Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Voile Fortress - v1.5 - Koas are Striking the Earth  (Read 22028 times)

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
Re: Voile Fortress - v1.4 - Koas are Striking the Earth
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2012, 12:55:22 am »

Might I supply a goofier, alternate Koakumian language?

Pastebin

Came up with it while playing late at night.

On another note, in every world I've created with this mod active, the Koakumian civilizations seem to be... not very good at surviving.  Looking at the civilizations in Legends mode, nearly every Koakumian one ends with variations of "bodies horribly mutilated"; those that don't are ones formed just before the end of worldgen.  On the entire map, there's only about 1-2 Koakuma towers, usually surrounded by various goblin settlements.

Oh god, so much YES to the language! Do you know how often I sometimes have the thoughts of Koakuma talking in pokemon speak? This fits in a very funny way.

Anyways, also dropping by to let you know like Patchouli's Garden of Gensokyo, I will be watching this project to see how it goes. ^^ I'm looking forward to playing this soon.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2012, 06:09:03 am »

Pastebin

On another note, in every world I've created with this mod active, the Koakumian civilizations seem to be... not very good at surviving.  Looking at the civilizations in Legends mode, nearly every Koakumian one ends with variations of "bodies horribly mutilated"; those that don't are ones formed just before the end of worldgen.  On the entire map, there's only about 1-2 Koakuma towers, usually surrounded by various goblin settlements.

I should totally put that in an 'optional' folder in the mod, so people can choose to play with a goofy language. Hrrmmmmm.

And now that you mention it, I think you're right. I'm not sure what is causing that, but I do tend to see few Koakumian civilizations, and the ones that remain have a tendency to have their capitals pillaged and captured by goblins or elves. I'm not sure why that happens so often though, they SHOULDN'T be that weak considering they are based on Humans, and you don't see Humans constantly being reduced to rubble.

Oh god, so much YES to the language! Do you know how often I sometimes have the thoughts of Koakuma talking in pokemon speak? This fits in a very funny way.

Anyways, also dropping by to let you know like Patchouli's Garden of Gensokyo, I will be watching this project to see how it goes. ^^ I'm looking forward to playing this soon.

Thanks! I'm probably going to have Suika added in by today, after work. Then I can get that ready for a release, and begin working on iconing up the Tengus.
Not to sound mean, but your raws are a total mess Tokatu. How you work with them, is a mystery to me. :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2012, 06:53:20 am »

My guess is he just deleted random linebreaks just to troll us. At least, that's what I would do.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2012, 07:16:39 am »

My guess is he just deleted random linebreaks just to troll us. At least, that's what I would do.

Curses! *shakes fist*
It doesn't help I like to try and SEMI organize things... sometimes. Probably why underground fortresses bug me sometimes. I get it all nice and uniform then BAM a vein ruins all the coloring.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2012, 07:23:49 am »

Mine all the stone, then rebuild the mountain out of the blocks.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2012, 08:05:01 am »

Mine all the stone, then rebuild the mountain out of the blocks.

Not a bad idea, aside from the unfortunate fact you can't engrave constructed walls. Alas.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2012, 11:00:54 am »

Pastebin

That is hilarious. Nice work.

There is also obsidian casting a fort for a nice uniform colour. Though that requires a good bit of setup. I usually just mine out the vein and wall it back over though. I only engrave rooms like the dining hall, noble tombs, and noble rooms. So the random block walls where veins were usually don't stand out from the engraved walls. Also as a side effect of running my mineral settings so low, I often have a couple layers of just layer stone. Those are favorite places to dig out the major parts of my fort.

Edit: I've also noticed the Koas dieing very easily in world gen. Have had to gen mutliple worlds each update to find the ones with living civs. I haven't tinkered with it any, but from an initial glance they may need to be less picky about where they place towers. Basically give them some more biome supports would be the first thing I would try, to fix it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:25:59 am by Patchy »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2012, 11:54:27 am »

Once I get to making a wiki article, I'll make a page just for the language, and the text will be untranslated koa. Also doubles as an experiment to see how long, if at all, it would take until such a page would be purged.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2012, 11:58:15 am »

Pastebin

That is hilarious. Nice work.

There is also obsidian casting a fort for a nice uniform colour. Though that requires a good bit of setup. I usually just mine out the vein and wall it back over though. I only engrave rooms like the dining hall, noble tombs, and noble rooms. So the random block walls where veins were usually don't stand out from the engraved walls. Also as a side effect of running my mineral settings so low, I often have a couple layers of just layer stone. Those are favorite places to dig out the major parts of my fort.

Edit: I've also noticed the Koas dieing very easily in world gen. Have had to gen mutliple worlds each update to find the ones with living civs. I haven't tinkered with it any, but from an initial glance they may need to be less picky about where they place towers. Basically give them some more biome supports would be the first thing I would try, to fix it.

I'm not sure if Koas are dieing in world gen due to lack of places to settle - as I think they use somewhat like human parameters - but that they seem to get completely killed off. They DO have different ethnics, after all.

@Darvi:
That is genius. We will now make a fully usable Koakuma language, then make it officially recognized. Like Klingon.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2012, 12:16:43 pm »

I do hope you mean ethics because the alternative seems to delve into black humour.

Ohoho see what I did there?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2012, 12:23:06 pm »

I do hope you mean ethics because the alternative seems to delve into black humour.

Ohoho see what I did there?

Yeah, I meant that.
Koakumas are red after all!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2012, 12:37:36 pm »

I know the skewed gender ratio isn't to blame. I've modded Kohaku's Naga race to be even more skewed female to male than what you have for the Koas. And they are still very aggresive expanders. And from my crawling through legends mode, I think the Koas are doing well enough population wise, but just aren't expanding for some reason. Which does make me think the problem exists within their biome tags.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lets compare and contrast the biome tags each entity has. The dwarves, humans, and elves all work as intended. So they are our controls for this. First off multiple start biomes, both humans and Koas have this, so that likely isn't the problem. Is it the biome types that are just poor for expansion... the koas have nothing that at least 1 of the other 3 have as well. Ok, maybe it is very few biome support tags... again the Elves also have very few of them, but they will expand mercilessly given the right circumstances as well. And now we get to the solution I came up with as I typed this post. All 3 of the vanilla races in addition to their starting biome tags, have a biome support tag of the same type. Something which the Koas lack in their tags.

That is where I'd start with possibly fixing them by adding [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SHRUBLAND:3] any_grassland and any_savannah to them. It could solve the problem, or it could be completely wrong, but I'll leave it to you to test out for now.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2012, 12:45:44 pm »

In other words the Koas will start migrating at worldgen and then get killed off before thy have a chance to settle?

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2012, 12:49:20 pm »

Nah, I think they just never start expanding in the first place. They stay in a single city mode, cause nothing close enough around them fits their criteria for a new site.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2012, 12:50:42 pm »

I know the skewed gender ratio isn't to blame. I've modded Kohaku's Naga race to be even more skewed female to male than what you have for the Koas. And they are still very aggresive expanders. And from my crawling through legends mode, I think the Koas are doing well enough population wise, but just aren't expanding for some reason. Which does make me think the problem exists within their biome tags.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lets compare and contrast the biome tags each entity has. The dwarves, humans, and elves all work as intended. So they are our controls for this. First off multiple start biomes, both humans and Koas have this, so that likely isn't the problem. Is it the biome types that are just poor for expansion... the koas have nothing that at least 1 of the other 3 have as well. Ok, maybe it is very few biome support tags... again the Elves also have very few of them, but they will expand mercilessly given the right circumstances as well. And now we get to the solution I came up with as I typed this post. All 3 of the vanilla races in addition to their starting biome tags, have a biome support tag of the same type. Something which the Koas lack in their tags.

That is where I'd start with possibly fixing them by adding [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SHRUBLAND:3] any_grassland and any_savannah to them. It could solve the problem, or it could be completely wrong, but I'll leave it to you to test out for now.

I'm at work for a few more hours, so I can't test for a bit, but if you wanted you could plug that in, gen a few worlds and see. I did forget I DID tweak the Koakuma biome supports just a bit... it might be too restricting and its really making them get subjected by their neighbors - usually goblins and elves. I haven't seen humans or dwarves war them, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7