Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Atom smashing pets  (Read 1185 times)

Hmuda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Atom smashing pets
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:45:04 am »

I read somewhere that if a pet dies but nobody knows about it (dies out of sight and is marked missing), the owner will not get a negative thought. Now my question is, that if I put a pet under an atomizer, wall it off, so that nobody sees it die under the bridge and since there are no bodies to be found, will they count as missing after the deed?

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Re: Atom smashing pets
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 07:32:33 am »

I'd guess that the answer is yes. Not sure though, since I've avoided atom smashing.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:55:12 am »

I read somewhere that if a pet dies but nobody knows about it (dies out of sight and is marked missing), the owner will not get a negative thought. Now my question is, that if I put a pet under an atomizer, wall it off, so that nobody sees it die under the bridge and since there are no bodies to be found, will they count as missing after the deed?

it works with children, so I don't see why not
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Hmuda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 12:39:44 pm »

Ok, now that's just disturbing. :D

But thanks for the clarification.

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 01:54:39 pm »

Watch out for ghosts, tho (do pets leave ghosts?). I accidentally smashed a fisherdwarf while testing my main entrance bridge. Didn't see it happen, but he went missing a week later and eventually came back as a melancholy ghost. I finaly figured it out when I realized the ghost was always on the bridge.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 02:08:13 pm »

Watch out for ghosts, tho (do pets leave ghosts?). I accidentally smashed a fisherdwarf while testing my main entrance bridge. Didn't see it happen, but he went missing a week later and eventually came back as a melancholy ghost. I finaly figured it out when I realized the ghost was always on the bridge.
Pets don't leave ghosts. Any dwarves that get accidentally smashed along with fluffy will though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 02:09:33 pm »

Pets don't start haunting your fort. Plus memorial slabs are great. Strangely enough, it seems only dwarves have souls in fortress mode. Or they're the only ones selfish enough to start scaring and killing their neigbors because no-one carved a fancy slab for them.

Hmuda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 03:51:51 pm »

Can slabs even be carved for missing people? I would guess yes, just seems kinda fatalist thinking on the parts of the dwarfs. :D

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 04:02:05 pm »

Yes, it will just say "went missing in..." instead of "died of..". And practically missing means dead, only difference is that the body hasn't been found.

Hmuda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 06:26:05 pm »

I know that in essence missing is dead, just was wondering is dwarves would recognize the difference on slabs, but it seems they do. Thanks. :)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 06:36:12 pm »

No problem. However, the slab may use the vampire's real name, the original one.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 04:57:26 am »

Yes to both original questions.  Owners don't know the pet's been killed if it gets atomsmashed when no-one is looking, and the pet get listed as missing permanently.  I typically smash any and all rabbit and cavy pets that get brought into the fortress, so I know how it works.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath