Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WTF: I just got raided by a kobold squad  (Read 2689 times)

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WTF: I just got raided by a kobold squad
« on: August 04, 2012, 06:43:21 am »

…has anybody experienced something like this?

I just had three casualties by a kobold raid consisting of one spearman an about 4 archers... my military wasn't realy up yet and my defenses are only cagetraps and drawbridges yet. Since kobolds avoid traps they snuck in and started firing down the main stairwell...

There was no warning the way it is when a goblin ambush is uncovered, so I was lucky to find the the dead an wounded dwarves by chance to take measures until the invaders were fended off.

Has anybody experienced something like this???

PS
They arrived at the same time as a human caravan.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WTF: I just got raided by a kobold squad
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:47:27 am »

Kobolds will start ambushing (and even sieging!) if they are very successful in stealing trinkets from your fort. They get more ambitious over time. If you're in a trap-reliant fort, you're in for a surprise.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 07:26:32 am »

They was no successful thief yet - I'm already building my military, but simply wasn't there yet...

If want to attack again - let 'em come! I'll feed candy!!! Nasty though since there is no message as there is when goblins come visit.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 07:29:00 am »

Are you sure nothing's missing? They can open locked doors, waltz past traps, and grab something unless a dwarf literally bumps into them from 1 tile away.

Are there any remnants of sieges or caravans outside your fortress? Those are easy prey for Kobolds.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

DerNachbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:48:56 am »

I had a kobold ambush in an older fort, too (34.11). Today my Gobbo ambushes are led by humans, which is new to me ;) A Swords- and an axeman leading some gobbo hammerers.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 08:00:34 am »

I had a demon lead a gobbo siege once, and also a demon ambassador by humans - the siege leader was turn into a hedgehog by my marksdwarves the other treated with kindness...

Those kobolds are nasty - now the actually stole stuff. I will kill them all!!!!!!! I will trap them and burn 'em alive - rip them apart and feed them to cavecrocs or even better I will catch a cavedragon and feed them to it!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm entering a martial trance....

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 08:16:37 am »

Kobolds will start ambushing (and even sieging!)
I'm tempted to start leaving free junk out for the lil' guys now

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 02:15:33 pm »

Kobolds will start ambushing (and even sieging!) if they are very successful in stealing trinkets from your fort. They get more ambitious over time. If you're in a trap-reliant fort, you're in for a surprise.

And this is a bad thing?

I too am going to start leaving out gifts for the kobolds.  Although since I run a "everyone in the militia w/ crossbows" defense, they don't live long if they get spotted.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 03:15:21 pm »

Do you have hunters roaming around annihilating the local wildlife? If so, they were probably carrying off stray bolts that missed and didn't break.

The value of the trinkets stolen also determines what kind of ambushes you get; really high value objects means raids of kobolds with steel equipment and higher military skills. A kobold Elite Bowman with steel arrows can be absolutely brutal on your military.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 03:18:16 pm »

Ah. Death.

That was a mighty fun ambush, who did I kill? I like knowing the names of the people I murder.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 04:18:30 pm »

I have met many kobold ambushes but no sieges.

My favorite was in my resurrecting husk cloud biome fortress. (though it had a small plot of untamed mountain.)
The borders of the map was littered with remains of years worth of failed caravans and their guards. Every now and then I would get a message that the 'lil yellow eyed buggers had stolen a steel shoe or something. Later I was clearing most of the zombies by killing them in the nonresurrecting area. Then the game paused and discovered a kobold ambush near the border of the map. A few seconds later I got a message about a cloud of horrid dust...

..An ambush full of husk kobolds :o
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 04:21:14 pm »

My experiments are coming together. Soon all of dwarven kind will face the wrath of my huskbolds.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 04:26:28 pm »

My experiments are coming together. Soon all of dwarven kind will face the wrath of my huskbolds.

They won't stop with the Dwarves.

They'll want to make more huskbolds.

They'll go after the Kobolds too.

The only difference being - Dwarves can dig deeper, Kobolds cannot.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 04:27:21 pm »

Kobolds don't have [SIEGER] tag.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 08:14:42 pm »

In dwarf fortress everything strange is a feature, even some bugs. You shouldn't be surprised by anything.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS
Pages: [1] 2