Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs won't weave  (Read 4341 times)

pabrams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dorfs won't weave
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:03:19 am »

My dorfs keep cancelling weave yarn to cloth because they need 1 unused collected yarn thread.  I have that.  Why don't they weave? 

I think I read somewhere some kind of stockpile bug, like they won't find stuff if it's in a stockpile, so I destroyed the stockpile (the two bins of thread remained). 

I also read dorfs will take the bins away to fill them up, and then you get cancellation messages while the bin is being carried around.  Both my thread bins are sitting in the hospital; I'm watching them and they don't move between the time I order the weaving job and it gets cancelled.  I just thought of checking if the hospital has the thread reserved or something, but it says 120000/75000 so I guess that means I have a surplus of thread in the hospital right?  Anyway I lowered it to 120000/15000 and they still won't weave.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs won't weave
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:13:41 am »

Supplies reserved for hospital will not be used for anything except hospital needs. You could try removing the hospital zone and after they take what they need put a new one.

pabrams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:21:13 am »

Supplies reserved for hospital will not be used for anything except hospital needs. You could try removing the hospital zone and after they take what they need put a new one.

Okay I removed the hospital zone and added a weave yarn into cloth job again.  They cancelled again for the same reason as before.  I double-checked the bins; I have two horse hair thread, a yak hair thread, and a sheep wool yarn.

Edit:  Also tried playing with stockpile configuration; tried adding a cloth stockpile near the loom.  First stockpile gathered 4 bins, but they wouldn't use the thread inside.  So I destroyed that stockpile and added one with no bins allowed.  After they filled that, I tried again but still same old story.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:29:11 am by pabrams »

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:32:02 am »

I would remove the coffer from your hospital then try again.  Have you tried giving to your workshop from the stock pile? If you have any pile linked to a workshop then you must have all materials linked to it. As soon as you link one stockpile then everything else is invisible and it only looks at links.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 10:45:10 am »

I'm finding that sometimes they won't use stuff in bins. I'm not sure why.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:46:33 am »

how many times do people need to hear and read, (it's even in the wiki) that storage in hospitals is extremely buggy before they get the hint

alternatively there could be a problem with dwarves taking a whole bin to collect some new threads, canceling the weaver tasks that wanted to take treads out of the bin
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 10:48:38 am »

I would remove the coffer from your hospital then try again.  Have you tried giving to your workshop from the stock pile? If you have any pile linked to a workshop then you must have all materials linked to it. As soon as you link one stockpile then everything else is invisible and it only looks at links.

This. Get rid of all coffers out of your hospital zone completely.  The doctors will not hesitate to go outside the hospital zone for supplies.

To make sure that you always have some thread for surgery, I suggest setting a very small (1x2 up to 1x4) stockpile that uses containers in the hospital area that takes plant thread from your farmer's workshops (or anywhere). 

I usually also create small stockpiles for plant cloth, splints, crutches, soap, buckets near the hospital/well area.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »

You might end up with some unweavable thread anyway. The weaver needs 15000 units of thread, and using thread on a patient uses up some of those 15000 units.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 09:48:16 pm »

Also, hair thread (horse hair and yak hair in your example) cannot be woven into cloth.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 11:25:31 pm »

Also, hair thread (horse hair and yak hair in your example) cannot be woven into cloth.

It has to be "spun" at a farmer's workshop first.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 12:01:03 am »

It has to be "spun" at a farmer's workshop first.
Nope, after spinning at a farmer's workshop all you get is what OP has (horse hair thread and yak hair thread), which cannot be used for making cloth, but can be used for suturing wounds (as mentioned in the wiki article for hair)
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."