Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Marksmen towers.  (Read 6031 times)

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Marksmen towers.
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 04:46:54 pm »

I haven't had it happen yet, but I always worry about a dragon or FB flying over and hanging out on top of my highest tower then raining down some type of death.  I guess with using drawbridges as shutters there is nothing to worry about, just wait for them to move off.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 05:42:06 pm »

Dragons don't fly, no worries. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 09:37:00 pm »

Yeah, the dragons don't.  But some FBs do, and marksgobs may be riding something that flies (leading to proper skirmishing tactics on the green-skin's part if that something prefers to run away from your dwarves instead of attacking).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 09:40:57 pm »

I haven't had it happen yet, but I always worry about a dragon or FB flying over and hanging out on top of my highest tower then raining down some type of death.  I guess with using drawbridges as shutters there is nothing to worry about, just wait for them to move off.
Except that magma-safe drawbridges aren't dragonfire proof. :D

Still, if the bridges are raised and breaks LoS it's on another Z-level which might give it some protection-- and if you have a few ditch moats around it the dragon won't be able to get close enough-- Maximum dragon breath range is what, 10-15 tiles?

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 10:04:19 pm »

Is *anything* dragonfire-safe in the new patch? It's like 50k Urists now afaik.  I'd imagine nether-cap would be because of the set temp, but idk about anything else.
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 10:09:38 pm »

someone should load up arena mode with an artifact door, a dragon and some living bait.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 03:11:02 am »

Except that magma-safe drawbridges aren't dragonfire proof. :D
Adamantine is highly dragonfire resistant...

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 03:19:56 am »

I'd rather not waste what precious adamantine I can gather on anything but armour and axes. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 03:21:10 am »

I'd rather not waste what precious adamantine I can gather on anything but armour and axes. :P
Make adamantine chain leggings, melt down and profit. Suddenly - bridges everywhere :D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 03:26:04 am »

Just a note here, but in vanilla DF dragons can't fly at all, so there is no danger that they would ever show up on top of your marksdwarf towers.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 03:31:11 am »

Make adamantine chain leggings, melt down and profit. Suddenly - bridges everywhere :D
You're a glorious person. ;_;

I think I used the same trick with crossbow bolts on a map with hardly any iron, ages back... didn't know you could do it with leggings.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 03:42:51 am »

My best guess is that he had not recieved a crossbow yet, and as such decided to be an idiot and try to punch a macelord in the face.
That, or he suddenly noticed that his uniform lacks exactly that one beautiful, perfect xtroll fur sockx laying outside the fort and decided to complete it.
Generally, it's advisable to order your military squads to move to some random spot periodically between sieges. That way they're less likely to go outdoors for some sock-hunting ‼Fun‼ when it's really battle stations time. (Another option is to mass forbid everything outside.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 2 [3]