Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28

Author Topic: BYOR 9 - Game Over: Internet Died, Town Wins  (Read 109797 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 9 - Day 1: Terror 404 In MOLE [1 Replacement]
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2012, 07:53:26 am »

Three-way tie? Nice. And by that I mean 'not nice at all'. Extend.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2012, 09:27:16 am »

Dar: Can't fault UI for pointing it out, I know I missed it. It probably was just a grammar mistake, though.

Jim: That's true enough. I was only in the last BYOP, and it was a little bit bloody.

UI: You are paranoid! You'd block your own team's NK just to get some credibility? Isn't that more than a little counterproductive?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2012, 10:08:08 am »

Toaster:
UI:  Good catch.
Do I smell buddying? I think I do.

Jim:
This sucks. Day ends tomorrow and we're still in fucking RVS. Extend.

So what are you going to do about it?
What I did about it.

Dariush:
Oh hey, you use the identical fallacy to the one that got me lynched out of blue in RL4.
You think I didn't learn anything from that game? It wasn't a lynch vote.

And it's the second time you do scummy shit this game. And we're still in RVS. Yeah, you're scum.
What was the first time?

Think:
UI: Grammar mistake, should be "wouldn't". Anyways, clever idea on proving yourself doctor.
Fair enough.

Hapah:
UI: You are paranoid! You'd block your own team's NK just to get some credibility? Isn't that more than a little counterproductive?
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. Besides, blocking a single kill would probably only turn LyLo into MyLo anyway. And it wouldn't be "some credibility," it'd be "nigh-confirmed town."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2012, 10:54:06 am »

UI:
Toaster:
Do I smell buddying? I think I do.

I was about to vote Think over it when I remembered I was already doing so from RVS.  Anything voteworthy like that still deserves comment.  Speaking of comment...

Think
UI: Grammar mistake, should be "wouldn't". Anyways, clever idea on proving yourself doctor.

Sure it's not a Freudian slip, there?  I think it is.

Dariush:  What is your case?  I don't see it, which is odd since you seem so convinced on it.

Jim:  Likewise, I don't see your case.  Is that a lynch vote?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2012, 11:01:45 am »

blackmagechill has replaced Dustylou2.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 9 - Sign-Ups [13 / 13+]
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2012, 11:06:54 am »

Vote Count
------------------------
Shakerag -
zombie urist - borno,
Dariush -
Urist Imiknorris - Dariush, Bookthras,
Toaster - Urist Imiknorris,
TolyK -
Think0028 - Toaster,
Hapah - Jim Groovester,
blackmagechill - Hapah,
Bookthras - Shakerag,
Tiruin -
Jim Groovester - TolyK,
borno - Tiruin, Think0028, zombie urist,
No Lynch -

Not Voting - blackmagechill,

7 To Hammer. Day Ends Thursday 6 PM Central.

Day has been extended.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 9 - Day 1: Terror 404 In MOLE
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2012, 12:49:22 pm »

BMC:  What is the scummiest thing you've seen so far in game?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2012, 02:18:27 pm »

Toaster: Why are you so concerned about where Dariush and Jim's votes are?  And what's your case on Think, outside of a "Freudian slip"?  Dariush's pissing and moaning about poor word choice still bounces around in the back of my head. 

Jim: In regards to your response to Hapah, outside of kills, what actions would you be wanting to stop at night?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2012, 03:45:06 pm »

Shakerag:  I care about making sure people have legitimate cases.  I will answer about Think after he responds to me.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2012, 10:45:03 pm »

Think0028:
UI: Grammar mistake, should be "wouldn't".
Yeah, grammar mistake... but it does read a bit freudian, doesn't it?

To cut short Dariush's objection:
borno: Nope. I don't know how to do a convincing bus, so I won't bother risking it.
"Won't"?
Oh hey, you use the identical fallacy to the one that got me lynched out of blue in RL4.
But unlike you, Think does speak English.

This also seemed notable:
Think0028: Suppose you were a scum doctor. How would you use your protect?
ZU: I'd probably just protect whoever looks town that we aren't planning on killing if I was a scum doctor. If a SK or a vigilante suddenly was obvious, then I'd start protecting the scumteam.
This seems disingenuous. A scum doctor would protect his buddies in case a SK or vig exists, before they became "suddenly obvious". While there's no real "wrong" answer to an RVS question, this reads more like an attempt not to think too much about how he'd act as scum. There were further question exchanges on this topic, and answers continued on the same fashion.

I think Think is scumk. Thinky, stinky scumk.

Also, a request for both Toaster and Think: please quote or link or paraphrase posts to which you are replying. It it hard to keep things in context when one has to go fish for the post you're referring to. Things like these are annoying:
borno: You used the term yourself in the same context.
It reads like "remember the thing with the guy at the place?" Context is nice.

Spoiler: OOT (click to show/hide)
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2012, 11:26:21 pm »

Think

Sure it's not a Freudian slip, there?  I think it is.

Think0028:
UI: Grammar mistake, should be "wouldn't".
Yeah, grammar mistake... but it does read a bit freudian, doesn't it?

It might seem like a slip, but it's really just a grammar mistake.

(Actually, even if it were a slip, it wouldn't be Freudian at all. If I was in fact scum, it would've just been a slip of the tongue. Unless you think I subconsciously always feel like I'm scum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freudian_slip)

Quote from: Bookthras
This also seemed notable:
Think0028: Suppose you were a scum doctor. How would you use your protect?
ZU: I'd probably just protect whoever looks town that we aren't planning on killing if I was a scum doctor. If a SK or a vigilante suddenly was obvious, then I'd start protecting the scumteam.
This seems disingenuous. A scum doctor would protect his buddies in case a SK or vig exists, before they became "suddenly obvious". While there's no real "wrong" answer to an RVS question, this reads more like an attempt not to think too much about how he'd act as scum. There were further question exchanges on this topic, and answers continued on the same fashion.

I think Think is scumk. Thinky, stinky scumk.

Also, a request for both Toaster and Think: please quote or link or paraphrase posts to which you are replying. It it hard to keep things in context when one has to go fish for the post you're referring to. Things like these are annoying:
borno: You used the term yourself in the same context.
It reads like "remember the thing with the guy at the place?" Context is nice.

Spoiler: OOT (click to show/hide)

No, that's exactly how I'd behave as scum. I gave it as much thought as I would if I was a scum doctor. Like UI's said elsewhere, trackers are a real concern, and protecting towny people would definitely give me a boost in the tracker's eyes. Not to mention that if my teammates are doing their job right, they wouldn't be targeted in the first place. This would change as the game went on, but I didn't want to spend a paragraph detailing the ins and outs of scum doc strategies. Do you think I'm wrong? Do you have more concrete examples other then "answers continued on the same fashion"?

Also, scumk?

Also, doing context now, and I have no idea what's wrong with LT, as I haven't even touched the code in months. I'll take a look.

TolyK, borno: Where are you guys?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2012, 11:46:02 pm »

It might seem like a slip, but it's really just a grammar mistake.
Hmm... maybe. I admit it's not much of a case, but it does rub me the wrong way, and so far I haven't found another place to hang my vote, so it stays for now.

(Actually, even if it were a slip, it wouldn't be Freudian at all. If I was in fact scum, it would've just been a slip of the tongue. Unless you think I subconsciously always feel like I'm scum.)
Actually, it would have been Freudian, as you are projecting a non-scum persona while (if you are scum) holding the underlying scum identity as subconscious to it. Your subconscious scum self would have answered the question instead of the assumed conscious townie. It doesn't mean you always subconsciously feel like scum, only when you actually are scum, which is when you have the additional subconscious scum layer and are "dynamically repressing" it.

A normal slip is when one merely misspeaks, a freudian slip is when the subconscious train of thought or personality shines through unexpectedly. Like consciously thinking "wouldn't" (because you want to convey that being scum is a hypothetical case), but saying "won't" (because in actuality it matches reality, and the underlying scum personality slips through).

Also, scumk?
"I think Think is scum" didn't sound right. The two hard K sounds demanded a "rule of three" at the end. Ignore it, I just thought it was funny at the time.

Also, doing context now, and I have no idea what's wrong with LT, as I haven't even touched the code in months. I'll take a look.
Thanks for both. Let me know if I can help.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2012, 11:54:56 pm »

Erg, case of RL opened on me...

Glad I'm back now.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2012, 12:29:01 am »

That's 6/7 extension requests needed.

I'll up the amount of people it requires if you all don't start playing.

I thought you used to be all about having extensions be super easy to get.

Jim:  Likewise, I don't see your case.  Is that a lynch vote?

Nah. More a completely worthless pressure vote that failed to turn up a single god damn thing.

Unvote.

You also didn't answer my question. Do you have a more concrete reason for voting Think0028 than you did before?

Jim: In regards to your response to Hapah, outside of kills, what actions would you be wanting to stop at night?

What actions wouldn't you want to stop as a scum roleblocker?

Obviously kills not directed at the scum team, but inspections, protections, redirections, tracking, PGOing, etc. etc. etc. etc.

There's a ton of stuff that could potentially reveal a scum team, and you'd want to stop all of that from happening.

Actually, it would have been Freudian, as you are projecting a non-scum persona while (if you are scum) holding the underlying scum identity as subconscious to it. Your subconscious scum self would have answered the question instead of the assumed conscious townie. It doesn't mean you always subconsciously feel like scum, only when you actually are scum, which is when you have the additional subconscious scum layer and are "dynamically repressing" it.

A normal slip is when one merely misspeaks, a freudian slip is when the subconscious train of thought or personality shines through unexpectedly. Like consciously thinking "wouldn't" (because you want to convey that being scum is a hypothetical case), but saying "won't" (because in actuality it matches reality, and the underlying scum personality slips through).

Relevance to mafia: 0.061%

(And we can account for that amount through background relevance.)

If I ignore your flimsy vote (admitted by you), your posts are still mostly pointless fluff. Looks like scum trying to pad out post length to me.

And you ignored my question about exactly this. Thanks, dude. Bookthras.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2012, 12:31:15 am »

That's 6/7 extension requests needed.

I'll up the amount of people it requires if you all don't start playing.

I thought you used to be all about having extensions be super easy to get.
I thought people weren't super lurky. Why give people time when they won't use it?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28