Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Guns of Icarus online: pay what you want!  (Read 15006 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus online: Servers up permanently!
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 05:33:35 pm »

So the game came out a few days ago on Steam, do any of you guys still play? I'm questioning whether I want to get it, cause it seems like Artemis Lite except with steampunk zeppelins.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 05:45:57 pm »

Is it free?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 05:53:12 pm »

So the game came out a few days ago on Steam, do any of you guys still play? I'm questioning whether I want to get it, cause it seems like Artemis Lite except with steampunk zeppelins.
I was playing the beta a few days ago and it was still extremely clunky. I can't even fathom how it lunched if it was still in the state when I played it. 

15 dollars isn't a lot of money but considering we're in an age of the Free2Play boom and with the Air Buccaneers competitor I have to wonder just how well this title could possibly preform. The in-game store might leave a sour taste in some people's mouths, the prices were rather high in the beta and a lot of people dislike the idea of having an in-game store in a game you've already bought.

If I have to call on whether to buy this or not, I would say to hold off and see how how big the community gets and if the bugs are ironed out. It could also be worth it to wait until Air Buccaneers comes out and see if one cannibalises the other's community.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2013, 08:31:33 am »

This is currently pay what you want at www.indiegamestand.com, in case you've ever thought of picking it up :)

It also has a singleplayer campaign kickstarter which has succeeded, so there should eventually be some singleplayer content (payed for, I assume).

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2013, 09:04:24 am »

There is also a kickstarter for their next sort of project. It's already been funded but there's some stretch goals and stuff. I haven't looked too much into it but it seemed pretty interesting.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/musegames/guns-of-icarus-onlineadventure-mode?ref=live

EDIT: Didn't see the second line of your post. Regardless, there's the link.

It's a shame that player-driven biplanes are so far down that list. I can imagine a huge player-controlled zeppelin launching a bunch of player-controlled biplanes in a battle Crimson Skies style.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:10:31 am by OzyTheSage »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus online: pay what you want!
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2013, 12:44:59 pm »

THIS NEEDS TO BE PLAYED BY EVERYONE!!!

Also Music that just goes with this game...

To get you into that Steampunk Mood. Lets have a "Steampunk Revolution"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeEI-hh3MG0

Then get those Boilers going and start "Building Steam"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLokoA915fg

Now don't forget that you "Airship Pirates"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPH1OoTobtk

Hopefully your Pilot/Capt'n is a good one, cause if you can keep "Under the Radar" you can deal a lot of damage...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjRGYE6brQY

And remember... Keep up the fight, "Until the Day You Die."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EX11Xi4pak

Oh and make sure your Balloon and Engines stay running or you risk going dead like "The Derelict"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F14L7piSUGk
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:55:14 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2013, 01:45:45 pm »

Yup, awesome game.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2014, 02:28:28 pm »

Sorry for the resurrection, but it is with good cause!

I recently bought the on-sale package and dove into GoI myself, which leaves me with 4 copies of the game to give away, for great indie justice. If you're interested in owning it, post here, PM me your Steam name, and it's yours!

First come, first served!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2014, 05:11:35 pm »

The game is more active since a recent sale, as more people have picked it up, so now's as good a time as any to give it a shot.

Also, here's a more recent topic

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2014, 06:29:32 pm »

Also, a number of people (me, Shinotsa, Redwarrior) have been playing pretty regularly anyway.

My name is James Griffin in game if anyone wants to hop on board. It's super cheap so buy it now!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2014, 08:56:46 pm »

It's surprisingly fun, though I wish they would do something about the flamethrower.

It's not overpowered as such, it's just extremely easy to use considering how effective it is, and extremely annoying to be on the receiving end of. It also makes gunner kind of worthless, because he can only carry 1 repair tool... it's much, much more valuable to have a guy who can have a chemical spray + repair tool then it is to have a guy who has 4 ammo types.

Maybe if fire stacked slower.... right now you can get 15 - 20 stacks of fire on something (and the fire can hit multiple parts) inbetween extinguisher cooldowns. 20 stacks will destroy the part almost instantly, so perma-chem spraying everything is pretty much mandatory.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2014, 08:19:31 am »

One of the ammo types is the heatsink round, though, which puts out fire automatically, and should be in ever gunners arsenal. I do tend to put a flamethrower on most of my ships, but it's primarily an annoyance weapon - it gives them one more thing to worry about, but it isn't the cause of any of their problems, just gets in the way of fixing them. They need to sit in front of it for a LONG time before a thrower brings down their weapons, and most of the flame ships tend to be pretty fragile.

The flamethrower is definitely the easiest to use though - although you need to be close. So it tends to dominate the lower tiers, but isn't nearly as useful against a ship with a good captain and a halfway decent gunner, since the flamethrowers will be knocked down before they get into range. They might come back up long enough to do a bit of damage before getting knocked down again, but that means someone is ignoring the other systems going down so it's still a win.

So basically:
Gunners should always bring heatsink ammo, it makes the gun immune to fire damage.
Captains need to control the range of their ship, and check the enemy weaponry before going out. Don't close with flame-ships.
The crew need to take down the enemy weapons sooner rather than later, and Captains need to provide them with the right guns and opportunities to do so.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2014, 09:31:07 am »

I dunno, one time we went with a pure flame pyramidion in the 'partian rumble' map, which allowed us to get in close before they could get line of sight. With greased rounds it was highly effective, and you can grab lesmok rounds if you want more range. You should also remember to make a sweeping motion with the flamer, as the fireball doesn't have such a wide effect as the particles lead you to believe, so you need to flame one part a bit, then go flame all their engines, then their balloon etc. Have them running around their entire ship to put things out. If the crew is inexperienced you can set fire to one thing then to something on the other side of the ship so they have to go back and forth across the whole ship to fix things.

Also, chem spray is your friend. If you're the main engineer on a pyramidion you can chemical spray the hull, all the engines, and one of the left guns by making a circuit around the bottom deck that only takes a few seconds. The top engineer should spray the balloon and his gun, which leaves only two guns vulnerable to fire. The main engineer can take a few more seconds to spray one of them, and if the other gunner has heatsink he can use that on the other top gun if he wanted to. Suddenly the pyramidion is pretty much immune to any fire completely, and is why it's such an easy ship to be an engy on.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2014, 08:48:09 pm »

Hey, everybody. It's time to get the band back together again! It's time for the Bay Twelve Boys to rise once more...

Bay Twelve Boys now recruiting!
Clan Tag: BAYT

Membership will NOT just be limited to people from the forums, so feel free to invite anyone you think would be a good fit.

With any luck, we'll be back to intimidating and terrifying our enemies with sky shanties in no time.

Actually, it might even be worth starting a new thread? Maybe?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:57:02 pm by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7