Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: BYOR 9 - Game Over: Internet Died, Town Wins  (Read 109705 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 9 - Day 1: Terror 404 In MOLE
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2012, 01:34:03 pm »

Think:
How about you Toaster? What would you most like to have?

Something unusual and unique that would require proper strategy to use correctly.  BYOR is a time to break away from the cop/doc/vig/whatever routine.

Shakerag:  Probably tracking.  In a game like this, you're more likely to see something of note following someone (since almost everyone has an action) than watching player X to see who visits.  (Unless Web is in the game, then you can watch him N1 to see a horde of visitors.  Of course, you still then don't know which one killed him.)

Jim:  And how do you deal with unpredictable bullshit?

Dusty:  Hmmm... probably the kill.  As town, I'm not overly likely to go into night with a person I'm willing to kill that often, while a town roleblocker can misfire a lot.  As scum, a roleblock is more powerful (since you can use it better), but likewise an extra kill is stronger (since it could potentially break LYLO.)

Book:  What caused you come around to my side of the camp concerning miller claims?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2012, 03:16:18 pm »

I hope there's internet at my summer camp. Otherwise I have an automated action that will take place. (I hope).
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2012, 09:43:15 pm »

Tolyk, borno:
Also, I should mention that I am a miller.
Why? And how do we trust you?
Also, I should mention that I am a miller.
Why are you mentioning this so early? And why should we believe this?
If one is a miller, claiming it at the first opportunity is a way to allow town to employ inspection resources more wisely, since it tells you ahead of time what you'd get. Some (like Toaster or Mr.Person) would tell you this is optimal play always; I'm not quite so sure (I don't do dogma), but I'll give it a go so I can have a more informed opinion.

But you shouldn't "believe" or "trust" it, you should merely be aware that I claimed it. I'm not lying, but you can't know that for sure; so you should instead attempt to ascertain my and others' alignment through hunting, whether they claimed miller or not.

Claiming it doesn't make me either more likely scum or more likely town. It's just to avoid surprises later.

Toaster:
Book:  What caused you come around to my side of the camp concerning miller claims?
I'll try anything once.

Tiruin:
Bookthras: Do you believe the flavor given by the Mod could be used (in all their entirety), to link up kills, roleblocks, protects...the like? Meaning, do you think flavor in general can be used as an aid to scumhunting?
Not really. I would like it if we could, but I know wuba tends not to be too invested in flavour; I'm very glad it is there (I like flavour), but I expect it will be purely decorative. Plus, in order to aid scumhunting, it should have some elements of consistency and predictability across games, while in this case it seems to be an ad hoc scenario created solely for this game.

That said, if as the phases progress we can discern some hard data in the flavour tied to action results or the like, I'd reevaluate that answer and we should look closer. I would like that, but it's a low probability scenario.

Hapah, Shakerag: if you had a vote-stealing power, how would you choose who to target with it? How would this answer change depending of your alignment?

Imiknorris: I'd like to hear your answer to the question Zombie asked Tolyk ("Would you rather be a vigilante or a doctor?"); if you were scum, would you prefer to be a doctor or a roleblocker?

No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2012, 12:10:56 am »

I hope there's internet at my summer camp. Otherwise I have an automated action that will take place. (I hope).
So...you've an automated action that will take place, and you hope it happens?

Huh?

Conditional action?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2012, 12:18:35 am »

No, I gave Wuba an action and an exact time to use it, which I hope to cancel by finding internet at my summer camp. >.> (This is in the morning right before going)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Dustylou2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard of Yendor hits! You die... DYWYPI?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2012, 03:10:04 am »

Unfortunately, due to current circumstances I don't have time to give enough time to give mafia games any justice. As such, Unvote, Request Replacement. I'm really sorry about this...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2012, 05:55:36 am »

Jim Groovester: Seeing the influx of new players, how would you approach their case if they made a scumslip in comparison to as if a veteran player made the same?

I tend to give them more slack unless they slip up in a way that I feel strongly indicates that they're scum. These are a very specific set of scumtells, usually that new scum make on their first few times as scum.

Otherwise, the approach is mostly the same: ask any questions I feel like asking.

Jim:  And how do you deal with unpredictable bullshit?

By gritting my teeth and sucking it up.

Oh, you mean in game?

Fuck if I know. It's unpredictable bullshit. Like in BYOP1, where five people died in one night and I would've died too if I hadn't been the luckiest son of a bitch to get protected. What are you supposed to do about that? How do you make a plan to deal with that? Bait the protect? Avoid the bomb? These are not the sorts of things that can be easily done or planned for.

Or in another BYOR, where I got converted to a cult, and then Pandarsenic dropped off the face of his midterms. How do you deal with shit like that?

Or in Witches' Coven 1. Three killing roles, none of them belonging to the scum team. The fuck are you supposed to do?

Or in Witches' Coven 2. A fucking mole on the scum team. What the hell, man? How was that a good idea?

Some of these examples are obviously not BYOX type games, but the principle remains the same: unpredictable bullshit happens and since it's unpredictable bullshit it's hard to deal with, so there's not much use getting worked up about it.

Hapah, are you just going to sit there and let my vote rest on you all day? Also, you've been quiet since I cast it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2012, 03:21:32 pm »

TolyK:

Why are you so quick to drop these tidbits of claim?  I recall this from another game we were in... BSER, I think?  If you just sent in a conditional action (perform Foo on X unless I say otherwise) what is the purpose of saying it publicly?

Book:  Let me know how it works for you.

Jim:  Fair enough.

Hapah:  It's day 2 and three people died last night.  You had redirected a player you thought was scummy to one of the people who died.  Do you claim and out this information?

Shakerag:  Say you were scum and had a one-shot conversion to your team that didn't require your death.  Would you rather pick a slightly scummy player who you had been scum with before to good effect or a townie enough person of mid-level skill?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2012, 05:14:21 pm »

Sorry Jim, was out of town all weekend. Will try to reread all the threads tonight.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2012, 06:51:11 pm »

Tiruin:
What kind of stupid then? Roguelike V, right? You were a lyncher back there, not a jester.
Getting killed for a stupid reason N1 would hurt the plans of both lyncher and jester.

Bookthras:
Imiknorris: I'd like to hear your answer to the question Zombie asked Tolyk ("Would you rather be a vigilante or a doctor?"); if you were scum, would you prefer to be a doctor or a roleblocker?
I'd rather be a vigilante - I trust my scum-finding ability more than my NK-target-guessing one.

As scum, I'd rather be a doctor, because as I told Think, nobody suspects the doctor.

borno: If you had a (non one-shot) inspect, how would you decide who to use it on?

Dariush: Are you going to do anything?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2012, 10:43:21 pm »

zombie urist:
What of these powers would you like best?
-A kill ability,
-The ability to talk in dead chat,
-Or an one-shot revive ability?
Killing is great fun, so killing.
ZU
You'll try to single-handedly win the game?
Yup.

Borno: why did you raise the exact same concerns about Bookthras' claim as Tolyk's post right before yours?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2012, 11:22:12 pm »

zombie urist:
Borno: why did you raise the exact same concerns about Bookthras' claim as Tolyk's post right before yours?
Because I thought the same as him.

UI:
borno: If you had a (non one-shot) inspect, how would you decide who to use it on?
I would probably inspect someone who I thought was scummy during the day.

Tiruin:
borno
Think:
Do you think you'd bus a scumbuddy if you thought that it might help you look better to the other town?
Err, other town? If the person in question is scum, how can that look better to the other town?

On that note, as this is a semi-hammer game, how would that fact affect your playstyle?
Sorry, I noticed this after I posted, but I didn't think It'd make that much of a difference. What I meant was to the town, not the other town.

I've never played a semi-hammer before, so I'm not sure how It'll change my playstyle.

Daruish:
Where are you? Also, what would you do to escape heat if you made a scumslip and were called up on it?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2012, 12:00:17 am »

Book: Man, that's a broad question. It depends on the specifics of how the power works. Do people know that I stole a vote? Does the victim know that he is voteless?

Toaster: No, I redirect him to someone else who I think is scummy and see what happens (and it's helpful if there is kill flavor so I can see if it's the same guy doing the murderin' )
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2012, 08:37:49 am »

I AM DEAD.

Or, more specifically, I had a crappy week and a craptacular weekend. Hence the lack of activity.

Daruish:
Where are you? Also, what would you do to escape heat if you made a scumslip and were called up on it?
I don't see a player named Daruish in this game. In the extremely unlikely happenstance that this was actually adressed to me, I'd look at the situation, since you can fit an extreme variety of things under an umbrella 'scumslip' term.

Dariush: Are you going to do anything?
Yes. And by that I mean yes.

borno, why did you ask Book specifically about mentioning it so early? When, in your opinion, should he have done it?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2012, 11:27:44 am »

Hapah, Shakerag: if you had a vote-stealing power, how would you choose who to target with it? How would this answer change depending of your alignment?
I don't think I've ever had one.  Hmm.  I'm assuming this would activate at night, so the next day my target would be voteless?  Easy option: whoever is up for replacement.  Second easy option: whoever is confirmed scum.  Third option: whoever I think is voting with the 'worst' reasons (i.e. with little to no suspicion at all).  I'd likely follow that reasoning regardless of alignment.

Shakerag:  Say you were scum and had a one-shot conversion to your team that didn't require your death.  Would you rather pick a slightly scummy player who you had been scum with before to good effect or a townie enough person of mid-level skill?
Either choice would be of about equal benefit, I think.  In the first case, the convert could turn things around to not appear as scummy, and then we'd be all the stronger for it.  In the second case, you've got a decent player who isn't showing up on anyone's scum-dar yet.  Either way, you've got an extra scumbuddy and more insurance for the scumteam to win.

RL calls, more later.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28