Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cave Moss  (Read 8819 times)

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave Moss
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:11:13 pm »

How do I get cave moss to grow? I breached the first cavern a year ago (in game) and still no cave moss or anything on my muddy soil. I want to move my animals indoors so they can stop dying outside but no moss...

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Moss
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:15:28 pm »

Does the cavern you breached have cave moss in it?
If not, that's your issue.
If so, I don't know.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:18:10 pm »

Yes it does. The cavemoss doesn't seem to be spreading in that cavern either. Some mud floors in the cavern right next to cave moss and it doesn't seem to be spreading in it at all

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:21:45 pm »

Perhaps it needs to border another moss tile?

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:38:06 pm »

Nope, in my fort (That just died in an unrelated incident) when I decided I need subterranean 'plants' I simply used dwarven radar, dug down to caverns, breached one tile, sealed it off, and BAM cave moss and fungi trees growing in my farm area.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:39:17 am »

Did you use 'k' to view the muddy tiles? The plants' image don't seem to show up, even if they're there.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:47:45 am »

Did you use 'k' to view the muddy tiles? The plants' image don't seem to show up, even if they're there.
Yup nothing. In the cavern there is a line of muddy soil next to moss and yet no moss grows there. Is this a bug with the new version?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 01:30:52 am »

If it is a bug, it's a new one; I've never heard of this (although I know of issues where cave moss grows before you breach the cavern). Try to breach one of the other two cavern layers, perhaps breaching this one didn't register whatever it needed to start growing the moss?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 03:23:44 am »

You could also try DFhack's 'feature' command to trigger it.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 10:23:02 am »

Ok so I used dwarf fortress hacks to revel the second cavern and now it is working. Seems there is a bug with the first cavern now.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 01:07:34 pm »

If it is a bug, it's a new one; I've never heard of this (although I know of issues where cave moss grows before you breach the cavern).

Not a bug, if the caves have already been breached in a previous fort in the same biome, moss/plants/trees will grow in any new forts in that same biome.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 01:11:40 pm »

If it is a bug, it's a new one; I've never heard of this (although I know of issues where cave moss grows before you breach the cavern).

Not a bug, if the caves have already been breached in a previous fort in the same biome, moss/plants/trees will grow in any new forts in that same biome.

I don't think you mean "biome" here (maybe you mean "region"), but how exactly is this not a bug? What happens in one fort a few regional/world map tiles away shouldn't really have that sort of impact on another fort.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 02:58:52 pm »

When you breached the first cavern, did you actually discover it at the time or had you used "reveal" beforehand?

If you don't get the popup announcement about discovering a map feature, then you haven't actually discovered it.
You could also try DFhack's 'feature' command to trigger it.
...and that's how you can fix it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 06:12:56 pm »

Nope, in my fort (That just died in an unrelated incident) when I decided I need subterranean 'plants' I simply used dwarven radar, dug down to caverns, breached one tile, sealed it off, and BAM cave moss and fungi trees growing in my farm area.

God don't remind me. ;D
My very first well cistern had underground trees growing in it, and bloody trees in the mushroom farm too.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 12:23:11 pm »

New world new fort never built on it before
Pages: [1] 2