Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]

Author Topic: BYOR 9 - Game Over: Internet Died, Town Wins  (Read 109669 times)

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 9 - Game Over: Internet Died, Town Wins
« Reply #405 on: September 05, 2012, 12:09:50 pm »

Meh. My last day game sucked.  :(
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 05, 2012, 01:36:34 pm »

Dariush, if I was obvious scum, why were you the only one to notice or care?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 05, 2012, 01:52:25 pm »

Because I wasn't there :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 05, 2012, 05:18:50 pm »

Woo, I won the game for town!
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 05, 2012, 05:35:46 pm »

You and Tolyk both showed up in the 11th hour for the save. I'm rather amazed that we won. I don't feel like we really earned it.

Tolyk: Did you realize you'd hammered?

Book:
Quote from: Book in Deadchat
That was exactly the reason Imiknorris shot me, yes, and Hapah figured it out. Mah boy there is smart!
<3
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 05, 2012, 09:48:56 pm »

Oh yeah. Web, great game! You know the open secret of running games: Give the people what they want![/i] You find the players then make the game, not make the game then find the players. Thanks.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2012, 10:45:07 pm »

You and Tolyk both showed up in the 11th hour for the save. I'm rather amazed that we won. I don't feel like we really earned it.

Tolyk: Did you realize you'd hammered?
Yep, and when I read ZU's post after that I smiled. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 06, 2012, 02:50:16 am »

Good game Wuba!

For once, someone targets me N1!

With a kill! XD

Edit: I died N1 because I was being...what?  :'(
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:53:09 am by Tiruin »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 06, 2012, 06:38:53 am »

Because everyone else was fuckingly stupid and blind to everything that didn't pertain to their particular perception of scummitude. Two specific examples would be Book and Jim.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 06, 2012, 08:50:38 am »

Tiruin:  Process of elimination, mostly.

Spoiler: From Scumchat (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 06, 2012, 09:28:57 am »

Because everyone else was fuckingly stupid and blind to everything that didn't pertain to their particular perception of scummitude. Two specific examples would be Book and Jim.
No. It's because you fail to do your job, and don't try to prove anything. Basically, you just guess it's somebody, and if you're right, you gloat about how you're always right, and if you're wrong, you'll switch until you are right. Like how you definitely were right on all 4 of the people with no exceptions.

Point being, wooooooooooow Dariush guessed it riiiiiiiight. He might get to sit at the big kid table next year!

Oh yeah. Web, great game! You know the open secret of running games: Give the people what they want! You find the players then make the game, not make the game then find the players. Thanks.
Eh, that doesn't make a good game. Good games can be made first. The point of a good game is to make the game fun. That's a lot tougher than it appears, but basically, you have to follow a few basic ideas:

1) Makes sure everybody can DO something. This one's pretty easy, since everybody can vote. However, in role-heavy games, townies are viewed as less desirable and therefore less fun. And you didn't join a BYOR to play a townie, right?

2) Make sure everybody can UNDERSTAND their role. This avoids confusing roles or actions with confusing abilities, and most importantly, this avoids non-described actions. You can't have an action be "This does something random to the target" because that could mean anything. It could be negative or positive. Descriptions help, and it also means I answer less questions.

3) Make sure everybody can USE their role. Blocks are a really annoying thing in a game. So are action constraints. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but too many can hurt. For instance, Pandarsenic's Litter of Kittens role had a random number of kittens to use for actions. This was dumb of me. He should have been told it was 9. Why? Because it helps him use his role. A better example is the Red Mage from the same game. He was told he had 10 MP. Or Toaster's Internet IP Points. He knew how many he had and could plan accordingly.

4) Make sure everybody can WIN. Pretty standard, but somebody with a wickedly tough alignment (sk) would definitely need some help. It doesn't have to be fair, but they can't be incredibly unfair (1 mafia, 12 town... unless that mafia is loaded, but even then it's tough).

5) Make sure everybody can PLAY. This means removing things like 3 blockers. Or 3 cops. Because that overload ruins the game, and makes everyone else feel useless. A bad example from this game is Bookthras' kidnap ability. The kidnapped person can't play. So, if I ever use an ability like that, I'll need to make it work better. Like, they can still action their kidnapper, they learn his identity, or they can at least talk to the guy. Something to make it so they can play the game still.

6) Make sure everybody can HAVE FUN. Don't make the game punishable through stupid acts (post in only 3 words). Yeah, seems like fun? Then you've got to find better things to do. It's just not worth it to play a game that makes sure you can't type e's. This is why I will never institute a post restriction. Ever. I mean, bastard type, sure. That's kinda what you signed up for. But, you didn't sign up for BYOR to learn you get 2 posts a day.

Basically, you signed up for a game to play it. You want to have fun. You want to know what's happening (or at least try to figure it out). You want to use what you've got. And finally, you want to win. If I miss one of these things, it's my fault, but it also lies on players to play and try. I can only provide the outline for the game. Everything that happens inside it is pretty much the players. So, thanks for a hilarious game, all. I'll continue to *try* to write flavor in games. I enjoyed writing the death poems, at least.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 06, 2012, 10:32:34 am »

Good advice- I suggest reposting it to the tutorial or general modding thread.

Also, you still owe me a death poem!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]