Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wikia page  (Read 2061 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Wikia page
« on: August 14, 2006, 06:51:00 pm »

I'm starting to get lost in the posts now, but in case nobody posted, it seems a wikia page popped up (was that Aquillion?  maybe not, from sp in guide):

Page

Guide

Main page

I probably shouldn't touch the thing myself, or something, if there are various VANITY type policies, but anyway, it looks like a fair enough outlet, and I'll link to it, unless somebody's knows various dubious issues with this.

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wikia page
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 07:09:00 pm »

There's a problem with the wikia page; it's been created as part of the gameinfo wiki, which means that anyone who goes to gameinfo and types in "Workshops" will go to the part of the DF guide related to workshops. Dwarf Fortress might be able to get it's own wiki, which would prevent this.

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Cosmonot ]

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »

Yeah, I noticed that all the sublinks were incorrect.  The main pages seem more proper.  I don't know the format, and probably shouldn't mess with it.  Wiki vets can patch it up in no time if they like, I think.  I don't know if it is standard practice for guides to have sub pages, but if so, they should probably be more like Dwarf_Fortress_Workshops or Dwarf_Fortress:Workshops, rather than just Workshops.  But if people want to play with it, they can do whatever they like.  It's a wiki-thing after all.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:27:00 pm »

Maybe getting our own wiki would be best, actually...  how do we go about doing that?

EDIT:  Ok, I don't think we can, at least not on Wikia.  Their Wikia creation policy states:

quote:
Wikis must have a large potential audience, and be likely to attract enough editors to maintain the wiki over a long period of time. Personal wikis, wikis for small groups, or individual schools are not generally permitted. See the university and schools policy. If your proposal is too narrow in scope, you will be advised to broaden it and add your idea as a sub-section of a larger Wikia.

I doubt Dwarf Fortress meets that (yet, anyway.)

Maybe we should look into starting our own wiki elsewhere, though...  now that I think about it, we'd probably want to create lots of subpages and other things that could get hairy on another Wiki.

Oh, and for the record, whoever started the things above wasn't me.

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 08:39:00 pm »

I'd look, but I assume there are people reading experienced with this sort of thing, in the wiki crowd, that can answer these questions.  I'm not sure I can host it here...  the DLs aren't breaking my bandwidth yet, but it's borderline to keep adding more content here.  I'm already at twice my previous limit, but thankfully my web host upped me quite a bit at random a few months ago.

edit:  and yeah, on the most developed gameinfo guide, for Creature 3, it seems all the sub-pages go over to a proper creatures wikia wiki, with about 200 registered users on the people page.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 08:45:00 pm »

Well, for now I at least moved all the Dwarf Fortress-related pages on that wiki to subpages of Guide:Dwarf Fortress, so they won't get in anyone else's way.

What we can do is work on a guide there, then copy it over to another wiki if we ever get one...  assuming our other wiki uses the same license, anyway.

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 08:54:00 pm »

Well, since the site policy for narrow scope is to add it to a subsection of another wiki, it seems like if the gameinfo wiki complains about it being too large, then it could get its own wiki.  That said, maybe there's a gray area for those wikis that are made large by a small number of dedicated people...  maybe those aren't allowed anywhere.  The DF audience seems to be growing anyway, so something should work out.  At some point.  I don't know much about licensing with these kinds of projects.  I'd only advise against working on it there if it's going to be wasted/unusable because of some restrictive clause.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:04:00 pm »

All Wikia wikis are required to use the same license, so we could definately, at the very least, move it around there.  And that license is the GNU FDL, which isn't particularly restrictive and is quite commonly accepted among wikis.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 09:15:00 pm »

Wouldn't it be better to have DF in a rogue-like wiki like RogueBasin? Best place to get attention, I think.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 09:21:00 pm »

In the end, everything regarding wikis is a community decision -- I'll link to what you guys decide on.

Do roguelike people play this game?  Is it roguelike?  Is it covered under Rogue Basin's mission statement if it has one?  I get the feeling that some people probably want to make the guide large.  Do they allow that?

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 01:26:00 am »

I found rather good starting guide here :
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=7cdfe57b06f 3d577c585c6f6db3d697a&threadid=2011668#post313506393

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 01:36:00 am »

I've been reading that thread, and they were talking about a wiki as well.  Perhaps people need to come together or something and have a wiki community.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 01:53:00 am »

I had created my own wiki. It is not that difficult (unfortunately the one I used was in french)

The best solution would probably one of us to run a dedicated site. Ok, If in 2 weeks nothing is done, I'll take time to create one. (though I am not very technical about that, and I won't spend too much time working on it)

[ August 15, 2006: Message edited by: flap ]

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 07:08:00 am »

If you're able to set up a forum, there's really no reason that you'd be unable to setup a wiki. If you're thinking of setting up your own, you can get an overview of the different wiki packages here.

In there you'll even see overviews of what features they offer, what platforms they install on and the difficulty of installing, etc. You should check that out. I'm sure one will meet your needs and wouldn't be much more difficult to set up than a blog or a forum, and possibly even easier.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 10:55:00 am »

When I suggested a wiki page(I did that on chat...twice, probably), I meant on the BIG wikipedia, en.wikipedia.org :-) Probably in the 'roguelike'category.
Pages: [1] 2