Yes, all of them.
- 24 (66.7%)
At least half.
- 3 (8.3%)
No, stop, that's a terrible idea.
- 9 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need a challenge  (Read 3028 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need a challenge
« on: August 03, 2012, 09:47:36 pm »

I need one, and I don't know what kind of challenge to do. Feel free to suggest basically anything. This includes mods, although, I've already done quite a bit of fortress defense and corrosion. So I'll need more than just "play this mod", unless it's harder than that. As long as it isn't fake difficulty. I'll log the results in this thread when possible.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:59:17 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: I need a challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:51:03 pm »

Evil Biome Embark with no miner and mason

Best I could think of quickly
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:52:21 pm »

Build a dwarven railgun, using bridges and debris. For bonus points, use socks as ammo.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:58:36 pm »

Entire fortress held up by easily accessible support

When migrants come and your fortress is considered full, get one of them to remove the steps accessing your fort so only the support remains. Pump stacks are allowed. (Let's say you have, oh, one and a half years.)
My wooden badge was delicious.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 10:07:51 pm »

In the evil biome embark, would that also restrict building walls out of wood? If so, not sure how to do that. If not, I've done that before. As for the dwarven railgun, I'll probably combine that with another challenge. Goomba, that sounds.... fun? I suppose I could get new food through breeding/eggs, but booze would probably be a problem. I'd probably run out of water eventually too, unless I can find a way to create and power a neverending amount of water into a reservoir. And then I'd have to make sure trolls can't reach the supports(with bolts, traps would be kinda cheap(although they'd jam eventually and be useless. I give it 3 sieges at best before the whole thing dies)) because otherwise.... Then there's the problem of what to do with migrants. As a side note, I can't figure out minecarts. I've tried tutorials, but it doesn't seem to work for me.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 10:11:48 pm »

In the evil biome embark, would that also restrict building walls out of wood? If so, not sure how to do that. If not, I've done that before. As for the dwarven railgun, I'll probably combine that with another challenge. Goomba, that sounds.... fun? I suppose I could get new food through breeding/eggs, but booze would probably be a problem. I'd probably run out of water eventually too, unless I can find a way to create and power a neverending amount of water into a reservoir. And then I'd have to make sure trolls can't reach the supports(with bolts, traps would be kinda cheap(although they'd jam eventually and be useless. I give it 3 sieges at best before the whole thing dies)) because otherwise.... Then there's the problem of what to do with migrants. As a side note, I can't figure out minecarts. I've tried tutorials, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

It doesn't restrict building wooden walls. Perhaps an evil desert with no river and an auquifer.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 10:34:56 pm »

You may of already seen it, but there are some good challenges on the wiki:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Challenges

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:41:23 pm »

Make a pump stack from a river or ocean (screw pumps magically desalinate water). By the way, dwarfs don't need water unless they're injured - it's totally possible to have a fortress in a desert where water evaporates year-round as long as you've got a plump helmet plot and a still. Injured dwarfs can be dropped onto sieges, preferably when they're carrying something sharp.

Migrants can make a Below Fortress that catapults (via drawbridge maybe?) goods upwards. This sounds compelling, actually, I'm making a challenge thread!

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 10:44:35 pm »

Flatten the entire map, then build a Dwarven Orbital Bombardment System that can bombard specific points on the surface with falling obsidian blocks, magma mist, and steam from max Z-level using a grid of levers.  Only things allowed above ground are lookout towers for your "spotters" to see the enemy.  Bonus points: Have your lever grid sealed off from the rest of your fort and manned 24/7 by vampires.  Super Bonus points: Do it in an evil biome.  Mega Bonus points: An evil reanimating biome.  UBER DWARFY MEGA BONUS POINTS:  Have it be your only line of defense and survive. 

OR, in an evil biome, have all your buildings above ground level (constructed walls and floors/roofs are okay).  Only things allowed below ground are mines, pump stacks, and cisterns. 

OR, invade the circus and move your entire fortress down there, sealing off the entrance behind you.  Defend the world above from the horrors of evil clowns. SUPER MEGA UBER DWARFY BONUS POINTS: Construct the above-mentioned defense system in the circus to help you defeat the legions of Fun.   
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 10:48:30 pm »

In roughly this order...
  • Install mods of choice for extra sieging races, such as Fortress Defense. Something like Modest Mod might be useful too.
  • Increase the number of evil weather/werebeast/vampire/syndrome/etc effects in advanced world gen for increased variety
  • Rerange the weather values to favor freezing or scorching
  • Increase semi/megabeast caves, along with titan count.
  • Remove titan pop/export requirement, set fortress wealth requirement
  • Generate the world with a short history
  • Find a nice terrifying biome with either scorching or freezing weather (helps if you preview it to make sure it reanimates or has evil weather). Don't embark here yet but note it.
  • Create and play several fortresses to the population limit, then make all the dwarves as miserable, crazy, and downright mad as you can while killing as few as possible, then abandon. Bonus points if you uberdwarf their stats before torturing them. All of these fortresses should be relatively nearby the previously noted embark.
  • Embark on the previously selected terrifying biome. Use challenging profile of choice.
  • Derive all food from butchered animals. Rapid reproducers like turkeys are a great choice.
  • Begin above ground mega project of your choice.

You'll have all the trouble of a hard embark with most of your immigrants arriving from your previously abandoned forts, berserking/tantruming on arrival, just like you left them. If you uberdwarfed them, they'll be quite a handful and give both the evil biome and you a run for your money. Since you'll probably need a functioning military, I'd recommend applying atleast the binary patch to fix military negative thoughts (they don't go away even when off duty, just escalate).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:58:44 pm by Elvang »
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »

In roughly this order...
  • Install mods of choice for extra sieging races, such as Fortress Defense.
  • Increase the number of evil weather/werebeast/vampire/syndrome effects in advanced world gen
  • Rerange the weather values to favor freezing or scorching
  • Increase semi/megabeast caves, along with titan count.
  • Remove titan pop requirement, set fortress wealth requirement
  • Generate the world with a short history
  • Find a nice terrifying biome with either scorching or freezing weather (helps if you preview it to make sure it reanimates or has evil weather). Don't embark here yet but note it.
  • Create and play several fortresses to the population limit, then make all the dwarves as miserable, crazy, and downright mad as you can while killing as few as possible, then abandon. Bonus points if you uberdwarf their stats before torturing them. All of these fortresses should be relatively nearby the previously noted embark.
  • Embark on the previously selected terrifying biome.
  • Begin mega project of your choice.
You'll have all the trouble of a hard embark with most of your immigrants arriving from your previously abandoned forts, berserking/tantruming on arrival, just like you left them. If you uberdwarfed them, they'll be quite a handful and give both the evil biome and you a run for your money.
This sounds fairly good to me, except for the bit where I make multiple forts. That's a bit too much effort on my part.
So, what I'm going to be looking for is a scorching terrifying desert with an aquifer and no river. As an added bonus, my only defense(unless said defenses can't be setup at the time) will be throwing garbage at my enemies via bridges/hatches/etc. In addition, the main fortress housing the starting 7 + the migrants that are there when it is done, will be on top of a single support, and new migrants will have to build their own fort. This sound !!Fun!! enough yet? Because I'll be using Fortress defense mod and the following mod just to mix things up. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109416.0 So, anyone want to be dwarfed into this inevitable failure?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 11:15:15 pm »

OR download my mod (link is in the sig) and experience a shameless plug fun! It replaces dwarfs with creepers, who explode on death. The explosion is capable of killing other creepers. Do the math. Then make a crowded fort :D

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:18:51 pm »

I think I've got quite enough Fun prepared at this point, but hey, why not.
On second thought, never mind.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:30:58 pm by Person »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 11:30:37 pm »

No traps, no danger room, no drawbridge barriers.  That should be enough challenge for a bit.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 11:31:32 pm »

No traps, no danger room, no drawbridge barriers.  That should be enough challenge for a bit.
Sounds good to me. I'll start generating the world then....
Pages: [1] 2