Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game -- Loot and RP thread  (Read 12907 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game -- Loot and RP thread
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 11:11:29 am »

Also! Suddenly RP!

Tuggery sits by the fireplace, spreading a bitter smell from her pipe throughout the campsite as she holds the green gems towards the light, attempting to appreciate how much they could be sold for. After a while, she exhales a large puff of smoke, puts them down and moves on to the locked bag she found earlier. It would definitely be a waste to just cut it open, and it would definitely. Lock could be useful too.

"Say, didn't I hear unn o'ya longshanks say sumthin' 'bout findin' a key on those drunks back when? 'Cause I'se got a lock 'ere, and she's missin' 'er partner."
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 11:12:24 am »

I've got the key! *gives it*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:13 am »

Tuggery greedily grabs the key and puts it in the lock. Her eyes grow visibly more eager as she opens up the bag and looks within...

edit:

((Also, here is my inventory - some items appear twice because there's different stacks in the backpack and on the cart.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Plus, of course, the "Locked Bag from Dwarf", "A gem = 100 gold!", and "A map = It has a large red X next to a road. Handwritten notes say "Treasure here, goblins protecting, should be easy."" that I got during the last session.))
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:56:39 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 11:53:14 am »

Kathryn sits outside on the porch, taking in the cold night air and drinking a mug of warm cider and pecking at a plate of beans and pork. She doesn't seem to have much of an appetite tonight, and is quiet and thoughtful instead, wondering about the events of the day.

She reflected on the Dwarf who had died in the fight-courtesy of a deadly sword blow from a Ranger sort. The man seemed to have regretted it. But, dead is dead...the Queen embraces another soul. She did not feel regret-death was merely a passage, not a book end. He went on to a better place, surely. But Kathryn was still unnerved by the severed head, eyes opened, staring into eternity.

Which was odd, right? She was the 'Prophet of the Raven Queen'-chosen by the Cult of the Raven because of the scythe-shaped birthmark on her lower left hip. She had no choice in it, and had always more or less accepted it as fate. The bones had been cast many times-and every time, they said she was important to one thing, or another-that she would do something amazing, wonderful. She should not fear Death, they said. For she was the Queens Chosen, her Vessel, her Avatar.

The prophecy stated, her life would follow the Raven Queens example-rising to great power from humble beginnings, challenging Death himself on his throne...and becoming it's Master-ruling alone, in the cold and darkness. No one was supposed to follow her...

But Kathryn never felt like any of that-she bled like any other person. She was not fearless. Her blade skills failed her, and her defenses faltered, just like anyone else.

Despite her airs, she sometimes had serious doubts about herself, and the strength of  her Faith. A good example-the Dwarves had badly injured Lon, after all, while she watched helplessly-without the Clerics help, he would almost have certainly died in her arms.

Though she would never admit it to anyone, the thought of Lon dying had scared her badly. She had realized, somewhat coldly, how alone she would be if he was gone. She stilled the shaking in her hands, not entirely caused by the chill in the air.

They had been friends for many years, she and him. Lon was...quite literally, the only person in this world she truly called friend. She had sometimes wished for it to go further than mere friendship, but such things are never easy to begin.

Yes, she was quite alone. Her family was gone-they had given her up as a child, and wanted no contact now. She had met few others over the years who got over her fell reputation-for, to walk with the Raven Queen was to court death and bad luck, the Legends said. The Clergy distanced themselves from her, for they wished the Prophecy to come true-and that meant she walked apart from them. Men and Women on the streets all but ran from her visage, her dreaded Crow Cloak, as if she were harbringer of bad times to come. And, who can say she was not?

Still, for all that, Lon had greeted her warmly as he ever had, that morning. With a smile, and a merry song on the tip of his fingers. No fear.

Was Lon not afraid of death? Or did he just consider her company worth that risk? Did he know she felt about him? Kathryn had never thought to ask Lon, perhaps unconsciously fearing it would invoke that which she dreaded.

She began to eat, to take her mind off these heavy thoughts. She could not control fate-not even the Queen could, in truth-but, Kathryn could enjoy what time they were given.

That was the greatest truth of the Clergy-Live every day like it was your last. For in time, you and all the love and care for will be swept away.

Kathryn did not sleep well that night, her dreams (which were always odd) darker than usual-filled with cries of Ravens and the clash of metal-the crunch of bone, the parting of flesh.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 11:55:25 am »

((Psst! You're making us look bad, Dwarmin! :P ))
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 12:07:41 pm »

((No kidding. I doubt I could match something like that! :P ))
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 12:13:31 pm »

((Psst! You're making us look bad, Dwarmin! :P ))
((Wait.... walls of RP-text are a good thing? Darn shame I can't really write much about Kevin then, since he's got pretty much the most boring history ever.

Also, inventory. I'm presuming that Kevin gave away the rest of his starter gold to beggars, poor farmers, and the like; mostly because I really, really don't want to do inventory wealth calculations over again.
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Also, I'm willing to give up my share of the loot for one thing - dibs on the first Bag of Holding we run across.))
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:25 pm »

((If you guys try, it's not too hard to get into your characters head.

Just imagine this 'person' as an extension of your self, a part of you. Half the stuff I write on these forums echoes the truth of my own feelings, personified into my characters. ;) ))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 12:49:37 pm »

William returns to the light of the campfire carrying a single rabbit, which he immediately begins skin. After cooking the rabbit, he offers a what meager amount of meat it holds for the group and sits down to eat himself, a little bit further from the fire than the rest.

"I can take the first watch shift, for the few last rays of sun have already died and it is time for rest", William states after the light meal. That being said, he prepares his bow, stands up and leaves the light of the fire and begins circling around the camp in the shadows, looking for any sudden movement or noises.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 01:13:18 pm »

((I assume this takes place during our 3-day travel))

Kathryn does not sleep well that night, either-she volunteers for second watch. Her senses are not nearly as sharp as a Ranger, but the time of greatest danger is past-a Dark-stalking foe will often strike quickly, while the night is young.

She finds William, a few hours later, stalking around for enemies.

"No trouble, then? I'm here to relieve you of duty, Saer." she says, lifting her lantern so they can see each others faces. Her Bastard-Sword, embellished with the Ravenhead symbol of her faith, is in her left hand-and her heavy sling-the sort that needs two hands and some strong momentum to use properly-hangs from her belt, a fist sized bullet loaded and ready.

She seems to decide something, then, kneeling down beside him. William recalls her as the Woman who said the prayers over the Dwarfs body.

"...and I was thinking we could talk before you sleep, for a short time. About what happened at the bar, if you are ready. I knew you did not intend for that to happen to him..."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 01:17:53 pm »

Jax laid back against a rock. The day had been hard. He didn't like the enjoyment he felt from killing, and never had. But here he was, throwing himself into a fight once more. "Why do I do this to myself?" he wondered, as he thought back through the many burglaries, thefts, and getaways that had made up his life to date. He had already picked up his share of the reward- a beautiful blue gem, but he wondered about one thing still- why did he want to join them?

They were adventurers- the most risk-taking of them all, and they were all warriors of some sort, though there seemed to be one or two more like him. However, they were friendly to him- not something out of the ordinary, until people knew who he really was. He hadn't told them yet, or to be more exact they hadn't found out yet, but there was hope that they would accept him yet. And he hadn't worked with others in a while...
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 01:47:03 pm »

When Kathryn mentions the bar a curious expression flashes on William's face, almost instantly replaced by a calm one. He looks into Kathryn's green eyes as he opens his mouth to say something, but stops before the first word is finished and nods instead, indicating his readiness to talk about the barfight.

((At least on default forum theme, that color you used for the Kathryn's voice is pretty hard to read.))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 02:00:42 pm »

Kathryn nods as well.

"I believe I know what you feel. While death is not unknown to people like us-for we deal it often enough- you do not think you killed this time, in good conscience. Your instinct struck before your reason, as is often the case. He was drunk, an idiot, intent on harming you-and brandishing an axe.

You were defending yourself...but for a man of morals, of goodness-these all seem poor excuses to assuage a guilty soul. You wonder if your anger overrode who you are, or if you were selfish, and drank enough that day to cloud your reason-or maybe your work has blackened your soul more than you would have believed.

Do you think you were justified, William? Tell me what you felt when the deed was done. Is my reckoning off the mark?"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:03:01 pm by Dwarmin »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 02:04:01 pm »

Falor follows Kathryn out in the middle of the night. He's an eavesdropper out of habit; if there's one thing he likes, it's a good secret. He's squishy enough that people often don't feel threatened by him, though (due to having one or two issues with knowing when and where to use magic--he would often use prestidigitation to do chores only to find himself drained, so he didn't have spells ready often)

Like a moron, he jumps out of eavesdropping and jumps in the conversation.

Hey, I may have nearly vomited at the time, but that was cool! You sure showed that dwarf what-for!

Falor realizes he'd be dead if these people weren't just fighting along-side him and shrinks back.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:16:54 pm by Putnam »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 02:06:36 pm »

((@Putnam: Officially, this is taking the place away from the camp, where no one but William and Kathryn can hear each other speak :P ))

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16