Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: BYOR 9 - Game Over: Internet Died, Town Wins  (Read 109765 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 9 - Day 1: Terror 404 In MOLE
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 04:18:16 pm »

Jim:  Given you don't usually BYOR, what do you expect coming into this game?

Unpredictable bullshit.

Jim, why does it burn your eyes? :P More seriously, why do you think you were chosen as a person to speak in the intro? And what do you think will be more important - scumhunting (and lynching) or roleusing?

I dunno, it's probably because WUBA thinks I'm awesome and that I should be included in the opening flavor. As it should be.

Scumhunting is always more important.

xkcd? Or?

You've never seen Goldfinger, have you?

Tiruin, it's Day 1 and the game has just started. What sort of RVS questions do you ask to make people think you care about the hunt?

Hapah, this is an RVS question. Or is it?

dustylou2, let's say you're a relatively new player to the subforum but you've played in a few games and read more. How best do you use your status to blend in as scum?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 04:25:55 pm »

No, I haven't. Should go do that some time.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 04:29:35 pm »

It is unless it isn't!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Dustylou2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard of Yendor hits! You die... DYWYPI?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 04:34:39 pm »

Hapah: For town-aligned roles, I would love to be a cop or a vig. Cop could potentially clear a suspect for me, or better yet, give me a positive result and tell me who to aim for. Vig allows me to skip the argument step and just flat-out kill someone I suspect.
For anti-town, I would love to be SK just once, even though it's hard to win with from what I gather.
This is my first BYOR.

Jim: I would try to do what any successful scum does: act as townlike as possible. I wouldn't try to use my inexperience as a crutch, since the excuse of being new doesn't seem effective at staving off lynch votes.

Toaster: If you had a choice, what would you rather have: an unlimited-use roleblock, or a one-use kill?

Tiruin: If you could choose to be any role with a kill, what would you choose?

Urist Imiknorris: Do you think flavor will be important in this game?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2012, 04:41:53 pm »

It is unless it isn't!

Good answer.

But vote stays.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 10:05:59 pm »

Can I get a spoil spec on this?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 9 - Sign-Ups [13 / 13+]
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 10:14:23 pm »

BMC:
Wuba doesn't spoilspec, sadly.  :'(

Dustylou:
Urist Imiknorris: Do you think flavor will be important in this game?
Considering webadict is the mod, no.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »

Think0028: Suppose you were a scum doctor. How would you use your protect?

TolyK: Would you rather be a vigilante or a doctor?

Dariush: Suppose you were scum. Would you rather be a redirector or bus driver and why?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 11:44:17 pm »

Wuba: Hey, flavour! Good to see you got inspired. Great stuff.

Imiknorris:
Book: You're scum and it's N1. Who do you kill?
Too early to say, it would depend on how the day went. A good rule of thumb is to kill whoever I judge is least likely to be protected, but other factors would also be considered by the time night comes.

Shakerag:
Bookthras: What's your opinion on the semi-hammers rule?  How does it impact your playstyle?
I like it generally, wouldn't mind if it was used more often. Doesn't change my game much, other than to be wary of wagons and people reflex-voting or surpsire-hammering. It has happened in earlier games that someone made a very scummy move at the end of a day, so as soon as the next day opens everybody and his dog jumps in with "why did you do that? vote!" with the end result of hammering prematurely, ending the next day before any useful discussion could be had.

But as long as people watch out for this, it's a great way to move the game forward once a consensus is reached (especially later in the game), instead of endless extensions and lurking, and can give additional insight into people wagoning or putting others at L-1.

Tolyk: If you were town and had a one-shot daykill, when would you use it?

borno: If you were a survivor, would you claim so? When?

Imiknorris: How would you play as a jester?

Also, I should mention that I am a miller.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2012, 12:05:38 am »

I'd lurk D1, then start scumming it up D2 - chainsaw defending someone, buddying up to somebody else, the works. Then I'd obviously self-hammer once I've gotten enough votes. This assumes, of course, that I'm not struck by the kind of stupid that happened in RL5.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2012, 01:07:24 am »

ZU: I'd probably just protect whoever looks town that we aren't planning on killing if I was a scum doctor. If a SK or a vigilante suddenly was obvious, then I'd start protecting the scumteam.

UI: Reasonable responses. Would you sacrifice yourself if your good teammate suggested bussing you in addition to the weak member?
Considering you think BMC is scummy in general, if he behaves scummily this game, how much leeway would you give him before truly suspecting him? I.E. how much will the white noise of his innate scumminess ruin your scumdar?

Dariush: I love being a Serial Killer because it's so far from the norm. If I had to pick scum or town, I'd go scum because it's generally much clearer what needs to be done as scum.

Tiruin, Toaster: Still waiting on both of you. 
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2012, 01:37:16 am »

TolyK: Would you rather be a vigilante or a doctor?
I'd rather be a vigilante - easier to find someone scummy to kill than guess who would be shot at.
Tolyk: If you were town and had a one-shot daykill, when would you use it?
I'd use it in conjunction with a plan, or, if there wasn't one, I'd probably use it second day to get sort of a double-lynch. I'd probably tell everyone else, though.
Why? And how do we trust you?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2012, 02:13:23 am »

Bookthras:
borno: If you were a survivor, would you claim so? When?
I depends on the situation. If I can get through the whole game without being on the lynching block, great. However, if I know that I'm about to get lynched of, I'd probably claim.

Why are you mentioning this so early? And why should we believe this?

Shakerag:
borno: You're in a large game with three NK'd players already.  If you had a 1-shot to give you the identity of the killer, who would you use it on?
-Somewhat scummy player, flipped as town
-Strong player, flipped as scum
-Lurker, flipped as survivor.
I'd probably chose the slightly scummy player, because we would know for a fact that he was killed by either scum, a SK, or a vig, and having a 1/3 chance of catching scum is not too shabby chances. On the other hand, if I chose the scum, then we would probably catch the SK, unless if the Vig's NK was completely random.

...And now I think I'm over-thinking this.

zombie urist:
What of these powers would you like best?
-A kill ability,
-The ability to talk in dead chat,
-Or an one-shot revive ability?

Think:
Do you think you'd bus a scumbuddy if you thought that it might help you look better to the other town?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2012, 09:14:06 am »

UI: Reasonable responses. Would you sacrifice yourself if your good teammate suggested bussing you in addition to the weak member?
Not unless it was LyLo or close to it.

Considering you think BMC is scummy in general, if he behaves scummily this game, how much leeway would you give him before truly suspecting him? I.E. how much will the white noise of his innate scumminess ruin your scumdar?
BMC isn't in this game. If he replaced in, my initial suspicion would probably have to come from my read on his predecessor. Beyond that, I'd look for tells other than him just saying scummy things - ignoring who he's voting, defending someone who flips scum, etc.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2012, 11:18:14 am »

Tiruin: If you could choose to be any role with a kill, what would you choose?
You mean any role that is known? (Meaning those in the mafiascum wiki//flash mafia interactive?)

Poisoner, because I believe watchers and trackers would be fooled by the non-aggression act if they had acted on me, and I wouldn't have done the kill that night, theoretically.

Or...did you mean any role meaning anything that isn't related to the generic mafia roles, because this is a BYOR, and I can see a whole compendium of killing ideas to send to Wuba...

Tiruin, it's Day 1 and the game has just started. What sort of RVS questions do you ask to make people think you care about the hunt?
Questions that would be open enough for conversation and that would be concise enough to get the person's thoughts clearly. Not utterly random questions, in short. Random questions that have points to them.

Tiruin: Are you scum, you scum?
Nope.jpg

Tiruin: You performed quite well in the last BM, my apprentice. What did you feel you learned from that game?
Well, I learned how to appear cautious and not to panic at trivial, pointed questions aimed at my scummitude there. When to take risks in posting attacks against others when you know they're innocent (didn't help my conscience, but thanks to what Book said earlier, scum aren't bad guys in relation to that) and lastly, what to do when your scumbuddy is taking flak.

Long term goal is to win, and I learned that taking priority on that condition is better than the short term (ie going for easy//newbie lynch).

borno
Think:
Do you think you'd bus a scumbuddy if you thought that it might help you look better to the other town?
Err, other town? If the person in question is scum, how can that look better to the other town?

On that note, as this is a semi-hammer game, how would that fact affect your playstyle?

ZU
ZU: Are you going to single-handedly win the game again, or will you let the rest of us play?
I,ll try.  :P
You'll try to single-handedly win the game?

Jim Groovester: Seeing the influx of new players, how would you approach their case if they made a scumslip in comparison to as if a veteran player made the same?

UI
I'd lurk D1, then start scumming it up D2 - chainsaw defending someone, buddying up to somebody else, the works. Then I'd obviously self-hammer once I've gotten enough votes. This assumes, of course, that I'm not struck by the kind of stupid that happened in RL5.
What kind of stupid then? Roguelike V, right? You were a lyncher back there, not a jester.

Bookthras: Do you believe the flavor given by the Mod could be used (in all their entirety), to link up kills, roleblocks, protects...the like? Meaning, do you think flavor in general can be used as an aid to scumhunting?

Dustylou2: Nice to see new blood in here! Now, let me ask: What are the most eminent lessons you've learned thus far in playing forum Mafia.

Also, let's roll out a situation. We've two players with 6 votes each on D1, with your vote being the last one to fall. Here, you are an SK. The first player hasn't acted that scummy in comparison to the other, but has claimed miller. The second acted panicky, aggressive and newb-like. Who would you land your vote for, and why?

Think: If you were a double voter-type, how would you best spend that power in finding scum?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28