Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: brewing & food/drink storage question (new player)  (Read 541 times)

Griphus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
brewing & food/drink storage question (new player)
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:48:06 pm »

Hello everyone!

I am a pretty new player... on my 5th fortress or so.  I'm using the DFwiki extensively, and trying to understand how I can stop using up all my storage containers intended for brewed drinks for food.  (in other words, I keep being unable to brew because there's not an available container for it).  I'm making stone pots at a craftsdwarf workshop repeatedly, but I can't get them routed to a drink-only stockpile or something.

The brewer page on the wiki (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Brewer) says something about limiting the number of barrels that my food stockpiles can store... can someone help me figure out how to do that?

Thanks so much for any help.  I had like 30 dwarfs die of thirst this past winter, and had to rebuild from a population of 2.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: brewing & food/drink storage question (new player)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:59:13 pm »

(p) then hit the (*) key a bunch of times (I suggest 10-20).

That reserves barrels for production, not storage.

Griphus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 02:32:52 pm »

awesome.  thank you so much.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 05:41:57 pm »

I think what you are asking about is putting prepared meals in a stockpile without putting them in barrels. Just make a stockpile in your dining area and immediately after creating it (don't even unpause) press 'q' then put the cursor on your stockpile then you can press 'E' to make sure no barrels ever end up in the stockpile.  The meals will never rot, at least not for a very, very long time.

You can certainly set the food stockpile that you already have to accept zero barrels, but this will not cause the food to removed from the barrels, unfortunately.  That's why it's important to make a stockpile that accepts prepared food only and no barrels from the get-go if you want to avoid this issue altogether.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:10:19 am »

I seem to be having the opposite issue. I have alot of barrels and rock pots, but none of them are used to store food. My stockpile is a mess and none of the dworfs will put anything in a barrel.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:31:46 am »

I seem to be having the opposite issue. I have alot of barrels and rock pots, but none of them are used to store food. My stockpile is a mess and none of the dworfs will put anything in a barrel.
Have you set the barrels to maximum (q over the stockpile, then R to maximize the number of barrels allowed)?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:12:52 am »

No. It wasn't that. A bunch of migrants just showed up, and they all set to work organizing my food stock and applying barrels...

Don't know what the issue was, I had plenty of dworfs with food hauling enabled and nothing better to do, but it is resolved now.