Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs keep asking for refined coal for magma smelters  (Read 2558 times)

pabrams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dorfs keep asking for refined coal for magma smelters
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:33:23 am »

I thought when I had magma smelters I didn't need coal to make pig iron and steel.  So how come my dorfs keep cancelling those jobs citing a lack of refined coal?  I keep burning wood to shut them up.  It used to be I just needed one charcoal to 'start the reaction' or something, and the dorfs would happily make steel all day as long as they had iron and flux.   The magma under my smelters is 7 deep.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs keep asking for refined coal for magma smelters
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:35:46 am »

Coke is an essential part of making steel. Get your woodburners going. 1 coke + 1 iron +1 pig iron +1 flux = 2 steel bars.

This is a blank sig.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:49:51 am »

pig iron is iron with added carbon and some of it taken away, steel is pig iron with added carbon and agian carbon taken away. Look up a scientist, chemist or engineer for the exact process, or wikipedia :D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:49:35 pm »

Still got to have coke or charcoal as a carbon source to turn iron into steel.  If you really want to use magma smelters to eliminate coal from steel production completely, and you're not looking to mod in a custom reaction, what you'll need to do is exploit that screwy situation where some items become more metal than was used in their creation.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.