Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artificial River.  (Read 4195 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Artificial River.
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:22:03 pm »

So gents, I want to create an artificial river from which our fisherdwarves can process the deliscious underwater denizens without exposing them to gobbo's, since the Tame ticks seem to have a pathological hatred for our Goblin Overlord. So, how would I go about creating such a thing without killing my precious miners, as well as protecting my fort from invasion?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: Artificial River.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:45:16 pm »

As far as I know, a 2 tile wide channel should not cave in no matter how it's dug. If you want is wider it should work layer by layer (As in, X and Y axis.) from that point forward one as you don't designate a 2 or more tile wide attachment to said system.

'Course now you can just build you moat out of walls, but that's no fun...or maybe it is.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:46:52 pm »

there is the thing called dam , you can build it several squares wide for your fishers to fish .

bonus if you periodically drop a dwarf in the water , as a sacrifice to water gods . (you can drop elves and goblins too !)

I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:27:36 pm »

there is the thing called dam , you can build it several squares wide for your fishers to fish .

bonus if you periodically drop a dwarf in the water , as a sacrifice to water gods . (you can drop elves and goblins too !)

that's not what he was asking...   ::)

read up on water pressure on the wiki to be safe. You could easily flood your fort if you mess up. It should have all the info you need.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 05:14:07 am »

1. Find river source
2. Dig one channel wide canal for the river to pass through
3. Connect the river outlet to fortifications attached to the end of the map.
4. Make the channel deeper by 1zlvl and construct a pier for your fisherdwarves to stand on.
5. Open the river source to the canal.
6. Free underground fish.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:28:10 am »

An artificial river is not hard to do with proper understanding of hydraulics. What i don't think will be possible is fishing. Fishing AFAIK is restricted to biomes (lakes, brooks and rivers are their own biome), and an artificial canal will count not as a brook/river, but as the biome it passes through. Which means you can only catch fish in the artificial canal if the biome it passes through also have fish.

In my vast embarking experience from restartitis, about 90% of the brooks/lakes/ocean have fish, compared to about 3% of surface biomes (where you catch pond turtle). Not sure bout underground biomes, but i've never been able to catch ANY fish underground.

Also remember fish can be depleted, which means a good fisherdwarf may be a BAD thing. What i usually do it put useless haulers with 0 experience on fishing, and have them go at it until they report there is no more fish to catch. Then you disable all fishing and wait for about a year. Sometimes the fishery will replenish itself, sometimes it doesn't. Regardless, it is a good source of shells.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 09:52:08 am »

that's not what he was asking...   ::)

read up on water pressure on the wiki to be safe. You could easily flood your fort if you mess up. It should have all the info you need.
i know , i just like dam designs and how you can control the flow of water with it .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?