Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold Fortress  (Read 3310 times)

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
Kobold Fortress
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:52:17 pm »

I modded in Kobolds as a playable race with a few tweaks, I had to make them a bit larger since they couldnt pick up pickaxes or battleaxes for mining/woodcutting (anyone know a way around that? i prefer kobolds as little guys)  and my first test fortress as them just fell.

The only two survivors were:  a kitten that was being repeatedly bashed into a wall by a salt Clown that had managed to rip off one of the Clown’s arms before being rendered unconscious (holy fuck!) and was not injured at all besides one head wound and lots of bruises, and a baby that was in the corner of the same room that was for some reason being ignored, checking legends after abandoning the fortress, it appears the baby managed to escape the carnage, somehow.

Now, what I want is suggestions for my next Kobold fortress, and how I should mod the kobolds since currently they behave exactly like dwarves albeit slightly smaller and without the alcohol dependency, and I gave them a little natural skill in sneaking which had the unusual side-effect of causing all the children* to pick up bows and massacre wildlife, ignoring any commands to stop.

I don’t want to be 'too' true to current kobolds, since hiding in a cave cowering sounds kinda dull,  I’d like to play a more civilised** race of kobolds.
My current idea is to embark upon a road, build a trade depot on that road and raid every caravan that comes by (pretending that its some kind of camp site for weary travellers, rather than traders coming to visit me). The fortress itself will be hidden from view somehow

*Having multiple litters as common = LOTS of little kobold pups.
**Civilised in the same loose sense that Dwarves are civilised.

(oh, and thanks to deebus/Corai for making me love Kobolds!)

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:03:42 pm »

Just reduce the size of picks and axes in item_weapon or create new items with [SKILL:AXE] and [SKILL:MINING]. Perhaps even mod in something like spoons with both tags. For some reason spoons suit kobolds ;)

Oh, one more thing: I sense Corai lurking around somewhere in here.

Edit: Some of these tokens might make your kobold civilizations more interesting. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Entity_token
Perhaps even change dwarves into a more interesting race so they can cause you some annoyance. Perhaps babysnatching and item thiefing? (Though why would a dwarf steal kobold babies?)
By the way, do fortress kobolds still need to gnaw bones to live like their world gen versions?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:21:34 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 02:32:03 pm »

Just reduce the size of picks and axes in item_weapon or create new items with [SKILL:AXE] and [SKILL:MINING]. Perhaps even mod in something like spoons with both tags. For some reason spoons suit kobolds ;)

Edit: Some of these tokens might make your kobold civilizations more interesting. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Entity_token
Perhaps even change dwarves into a more interesting race so they can cause you some annoyance. Perhaps babysnatching and item thiefing? (Though why would a dwarf steal kobold babies?)
By the way, do fortress kobolds still need to gnaw bones to live like their world gen versions?

thanks for the tip! i've made pickaxes and training axes have a smaller requirement in size so kobolds can use them, and i've changed up what item kobolds can produce   (their military is going to be spears, large daggers and bows mostly,  with maces and scimitars beings their more exotic two-handed weapons).

I removed their bone-eating ways since that seemed a bit unpractical in fortress mode, i guess i could test out how that works though.  and I guess a dwarf might want a kobold child for their zoo since there seems to be some kind of consensus here that kobolds are cute...  though they will end up being an enemy anyway since I intend to steal from every caravan they send my way.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 02:33:35 pm »

Do your kolbolds lay eggs? If not something is horribly wrong.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 03:19:46 pm »

Do your kolbolds lay eggs? If not something is horribly wrong.

I prefer Kobolds of the canine variety, rather than the draconic/lizardy things. Dogs laying eggs is just weird.  (also hatching eggs is...quirky at best).

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 04:01:48 pm »

Aww, but that would be a fun new mechanic to mod in D:
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 05:59:55 pm »

You want Kobold City mod.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:03:31 pm »

Corai

Adept lurker
Legendary kobold

How did you discover me?!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:06:27 pm by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 06:21:50 pm »

there is a mod called kobold camp somewhere .

I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 07:18:19 am »

Now, what I want is suggestions for my next Kobold fortress, and how I should mod the kobolds since currently they behave exactly like dwarves albeit slightly smaller and without the alcohol dependency, and I gave them a little natural skill in sneaking which had the unusual side-effect of causing all the children* to pick up bows and massacre wildlife, ignoring any commands to stop.
Never change this.