Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: BYOR 9 - Game Over: Internet Died, Town Wins  (Read 109803 times)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 9 - Day 1: Terror 404 In MOLE
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2012, 12:49:08 am »

Crashing for the night, but:

Web: Votecount?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 9 - Day 1: Terror 404 In MOLE [1 Replacement]
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2012, 01:00:22 am »

But unlike you, Think does speak English.
Dariush doesn't speak English? But then what does he speak?

Erg, case of RL opened on me...
Glad I'm back now.
Now that you're back, why don't you do something?

Toaster: Please clarify what was your motive behind saying "good catch".
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2012, 01:13:41 am »

Crashing for the night, but:

Web: Votecount?
There's been like 3 vote changes. I don't think it's necessary.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2012, 01:57:55 am »

Daruish:
Sorry, I didn't notice your question.
borno, why did you ask Book specifically about mentioning it so early? When, in your opinion, should he have done it?
I thought that it was a scummy thing to do, but I guess that the first post would actually be the best time to claim.
Think:
borno: What do you mean by 'saying bus like that'? You used the term yourself in the same context. And yeah, it's a scum strategy, but it's one I'm not good at and wouldn't do.
Oh god sorry, I completely forgot about the question that I asked you. Sorry about the confusion.
zombie urist:
Why did you only tell Tiruin to start posting, instead of giving him anything to post to?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2012, 02:26:44 am »

Borno
I think that you [ZU] may scum, but I'm not too sure about anyone else.
Two questions for you:
a. If you think ZU is scum, why aren't you pressing him or questioning him more?
b. Your vote smells like an RVS due to your questioning (in your first ever post) yet you state the bolded part without...questioning everyone else and ending on a hanging line?

and PPE: Are you deliberately avoiding questions, as I'm seeing a lot of 'didn't notice your question' but in your (5) posts, you aren't giving anything else for others to chew on.

Why the lack of questioning, and what do you think about the current state of affairs at this time?

I'm a double voter.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2012, 09:15:02 am »

Tir: All kinds of roles I don't normally play with! I guess that's what BYOR is for.

Are you happy with your vote on borno (especially considering your doublevoter status)? You made it on your first post. Where'd it switch from an RVS vote to something more concrete?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2012, 09:58:15 am »

Мои глубочайшие сожаления, но я тебя не понимаю, уёбок хуев.
This also seemed notable:
Think0028: Suppose you were a scum doctor. How would you use your protect?
ZU: I'd probably just protect whoever looks town that we aren't planning on killing if I was a scum doctor. If a SK or a vigilante suddenly was obvious, then I'd start protecting the scumteam.
This seems disingenuous. A scum doctor would protect his buddies in case a SK or vig exists, before they became "suddenly obvious". While there's no real "wrong" answer to an RVS question, this reads more like an attempt not to think too much about how he'd act as scum. There were further question exchanges on this topic, and answers continued on the same fashion.

I think Think is scumk. Thinky, stinky scumk.
Now this is just ridiculous. You pull a case out of thin air and then turn over his every word to find anything that can even remotely help you get him lynched. Try harder, scum.

Dariush:  What is your case?  I don't see it, which is odd since you seem so convinced on it.
UI opened the game by asking the single scummiest question possible to ask without deliberately pondering over the scummiest possible thing to ask for several hours. After he proceeded to shut up and fade away and I mentally turned my vote on him into a FoS, he comes out with the bullshit fallacy that no townie can possibly expect to uncover scum. He did both things while it was still RVS. Hence my vote.

Xjspz:
I thought that it was a scummy thing to do, but I guess that the first post would actually be the best time to claim.
Wait... what? You just directly contradicted yourself in the same sentence. Moreover, it serves to illustrate that you directly copied whoever-was-that-who-accused-Book-of-the-same-thing-before-you's accusation without as much as giving it a thought. Yeah, fuck you too.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2012, 10:03:47 am »

Jim: In regards to your response to Hapah, outside of kills, what actions would you be wanting to stop at night?

What actions wouldn't you want to stop as a scum roleblocker?
Derp.  I misread the original question and didn't see that you were supposed to answer as scum. 

Dariush doesn't speak English? But then what does he speak?
I think English isn't Dariush's native language if I recall correctly.  Ditto with Tiruin.

I'm a double voter.
What made you decide to claim this now?

Tir: All kinds of roles I don't normally play with! I guess that's what BYOR is for.
What's the context for this response? 

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2012, 10:08:03 am »

Shake: It was because Tir was a double-voter, I'm not sure that I've ever played with one of those. Or a miller. Or probably half the other roles in the game.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2012, 10:15:50 am »

Are you happy with your vote on borno (especially considering your doublevoter status)? You made it on your first post. Where'd it switch from an RVS vote to something more concrete?

Happy? I'm not sure what you mean by happy. Content, perhaps, but unless I get something contributory out of borno (as in something along the lines of I'm-interested-in-finding-scum-and-not-only-giving-answers sort).

Something more concrete upon...reading his posts, I guess?

Also...did I even ask you a question on that matter or did you just want to say that? (First line)

I'm a double voter.
What made you decide to claim this now?
Well when I first received my role, I've been wondering if whether to claim early or not. Somethings went on my mind were: BYOR - Total randomness in roles with personal picks in the matter ; Semi-hammers ; Obviousness...And that I'd have to put that to use later on.

Thinking on it, it would help much more in future planning if I claimed early on than later, as I'm always assuming there are those who can affect votes//do something that is out of the ordinary here given what we've seen (like Tolyk's conditional[?] vote).

I think English isn't [Tiruin's] native language if I recall correctly.
Ayup!

Dariush: You're Russian?

PPE:
Err...yeah...I still don't get how this follows any question I asked(?) you.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2012, 10:23:46 am »

Tir (& Shake?): It wasn't in response to a question. It probably should have had a "A doublevoter?" or "So you're a doublevoter?" or similar in front of it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2012, 11:41:58 am »

borno:
zombie urist:
Why did you only tell Tiruin to start posting, instead of giving him anything to post to?
Why should zombie urist be responsible for Tiruin's content?

Dariush:
UI opened the game by asking the single scummiest question possible to ask without deliberately pondering over the scummiest possible thing to ask for several hours. After he proceeded to shut up and fade away and I mentally turned my vote on him into a FoS, he comes out with the bullshit fallacy that no townie can possibly expect to uncover scum. He did both things while it was still RVS. Hence my vote.
That's stupid. NUKE stupid.

Bookthras: Who do you suspect other than Think?

Extend.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2012, 02:03:38 pm »

Jim:
Actually, it would have been Freudian, as you are projecting a non-scum persona while (if you are scum) holding the underlying scum identity as subconscious to it. Your subconscious scum self would have answered the question instead of the assumed conscious townie. It doesn't mean you always subconsciously feel like scum, only when you actually are scum, which is when you have the additional subconscious scum layer and are "dynamically repressing" it.

A normal slip is when one merely misspeaks, a freudian slip is when the subconscious train of thought or personality shines through unexpectedly. Like consciously thinking "wouldn't" (because you want to convey that being scum is a hypothetical case), but saying "won't" (because in actuality it matches reality, and the underlying scum personality slips through).
Relevance to mafia: 0.061%
(And we can account for that amount through background relevance.)
Thank you for bring it up again, it gives me an opportunity to correct: after talking with someone who actually knows about the topic, Think is right in that the technical term Freudian slip doesn't quite apply, since there's a difference between "unconscious" and "deliberately secret", and that "dynamically repressed" doesn't mean what I thought it did. It is still consistent with the colloquial use of "Freudian slip", though, which has diluted the distinction considerably.

This however, does not change the argument that his slip (freudian or not) shows an underlying scum personality breaking through when he attempted and failed to answer the question like a townie would.

And you ignored my question about exactly this.
I assume you mean this one:
That's great. Who cares?
Why are you (and Toaster) yapping about miller theory when you could be building a case or stating your suspicions instead?
Didn't answer because it read like a rhetorical question, more so since you also weren't building a case or stating suspicions. But the answer is easy: I care and others seemed to, it's an interesting topic, and I explicitly said it should be the last exchange about it. Furthermore, I do not constrain myself to the list of "Jim-approved" topics for discussion. I'll talk about what I please, thank you.

Imiknorris:
Bookthras: Who do you suspect other than Think?
I have nothing really concrete yet. My gut suspects Toaster, Tolyk and you. Please tell me, what do you think about Tiruin's claim? Would you have claimed if you were a double voter? Why did you back down from the Think vote as soon as you were called out for it? What's your read on Dariush and Hapah so far?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2012, 03:19:05 pm »

Think:
Think
UI: Grammar mistake, should be "wouldn't". Anyways, clever idea on proving yourself doctor.

Sure it's not a Freudian slip, there?  I think it is.

Think0028:
UI: Grammar mistake, should be "wouldn't".
Yeah, grammar mistake... but it does read a bit freudian, doesn't it?

It might seem like a slip, but it's really just a grammar mistake.

Mmph.  I don't like it, but I can hardly drive a case out of it.  Unvote.

Shakerag, Jim, and ZU:
And what's your case on Think, outside of a "Freudian slip"?

You also didn't answer my question. Do you have a more concrete reason for voting Think0028 than you did before?

Toaster: Please clarify what was your motive behind saying "good catch".

I was going to pressure vote Think over his comment, except I was already voting him.  Due to that, I just quoted UI calling it out and agreed with it, waiting to hear Think's response.  The vote changed from an old RV to a pressure vote.  It doesn't have the justification behind it to make it a lynch vote, so it's gone now.

Tiruin:  Given you've already claimed your double voter status, does your vote count twice or do you have two separate votes you can split as desired?  If that's more than you want to disclose, you can disregard this question.

UI:
borno:
zombie urist:

Wait, what?  How is this voteworthy?

Dariush
Dariush:  What is your case?  I don't see it, which is odd since you seem so convinced on it.

Where does he say the underlined part?  I think you're making shit up to get him lynched.

BMC:  Come out and play.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2012, 04:04:31 pm »

Bookthras:
Please tell me, what do you think about Tiruin's claim? Would you have claimed if you were a double voter?
I see nothing out of the ordinary about it. If I was a double voter, I would have claimed as well.

Why did you back down from the Think vote as soon as you were called out for it?
I backed down because it was a pressure vote. RM4 taught me to be wary when calling someone out for a slip of the tongue keyboard, so I decided I'd only pursue it if Think overreacted.

What's your read on Dariush and Hapah so far?
Dariush: Loud, rude, obnoxious, pressing an imaginary case. Mildly scummy.
Hapah: Too quiet. Not much of a read.

For not having anything concrete, you sure don't seem to be doing much about it.

Toaster:
UI:
borno:
zombie urist:

Wait, what?  How is this voteworthy?
Because I need to learn not to post right after waking up. There was more but I forgot to put it in.

borno:
Think:
borno: What do you mean by 'saying bus like that'? You used the term yourself in the same context. And yeah, it's a scum strategy, but it's one I'm not good at and wouldn't do.
Oh god sorry, I completely forgot about the question that I asked you. Sorry about the confusion.
You're either panicking or trying to suck up to someone who's voting you. I'm not sure which.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28