Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not getting correct items from butcher?  (Read 635 times)

Frag_Dad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not getting correct items from butcher?
« on: August 03, 2012, 05:21:24 pm »

I'm a bit confused over my butchers at the moment. I've brought along a couple of turkeys to provide poults for meat, leather, bones etc. However, when my butchers slaughter a poult, I usually only get a skull. Occasionally I'll get the meat, fat, skin etc. as well, but it seems to happen perhaps 1 in 5 times.

Why is this?
..........., Recruit, has been struck down  x20

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Not getting correct items from butcher?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:38:26 pm »

The creature you slaughtered was so small that the butcher wasn't able to get anything out of it - the skull is the only thing you're guaranteed to get.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Frag_Dad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:00:54 pm »

Ah, OK, thanks for that. I did think it might have been the case, but couldn't find any information about it anywhere.

Good to know!
..........., Recruit, has been struck down  x20

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:12:40 pm »

DF tries to be pretty realistic in many if not most cases. Just ask yourself: if they'd be butchered for real, would you actually get anything usefull? Fish have less bones in their own way so even not too large fish can make a meal, but a poult... well... Or a kitten. One mouthfull and it's gone and that means all of it including all those things you usually get from slaughtering animals like eyes, brains, meat, fat, spleen, whatevers. So butchering a kitten won't get much either. Butchering a baby elephant after a year gets results though.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:49:43 pm »

Turkeys are good to bring on embark because you always get full-grown adults, but if you're breeding for meat and bones and such dogs are a better bet. You can bring three and slaughter the male after he gets the females pregnant, and then at the end of autumn you should start getting puppies.

Pigs are good too, though a little expensive for embarking with. Their newborn size is much larger and they grow twice as large as dogs, though this may not necessarily translate into twice as much meat.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 11:13:11 pm »

I had similar experiences with breeding turkeys in my current fort.  I tried butchering some after they grew into gobblers and hens, and I still didn't get meat for about half of them that I butchered.  Ah well.

The plus side though is that turkeys lay an insane number of eggs.  10 turkeys can keep 100 dwarves fed, easily.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 11:34:45 pm »

Did you butcher them as soon as they grew up, or when they were two years old? Many animals that mature at 1 don't reach full size until 2.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 02:55:40 pm »

It was immediately after they grew up.  I had a hunch that they wouldn't be full size then, but tried it out anyway.  I'll wait longer before butchering them in the future.
Through pain, I find wisdom.