Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peace with Goblins ~ Possible? How?  (Read 3341 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Peace with Goblins ~ Possible? How?
« on: August 06, 2012, 06:33:42 pm »

According to the wiki:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Trading#GoblinsVerify

It is possible to be at peace/ ally with the goblins.

My best guess is that this is done via adventurer, but even then how?

Has anyone every done this? Personally, I want to allies the greens and go to war with the hippies.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Peace with Goblins ~ Possible? How?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:16:25 pm »

I 'think' it can happen very rarely in worldgen, i've started at war with the elves and humans before.  I guess its just pot-luck if you embark during a rare moment of peacetime.   Perhaps in an age of twilight when neither civ has the strength to expand?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:24:34 pm »

No, not that I'm aware of. Even if you are ar peace, the [BABYSNATCHER] tag puts them at eternal hostilities. Actually, its also the reason they send ambushes.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:31:50 pm »

If they never stole babies, they won;t be at war with a given civ. Much more common if you removed that tag though.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »

It's much more common if you embark at an early date (i.e. Year 5 or sooner) so that nobody has time to initiate hostilities.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:58:51 pm »

Did you remove babysnatcher?

Babysnatcher makes them always hostile regardless of otherwise normal diplomacy.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:36:40 am »

Theres always a red line on the civ screen, not necessarily WAR. Pretty much what the other dude said about baby snatcher