Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thief is spotted but isn't being attacked  (Read 819 times)

madattak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Thief is spotted but isn't being attacked
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:08:40 am »

A thief has been spotted in my fort, but nobody is attempting to kill it. I've set up a squad, do i have to issue a command of some sort?

dimescion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thief is spotted but isn't being attacked
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:11:01 am »

yes, look up military on the wiki.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 05:22:42 pm »

Military dwarves won't attack unless (a) they are on duty, and (b) they can actually see the intruder.  Each dwarf functions as an individual with respect to both parts.

If you want the military to pursue the intruder even though they can't see it, you'll need to issue a kill order or a station order.  The kill order will send the dwarves to approximately the point where the intruder is at the time of the order, even though the intruder won't be there by the time the dwarves get there.  When they get there, they'll get a new position for the intruder, and move to that point, by which time the intruder will have moved farther still... you get the idea.  If you use a station order, you can try to anticipate where the intruder will be by the time the dwarves get there.  In either case, the dwarves will directly chase the intruder (or fire at it, if they have ranged capability) once they are in line of sight.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 06:24:52 pm »

The above answer is pretty insightful (I didn't know that much about the kill order).

But for a beginner, here are the keypresses:

Press s, then press the squad's letter (probably a), then press k, then either: move your curser on the enemy, press enter twice, Or: press l, press the enemy's letter, press enter.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:01:14 pm »

fortress military and civilians are a lot more different than adventure mode humans , when humans ard being attacked in adventure mode , they fight back with their knives , wich is OP , because the villagers will swarm on you and slice you into bits , in fortress mode dwarves run instead of attacking , if they are not given a order to attack .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 11:30:51 pm »

Consider also putting all of your dwarves (other then hunters / miners / woodcutters / nobles) into crossbow squads.  Fear the wrath of dozens of armed civilian dwarves who will shoot at the thieves / snatchers.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113308.0