Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to start trading  (Read 882 times)

madattak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to start trading
« on: August 05, 2012, 06:37:00 am »

My first trading caravan arrived, but I have no idea how to work the trading system. The wiki wasn't any help. I got a screen up by accident, but there weren't any buttons for buying, or for selling. Then I closed it and couldn't get it back up. Can someone explain to me how the whole system works?

P.S. I have a Broker.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
Re: How to start trading
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 06:38:57 am »

you must make the broker to in to the trading depot.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

madattak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 06:43:12 am »

How do I make him go there?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 06:48:10 am »

"q" over the depot.
You have the option to get the broker there and only him.
Of course you need a broker first, enable him on the (n)obles screen. He should have the appraiser skill or else you can't see the prices of goods.

Also there are options to have goods taken to the depot (g). You can then choose your crafts or prepared meals or mechanisms or whatever for trading.

For actual trading you must wait unitl all the goods are at the depot and the broker is there also (they tend to drink, eat, sleep or attend party very often ;)).
Once he is there q over the depot and start trading with t.

This wiki article explains it in more detail:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Depot#Move_Goods_to.2Ffrom_Depot

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:53:07 am by Laurin »

madattak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:26:16 am »

"q" over the depot.
You have the option to get the broker there and only him.
Of course you need a broker first, enable him on the (n)obles screen. He should have the appraiser skill or else you can't see the prices of goods.

Also there are options to have goods taken to the depot (g). You can then choose your crafts or prepared meals or mechanisms or whatever for trading.

For actual trading you must wait unitl all the goods are at the depot and the broker is there also (they tend to drink, eat, sleep or attend party very often ;)).
Once he is there q over the depot and start trading with t.

This wiki article explains it in more detail:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Depot#Move_Goods_to.2Ffrom_Depot

Thanks! Unfortunately they left before that reply, but I used the wikis trick to get them to hand over all the goods without stealing. So now I have a giant warehouse of junk =D

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:19:40 am »

Could mean war if you "steal" too much stuff. You also may have just radically increased your fort's wealth which is going to attract invaders.

madattak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 09:28:34 am »

Could mean war if you "steal" too much stuff. You also may have just radically increased your fort's wealth which is going to attract invaders.

I sold of most of it to the next caravan. Talking of invaders, over a years gone by and the only hostile Ive met was an enraged badger.

madattak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 09:51:10 am »

When I buy something it counts as a loss for the  trader?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:05:33 am »

Trading is done once you have selected everything you want to buy and everything you want to sell and then you press t.  It's just telling you the status of the trade if you were to finalize it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:42:01 am »

I sold of most of it to the next caravan. Talking of invaders, over a years gone by and the only hostile Ive met was an enraged badger.
now the fun will start
yor first year is usually trouble free, to give you a bit of time to at least get to safety before they start harrasing you

Selling goods taken from a previous caravan enhances the wealth and reputation of your fort even more. Now your exported wealth rose too.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.