Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Submarines: possible with magma?  (Read 1435 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Submarines: possible with magma?
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:14:45 pm »

If you're trying to send a bunch of brave dwarves to the bottom of the ocean or into a volcano, everyone knows that 4 walls, a floor, and ceiling won't work as a submarine. The Ceiling will connect with the floor, crushing the dwarves and flooding the capsule with water. I had an idea: if instead of just having the ceiling just be a bunch of stone tiles, what if it were a hollow vessel full of magma? If the magma was configured in the prefect way would it be possible to cool the magma with the ocean water just at the right time to seal the roof? Now I am disregarding the survival of the dwarf divers for now, this is just way to try and get a submarine into a body of water without it completely flooding. Please tell me if this could work and requires further science or if you know it isn't possible. Also are floodgates automatically dismantled if they are involved in a cave-in?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Submarines: possible with magma?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:18:25 pm »

I'm assuming the magma will just cool at the surface of the ocean.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:36:03 pm »

Ive tried this already with my lava submarine experiment.

The entire capsule will just fall into a pile of rubble.

On the bright side someone made the attempt into a great song.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »

I had a map with tons of gold and I started construction of "Operation Yellow Submarine" to turn my nobles into brave magma submarine sailors while paying homage to the Beatles. Things didn't turn out though... (Tantrum spiral).

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 10:02:02 pm »

Were you trying to literally build a submarine that could propel itself, or some sort of station?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:04:30 pm »

Were you trying to literally build a submarine that could propel itself, or some sort of station?

The goal is to get a dwarf from the surface to the bottom of a body of water without flooding the vehicle with water or crushing the dwarf. No propulsion is necessary (although that would be extremely impressive/impossible).

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 11:19:43 pm »

This has come up many times before. I believe it was ruled impossible to build a submarine because floors/walls with no wall under them will always fall down as far as they can. However, if you can find a spot without SMR, you could be able to build a solid pillar all the way to the surface via obsidian casting and then dropping massive slabs, and then channel out your submarine from that.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 11:23:26 pm »

However, if you can find a spot without SMR, you could be able to build a solid pillar all the way to the surface via obsidian casting and then dropping massive slabs, and then channel out your submarine from that.

It's not the same  :'(

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 11:56:04 pm »

This has come up many times before. I believe it was ruled impossible to build a submarine because floors/walls with no wall under them will always fall down as far as they can. However, if you can find a spot without SMR, you could be able to build a solid pillar all the way to the surface via obsidian casting and then dropping massive slabs, and then channel out your submarine from that.

Didn't someone manage to pull it off with a submarine shaped like a T?
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 12:08:07 am »

Didn't someone manage to pull it off with a submarine shaped like a T?
I don't so how that would work any better than a box, but if you can find a link that would be awesome.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 01:14:21 am »

As I recall, the T shape failed and the central column disconnected from the sides.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 01:20:34 am »

Hmm... now I really want to read that thread.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:00:56 am »

If I recall correctly any constructed wall will deconstruct immediately upon being dropped which is why trying to just build a capsule wont work. However natural stone does not do this (cave in traps work because of this), so you have to carve / cast a submarine, and then comes the hard part about keeping the ceiling of the capsule from caving in, and flooding the chamber with magma. I wonder if mine carts occupying a block will keep a ceiling from collapsing.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:49:13 am »

even a ceiling made of one layer thick natural wall will collapse.
natural walls disconnect from one another and fall as far as they can so it is impossible to preserve open space in a falling piece of anything.

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 12:27:04 pm »

Maybe someone should head to the suggestions thread, and propose introducing bouyancy to building materials.
Pages: [1] 2