Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Expeditions: Conquistador - 16th Century Turn Based Tactical RPG FUNDED!  (Read 5304 times)

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Saw this on another forum. They are asking for $70k by September 12th.

Check it out!
KS Page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2128128298/expeditions-conquistador
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E8CwIdCkcs
Expeditions: Conquistador is a tactical roleplaying game with a touch of strategic resource management and a pinch of choose-your-own-adventure. Conquistador is set in a rarely visited part of history which is rife with mystery, political intrigue, and good old-fashioned violence.

You will take on the role of a Spanish Conquistador in South America in 1518-1520. Select the members of your expedition and explore campaign maps based on the actual topological maps of Hispaniola and Mexico. Through intricately branching dialogue, you will engage with the characters and situations that you encounter across these uncharted areas, and when it’s time to spill blood, a tactical combat system of great depth and brutality will let you control your individual troops in battle.

Combat is intimate and detailed, and failure has great consequences. Every expedition member has a face, a past, a set of personality traits, and of course a combat role - their morale will change depending on your decisions, they will chime in when you're weighing your options, and if they fall in battle, their injuries will carry over to the world map, where they must be treated by your doctors until they're back on their feet. Should you fail to treat your expedition members, they will die and be gone for good. 

Choice and consequence is central to the play experience of Conquistador. As the leader of the expedition, you will face difficult decisions about the use of your troops and your resources, as well as how to engage with the factions of the savage New World. Will you defy history and be a diplomatic envoy of peace? Or will you be a ruthless conqueror determined to lay all of the Aztec Empire at your feet?
Sounds amazing to me. If you like old school (good) cRPGs, it should sound amazing to you too. This will probably be the first project I've backed since Wasteland, I'm just not sure how much yet. If these guys can deliver I will be a very happy camper.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:55:16 pm by TripJack »

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile

Three months ago I tested it for the dev! Back then it was not very good, but with each update he gave the game got a lot better! This game was actually very fun once he got deeper into the test builds. I would honestly say this has a lot of potential.
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile

This looks interesting, posting to follow.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting to watch....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Three months ago I tested it for the dev! Back then it was not very good, but with each update he gave the game got a lot better! This game was actually very fun once he got deeper into the test builds. I would honestly say this has a lot of potential.
I know you probably can't elaborate, but gosh, if only you could.

I might stop salivating long enough to read it.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Devs have posted a gameplay video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SrxYzbuNAM . They should be putting up another one tomorrow.  Hopefully some news sites will help get the word out there, this project really needs some more exposure to get off the ground.

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile

I know you probably can't elaborate, but gosh, if only you could.

I might stop salivating long enough to read it.

Haha sorry, I was kinda out of it.
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

I hope they get to the 160k stretch goal. Meso and South American civilisation is an interest of mine (I do a bit of aerial archaeology from time to time) and would love a game created around this period. Plus it would be fun to play a game where you're meant to be a bit of a bastard to your enemies. It's not really racist if it's historical (all sides did some pretty horrendous things from our current perspective and world view of their actions).

I hope there's at least some modding support. Playing something like this as the Aztecs, other European powers, North American Indians  or even pre-Incan Quecha speaking groups would be great. Or even just to expand the range of conquest options available would be good for greater replayability. Eventually get all of Central and South America modded in and put it to the sword (or convert the lot of them to hell). It's a very interesting time period for a game. Plus conquering empires with a couple of hundred men (and countless thousand native allies) is always a good thing to do. From your perspective at least
It's a game. Have fun.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile

Plus conquering empires with a couple of hundred men (and countless thousand native allies) is always a good thing to do.

And countless millions of exotic bacteria.

Hopefully we can skip the Bioware-flavored bastardy of "1. Plant a flower garden" and "2. Club baby seals" and get real moral dilemmas, though. When you've got a crazy theology demanding the still-beating hearts of sacrificial victims from tributary tribes, Christianity seems in comparison a rather greyer historical force than most people now seem to give it credit for being.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does this have any relation to the expedition RL, which covered more or less the same ground?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Note that the Incas never practiced that evil stuff of the Aztecs.  They just had temples filled with gold idols, statues, and other finery.  No way that Christianity can tolerate that, so most of it got melted down, with only a couple of pieces making it into museums and private collections.  And their books (yes, they had books) of Inca history were burned to a cinder.  The Incas were basically erased from history by the Conquistidors that invaded them.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hope they get to the 160k stretch goal.
unfortunately at the rate that the pledges are coming in, this project might not get funded at all :(

here are the other gameplay vids that they posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D1Rh0y1FEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N3AeV-Zxys

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Devs released another video, this time showcasing some gameplay outside of battle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJl_GRVVod0
Other than the impending changes and additions listed in the video (the removal of hexes, changing the way you interact with events and objects, adding terrain modifiers to movement, adding a camp management screen, adding roaming enemies, adding more points of interest and things to find and pick up), we're also going to make some substantial changes to the terrain to bring it more in line with how the battles look, and to make it easier to see where you can and can't move once the hexes are gone. We also want to introduce a bit more structure to the jungles so you can't move everywhere.

One thing we forgot to show was how treatment of injured followers works. Every time you're in a battle, there's a chance that those of your troops who became incapacitated in the fight will sustain an injury which persists into the world map. Every time you camp, if you have an injured follower, this screen will pop up:

Each doctor can only be assigned to treat one person, but you can treat the same person with multiple doctors each night (this is a relatively recent option we added, and whether we'll keep it is not yet set in stone). The medicine cost of treatment depends on the type and severity of the injury, and if you run out of doctors or medicine, you will be unable to treat a follower – any follower left untreated for one day has a chance of getting worse, once again depending on the type and severity of the injury. If a follower's condition is allowed to deteriorate enough, the follower will die. Permanently.

Pledges have picked up a bit too  :)

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

8 days and a little less than 10k to go!

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expeditions: Conquistador - 16th Century Turn Based Tactical RPG FUNDED!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 01:57:14 pm »

Pledges have surpassed $70,000 now :) . The stretch goals, which I don't think will be reached, are as follows:

Stretch goal 1 - $80,000
Choose passive abilities for your followers every time you level up!

Stretch goal 2 - $90,000
Greater visual variation in the character models

Stretch goal 3 - $100,000
Character ability trees (6-9 active combat abilities per character class)

And here's a hands-on preview over at the rpg codex http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8421
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:01:45 pm by TripJack »
Pages: [1] 2