Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Maximizing enemy casualties with traps?  (Read 4105 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Maximizing enemy casualties with traps?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 10:53:28 am »

remember: an unconscious dwarf will be affected by traps, so don't place it somewhere you expect there to be a lot of dwarven injuries.

I accidentally caged my own dwarf once because a goblin shot him and chipped his left leg's bone.
This once saved a Dwarf's life in my fort.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 11:33:49 am »

I have a dodge-me in my current 34.11 fort.  A 4 Z-level drop onto placed spikes.  Not generating many fatalities with it.  But...

said pit is almost done being rigged for flooding.  And I also have a marksdwarf gallery partway down.  A squad is currently practicing on a few goblin squad leaders in the pit from the last siege.  And it appears my dodge-me is a bit too strong.  The "bridge" of weapon traps containing hammers and spiked balls keeps clogging with goblin mounts.  The hammers are getting head shots and dropping the mount right there in the trap square.

I am also experimenting to see if I can get a minecart "shotgun" to shoot down the tunnel as well.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 12:23:33 pm »

There are two ways you can go about this.

My preferred method is to wall off the entire edge of the map using retracted drawbridges, save for a single small gap which is where my military is stationed.

No traps. No fortifications. No clever terrain. Just a mob of angry dwarves with steel vs a horde of goblins at point blank range. GLORY AND HONOR!  :D

The other method is to use a non-lethal trap. You can use a dodge trap or use water to push creatures off of a ledge. A retractable bridge over a 1 tile wide narrow walkway will also work well, unless they have big creatures like trolls which will just break the bridges. But the key is to only have them drop 1 level. You want to capture them, not kill them.

Once everyone is in the holding pit you can then decide what to do with them.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »

I prefer upright spike traps, since they can't get blocked, with a cage trap here and there to alert me thet there is a reason to pull the lever
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 12:32:37 pm »

Fitting in the same space with no loss of traffic capacity:

Code: [Select]
Outside
|^^^|
|^BB|
|^^^|
|BB^|
|^^^|
|^BB|
Inside

Where B is a bridge raising to the south (or north) all linked to the same lever that can be thrown quickly (so in the dining hall or somewhere else with lots of idlers). With the original design, each invader will path over n weapon traps for an n tile corridor. Under this design, each will pass over twice that number. Additionally, whilst with the original design the invaders will tend to follow a single path and therefore eventually walk in over the bodies of their predecessors jamming the mechanisms whilst other traps remain unactivated, this will have every single trap activated before any invader can penetrate to the fortress interior.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 02:10:44 pm »

The goal of a venus flytrap design is:

- Soft kill or no kill at the start, your goal is to get them to dodge off into the pit below.  That means low-quality mechanisms with low-quality training weapons.  The less damage you can do to them the better, because it ensures the goblins will stick around long enough to fall off.

- Once they fall down, they should have to cross a line of extremely lethal traps in order to come back up.  This is where you put your line of multiple weapon traps made out of masterwork iron/steel.

- In order to escape (if they get past the lethal traps), they must cross at least 2/3 of trap line, or attempt the last 1/3 of the dodge-this walkways to get into your fort.  This usually results in them falling off again and having to repeat the process.

- Multiple levels of parallel and staggered walkways, lined with non-lethal traps.  The leader dodges off of walkway at Z0, lands (stunned) on walkway Z-1, walks a few steps, dodges off onto a walkway on Z-2.  While this is going on, because nobody is dead or seriously injured yet, the rest of the goblin squad is going to make a beeline for the stairs down into the pit in order to get near to their leader again.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 08:00:16 pm »

Make them dodge into magma, or water. More sure, generally.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.
Pages: 1 [2]