Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Extreme enviromental climate do you prefer to make forts in?

Freezing
- 25 (32.1%)
Scorching
- 15 (19.2%)
Evil Freezing
- 14 (17.9%)
Evil Scorching
- 6 (7.7%)
Terrifying (Any Biome/Climate.)
- 18 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which Extreme Climate do you prefer?  (Read 3302 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Which Extreme Climate do you prefer?
« on: August 06, 2012, 02:30:44 pm »

What it says on the Tin.

Personally, I prefer Freezing environments over Scorching just due to the general isolated feel and the supposed beauty.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: Which Extreme Climate do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:35:59 pm »

I prefer Scorching due to any invaders dying to the heat

I chain any prisoners that survive outside my fort and let there fat melt so they bleed out.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:03:12 pm »

The things this games does to us.

It begins to make us wonder if we are the insane people or that the world is insane itself.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 03:42:06 pm »

Generally I prefer scorching to freezing.  I did a spell a year or two back of almost only glacial/tundra embarks and got really bored after a while of  them.  Deserts and badlands are fun (and generally flat) embarks with some nasty local wildlife but I used to frequently hit the old issue where it would rain right after i unpaused in the badlands or whatever and everyone would die horribly in boiling agony (this is fixed iirc)

Nowadays...only ever terrifying.  Biome and temp generally irrelevant through i still avoid both extremes.  I need evil zones though, zombies are the one thing I havent managed to learn to deal with.  But this isnt surprising since I've only run a couple of forts since 0.31
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 04:14:15 pm »

Freezing. I hate surface water... having everyone CHAERG up to get a drink when I forget to add booze orders is terrifying, and everything about burrows makes me want to shove a pencil up my urethra. I guess scorching would have the same effect, but sounds like it has obnoxious side effects. Besides, snow is purty.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 04:23:41 pm »

Freezing. I hate surface water... having everyone CHAERG up to get a drink when I forget to add booze orders is terrifying, and everything about burrows makes me want to shove a pencil up my urethra. I guess scorching would have the same effect, but sounds like it has obnoxious side effects. Besides, snow is purty.

There's a simple way of preventing them from doing that. Just tell your dwarves to drink from zones only in the (o)rders menu , but don't designate any zones.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:55 pm »

There's a simple way of preventing them from doing that. Just tell your dwarves to drink from zones only in the (o)rders menu , but don't designate any zones.

If they're thirsty enough, they ignore the order. I'd rather get cancellation spam from them trying to give water than get cancellation spam from them getting mauled by zombie cave dragon mounts. Nice try, though.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 04:58:13 pm »

Terrifying Glaciers or tundra. The lack of evil plantlife can be kinda lame, though.

Also, serene embarks near a necromancer tower or three. Delicious featherwood, unicorn bone decoration and zombie unicorns.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 05:29:12 pm »

Evil freezing.

Because White Walkers makes things more fun.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 05:58:25 pm »

Intense scorching climates make for the best prisons.

No one comes in without your say say so, sieges die and blister in the heat, caravans beg for mercy to be let in the cool of the caves.
The bleak and scorched bones lie in the desert as a warning to others and as a plentiful and unlimited resource for your bonecrafters.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 06:34:24 pm »

Freezing because I like to make ice forts.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 06:42:01 pm »

So far it seems people prefer evil and cold over the competition.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 07:36:06 pm »

So far it seems people prefer evil and cold over the competition.

Most people cant handle scorching due to small creatures dying about 1 minute after embark due to blood loss and fat melting
and the fact your dwarfs cant stay outside for about 3 minutes
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 08:45:13 pm »

If they're thirsty enough, they ignore the order. I'd rather get cancellation spam from them trying to give water than get cancellation spam from them getting mauled by zombie cave dragon mounts. Nice try, though.

You sure? I had an incident (albeit a few years ago) where my dwarves started dying of dehydration since I didn't realize I ran out of booze and I had that order set. I don't think Toady changed that.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 09:32:15 pm »

same as in real life, scorching. as someone who spent several years working outdoors, I see it this way; heat is a misery, but cold is a pain. being really hot makes you miserable, but being really cold is a painful experience. I would rather be unhappy than in pain any day. while sunburns may be painful, at least you dont get them if you stay in the shade. In dwarf fortress, I like the hot climes because the water never freezes, snow never comes, and most of the really hot places are my favored biomes. deserts, grasslands, and really hot swamps.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.
Pages: [1] 2