Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lots of candy...  (Read 2413 times)

Bitharne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lots of candy...
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:52:04 pm »

So, I embarked on an area that looked nice, and wanted to see what I got after I arrived for fun...apparently I have access to nearly 17k candy. Sadly, only tetrahedrite and native gold otherwise...but I think I can forgo "good" metals and skill up off cheap copper and then make candy EVERYTHING haha, sounds fun.

Curious if this is quite a large pocket of the stuff (I recall 4k as the highest i've seen before) or if near 20k pockets of candy are findable if not frequently.

Urist McEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I like german.
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of candy...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 02:39:19 pm »

Make a skyscraper out of it, put your fort in the skyscraper, seal it off, and unleash the forces of !!FUN!! and !!CANDY!!.
Also, if you've got wooden furniture in the dining hall, you have some big issues anyways.
This is Dwarf Fortress, not the Fluffy Wambler Express.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 03:04:22 pm »

much depends on your embark size and some luck.  I think an embark even as small as 3x3 should almost always include at least 1 candy spire.  With larger embarks and a little placement luck you can straddle several.  Some candy spires extend high above the magma sea, occasionally even breaking into the lowest cavern levels, these can mean significant deposits.

Be interesting to see what you got.  Im guessing several of the really good long spires.  Lucky bugger :)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 03:57:14 pm »

could someone explain Candy to me?

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 04:15:07 pm »

It's called Adamantine, and occurs in spires at the third cavern level. It makes the best sharp weapons and the best armor (it makes crappy blunt weapons due to low density), and is also incredibly valuable. Once you find any, you should mine that sucker. All of it. Dig until the spire runs out and watch your fortress value and militia effectiveness go through the roof.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 04:54:09 pm »

There is some danger to it though (consider how cavern enemies get nastier as you go down, and while magma creatures don't normally bother you they're quite nasty when they do), but nothing you can't handle without preparation.

The current thinking is that steel breastplates are better than adamantine breastplates because their relative softness disperses some of the force. Steel plate over adamantine mail will probably work fine anyway -- breastplates are expensive to make and cover less than a mail shirt does, and if the breastplate and shield are the only non-adamantine portions of the armour then it won't slow down even a raw recruit.

There are 64 adamantine spires per regional tile (the one in the leftmost pane), placed in one tile per 2x2 section of the regional tile. If you choose a 2x2 site and embark in any one of the corners, you're sitting entirely on one of these sections and will get one spire of adamantine. If you move one tile horizontally and one tile vertically, you're straddling four of these sections and will get anywhere from zero to four spires.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 05:06:21 pm »

It's called Adamantine, and occurs in spires at the third cavern level. It makes the best sharp weapons and the best armor (it makes crappy blunt weapons due to low density), and is also incredibly valuable. Once you find any, you should mine that sucker. All of it. Dig until the spire runs out and watch your fortress value and militia effectiveness go through the roof.
Spoiler: Oh you (click to show/hide)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 07:57:03 pm »

You might find a fortress underground, with an adamantine blade in it. This blade is almost always artifact quality, so if your militia can kill the undead, go for it.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 09:41:29 pm »

However, removing the blade may trigger a goblin ambush or siege at the same time due to the sudden increase of wealth, so be sure to split up your troops to handle that as well. This is pretty important - the undead are fairly fragile and won't destroy buildings like trolls/other goblin mounts will, so don't lower your guard.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:44:08 pm by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 09:56:05 pm »

To deal with zombies, rembever the old maxim: Removing the head or destroying the brain. As such, send your sword or axe dwarves to deal with them.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 10:18:08 pm »

Okay, Candy is a science defying substance. It is supposedly either a incredibly heavy material with gravity-hindering capabilities, or a super  material without atoms.

What is known is its incredibly light, completely unbreakable, very hard to break, almost unspeakably sharp, and ridiculously valuable. Supposedly, it's edge is so fine, it is capable of slicing through atoms, and so when you swing its glows due to ionization. Because of its lightness its a terrible blunt weapon, hammers are wiffle bats, but swords are lightsabers.

The method of smelting is difficult, when you mine you have to extract metal strands at a craftshop, then you have to smelt it into wafers. But of course, while you're doing that, dig it out. It is so very valuable. There, as others have mentioned, deadly repercussions to doing so, mostly attracting greedy gobbos. Thats why we don't tell new players, cause they dig it out and get hurt. But, if your capable of handling a siege or two, you're probably going to wipe out the goblins with your awesome weapons. And even if you don't have a big military, just turtle till you have candy clad warriors ready to shred them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 10:32:39 pm »

Okay, Candy is a science defying substance. It is supposedly either a incredibly heavy material with gravity-hindering capabilities, or a super  material without atoms.

What is known is its incredibly light, completely unbreakable, very hard to break, almost unspeakably sharp, and ridiculously valuable. Supposedly, it's edge is so fine, it is capable of slicing through atoms, and so when you swing its glows due to ionization. Because of its lightness its a terrible blunt weapon, hammers are wiffle bats, but swords are lightsabers.

The method of smelting is difficult, when you mine you have to extract metal strands at a craftshop, then you have to smelt it into wafers. But of course, while you're doing that, dig it out. It is so very valuable. There, as others have mentioned, deadly repercussions to doing so, mostly attracting greedy gobbos. Thats why we don't tell new players, cause they dig it out and get hurt. But, if your capable of handling a siege or two, you're probably going to wipe out the goblins with your awesome weapons. And even if you don't have a big military, just turtle till you have candy clad warriors ready to shred them.

What he said. The important thing to remember is this - get all the candy you can, and start kitting out your guys in it as soon as possible.  You want as much as possible to help make your warriors more powerful.

It's also important to remember the threat from goblins. You may wish to station your military near the surface or even above it while mining candy, to better be able to respond rapidly to goblin sieges drawn by the sudden influx of wealth.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 10:53:52 pm »

There will also be threats from below. Certain, !!FUN!! threats. That sword is what releases these threats. It will be far worse than any gobbos. But now you wanna know what they are. Pull the sword, or dig the spires up, and find out.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 10:56:51 pm »

To deal with zombies, rembever the old maxim: Removing the head or destroying the brain. As such, send your sword or axe dwarves to deal with them.

That sounds like lots of fun :D
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 10:58:49 pm »

There will also be threats from below. Certain, !!FUN!! threats. That sword is what releases these threats. It will be far worse than any gobbos. But now you wanna know what they are. Pull the sword, or dig the spires up, and find out.
I don't know what he's talking about. Are you refering to the damn caverns? because they get dangerous right after a sword or candy gets mined. I think its cause they are drawn to the adamantine. There not so bad, really. Your military could easily dispatch the weird floating guts and crawling eyes that show up, but they ARE creepy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: [1] 2 3