Ex: to add new races and items

if this has been already discussed.. sorry i must of missed it  (a link would be nice)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:28:21 pm by DuncanFire »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: I'm interested in learning about Modding!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 08:30:02 pm »

raw/objects

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100707.0

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Category:DF2012:Tokens

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6588

(If you have any specific questions, post here or in the modding topic and I'll be glad to answer)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:31:33 pm by Putnam »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:31:38 pm »

Best place to start is with the guide on the wiki which is found here.

After that then start looking in the raw/objects folder (creature standard is a good place to start!), and if you have any questions feel free to ask them in the thread Putnam linked to.

Also, welcome to the modding community! It's always great to see another person interested, and don't be afraid to ask questions since there is almost always somebody around here willing to answer them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:33:52 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DuncanFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 08:34:39 pm »

Thanks a whole bunch! this is exactly what I've been looking for

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:04:12 pm »

Best place to start is with the guide on the wiki which is found here.

After that then start looking in the raw/objects folder (creature standard is a good place to start!), and if you have any questions feel free to ask them in the thread Putnam linked to.

Also, welcome to the modding community! It's always great to see another person interested, and don't be afraid to ask questions since there is almost always somebody around here willing to answer them.

Haha, finally got around to writing the workshop guide for that article.

DuncanFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:23:53 am »

ya!  at first i was very confused, but just a little reading goes a long way. :)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 02:31:30 pm »

Awesome, thanks to Duncan for creating the topic and everyone else for the answers!

I was just about to start looking this up, too.

DuncanFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 09:20:10 pm »

So i was playing around with some files and i kinda put some things together... very fun!!!
i got around to seeing what happens when i create a new world, and i went to the error log and found about three or four error thingies
i fixed as many as i could understand, but obviously i need some help from some one with superior knowledge!!!  ;)

hopefully some one can point me in the right direction
i am having fun with this!!! and I'm very excited, but please do not be afraid to tell me i did something very wrong and very stupid... :D!!!
whoever wants to help me learn can click the spoiler link below.( i put both the error file and the creature thing in there)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ps. should i move my questions to the modding questions thread,and would it be selfish to stay in this
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 09:30:49 pm by DuncanFire »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 09:38:05 pm »

The first and third problems are fairly simple, but I'm not sure about the second one.
1)You defined the tissues and materials for the claws, but you forgot to actually add them in. Try adding
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:CLAW:FRONT]
in there after
    [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CLAW:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
    [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CLAW:CLAW_TEMPLATE].
3)It's a typo. It should be BY_CATEGORY, not BY_CATERGORY.

For number two if looks like there used to be a typo there but it got fixed already. I'd clear out the error logs after fixing number 1&3 and try again and see if the message pops up again.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DuncanFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 12:28:32 am »

Thank you i2amrov
i cleared the error log, and everything but this is fixed
For number two if looks like there used to be a typo there but it got fixed already. I'd clear out the error logs after fixing number 1&3 and try again and see if the message pops up again.
it is still there :-\ i know that it must have to do with the things i highlighted below.
most likely i am not seeing some thing very simple.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 03:10:56 am »

Try adding in
[ADD_TISSUE:CHEEK_WHISKERS:CHEEK_WHISKERS_TEMPLATE]
[BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:CHEEK:CHEEK_WHISKERS:1]
with all of the body detail plan stuff.

I think the problem is that you are trying to define the color of their cheek whiskers with the second highlighted group, but you aren't actually giving them facial hair anywhere (just body fur), so the game is trying to color something that doesn't exist.

DuncanFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 12:25:23 pm »

once again Thank you!!!

i finally got it to work!, but for some reason the game wouldn't let me color modify the eyelashes and whiskers in their own color(i tried over and over in many different ways), it seems that the two must be in a larger group of other things being modified.... i am confused

Try adding in
[ADD_TISSUE:CHEEK_WHISKERS:CHEEK_WHISKERS_TEMPLATE]
[BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:CHEEK:CHEEK_WHISKERS:1]
with all of the body detail plan stuff.
this didn't flag any errors, but didn't fix them either.

• i checked my spelling
  • i made sure all the tabs and spaces were in the right place
  • i even rewrote the darn thing  several times

hopefully i am wrong, and hopefully i did make a mistake
i will just keep playing around with the files and reading up till i reach a better understanding.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 04:00:55 pm »

I'm a little bit disoriented by the way you used the white space in your code, i thought the syntax was

[SET_TL_GROUP:
    [PLUS_TL_GROUP: if desired
    [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER: this modifies the TL set above

but you have your paragraphs organized like this

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:  i think this modifies the TL set in a previous paragraph
   [SET_TL_GROUP: 
   [PLUS_TL_GROUP:

i wonder if this is leading to you having a mistaken or redundant TL_COLOR_MODIFIER?
(Note, please take all i say with a grain of salt, i'm not really that experienced either)

A minor issue and might be off base I don't know much about rabbit folk, but you might have a couple unintentional leftovers from Kobolds.  Using the 'k' tile, kids being 'puppies' and did you really want them to be [BONECARN] ?  (strictly carnivorous and eat bones) 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:06:55 pm by smakemupagus »

DuncanFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 04:39:12 pm »

:o
thank you smakemupagus
i laughed so hard when i saw your reply.
i don't know why i would like them to have puppies, i think i was just thinking about how pup or puppy can be used to describe some other types of mammals other than dogs
to be honestly i don't know what a baby hare is called.

thanks again for correcting my error
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:42:48 pm by DuncanFire »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 10:19:39 pm »

I'm a little bit disoriented by the way you used the white space in your code, i thought the syntax was

[SET_TL_GROUP:
    [PLUS_TL_GROUP: if desired
    [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER: this modifies the TL set above

but you have your paragraphs organized like this

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:  i think this modifies the TL set in a previous paragraph
   [SET_TL_GROUP: 
   [PLUS_TL_GROUP:

i wonder if this is leading to you having a mistaken or redundant TL_COLOR_MODIFIER?
(Note, please take all i say with a grain of salt, i'm not really that experienced either)

A minor issue and might be off base I don't know much about rabbit folk, but you might have a couple unintentional leftovers from Kobolds.  Using the 'k' tile, kids being 'puppies' and did you really want them to be [BONECARN] ?  (strictly carnivorous and eat bones)

It's not quite the whitespace that matters, but the order. TL_COLOR_MODIFIERs must come after TL_GROUP tokens.