Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Evochron Mercenary  (Read 6764 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evochron Mercenary
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:37:06 pm »

Before I begin, I know there's already a thread on this, but it's been dead for 7 months and I don't want to necro it.

So yeah, Evochron Mercenary. Does anyone else have this nifty little gem? I've not played it all that much (time constraints) but what I've seen I would say it's similar to Mount and Blade in space. Get ship, fly around, do whatever you want. Piracy, trading, bounty hunting, etc.
On of the more interesting (and downright awesome) features is the completely seamless travel. Once you get into the game, there are no loading screens. No solar systems separated by jump gates (though there are gates just to speed up travel) and a loading screen. See that planet? Want to land on it? Set up a descent path (and this is important, or you can burn up in the atmosphere) and land. On planets there are hidden objects and places to find, cities and spaceports to dock at, and some pretty sweet looking landscapes to admire.

There is also ship customisation; you choose a frame (hull type) and put things on it like engines, fuel tanks, cargo bays, shields, and wings for atmospheric flight. You can choose the positioning and x/y/z proportions of each part to your liking, too.

Finally, there's a pretty massive content update coming at some point this year, which looks to make it even more awesome.

Also, I'm not that great at writing OPs. Discuss! :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evochron Mercenary
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:46:12 pm »

How does this game compare to the X series? Iv been kind of interested but i could use some player feedback.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 03:47:26 pm »

I'd play it more if I had someone to play with.

really, all I can do is float around, mine and then sell. not much else.

There are a couple servers up most of the time with a fair few people on you can join. Only reason I haven't joined myself is I haven't had the time.

How does this game compare to the X series? Iv been kind of interested but i could use some player feedback.

It differs in that it's actually playable to newcomers :P It also feels like less of a singleplayer EVE.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:53:02 pm »

It differs in that it's actually playable to newcomers :P It also feels like less of a singleplayer EVE.

Well considering this are the DF forums its not surprise i didint had a single problem with A, and i dont know what to feel about B. Does it mean no construction or own fleet? Its like a "dumbed" down X?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 03:58:10 pm »

There is construction, you can build entire space stations and such. I'm pretty sure you can have a fleet, too, but I've not really gotten that far in.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 04:30:53 pm »

I bought this when it was first released on Steam.  The game sounded really awesome.  The amount of freedom, being able to land down on a planet without loading screens was a big selling point for me.  At the time though, it just felt empty, like there just wasn't much to do.  However, it looks like they have improved a lot since then, and with the new update, sounds like there will be heaps more stuff.

The internal cockpit on release really annoyed me for some reason.   Just checked out new screenshots for it, and they made a LOT of improvements since release.  It's been out long before Steam release and have had a following since.

Glad to see they are still improving it.  I might have to fire it up again....

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 05:41:02 pm »

The internal cockpit on release really annoyed me for some reason.

There are cockpit mods that completely change the look and feel of the HUD and dashboard now. Some of them are really good, and at least one is being included in the upcoming update.
I think I'll leave it until the big content update before I try to get into it properly. Don't want to have to learn it all now and then learn it all again with the update.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:40:10 pm »

Sure, everyone tells me about it after I blew my gaming budget! I imagine they might put the game on sale for the new update, so I will join you then.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 06:53:43 pm »

Is it like Freelancer?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 06:56:30 pm »

Sure, everyone tells me about it after I blew my gaming budget! I imagine they might put the game on sale for the new update, so I will join you then.

Sucks that you missed it in the summer sale, I got it for like £5 or something ridiculous. But yeah, it'll hopefully be on sale again for the update. :)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 09:13:48 am »

So this is on sale for steam and looks good is it worth it? And are any bay12 guys playing multiplayer ? Would be cool if we could get a few of us on a server.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:42:40 am »

How is it, specs-wise? I've had it on steam since the sale but haven't tried to play it since I wasn't sure if it would run.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 09:44:15 am »

How is it, specs-wise? I've had it on steam since the sale but haven't tried to play it since I wasn't sure if it would run.

Processor: 2.0 GHz AMD/Intel     
Memory: 1.5 GB RAM     
Hard Disk Space: 750 MB        
Video Card: 128 MB DirectX Compatible        
DirectX®: 9.0c

Does not seem to be to top heavy

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 09:51:03 am »

I read about this a long time ago. Is there anything to do right now or should I stick with the X-series?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 09:56:41 am »

I read about this a long time ago. Is there anything to do right now or should I stick with the X-series?

From what i have read its got a lot more to do in it than the X series and also it has multiplayer as well!

Does anyone know if multiplayer has sandbox where there could be 12 of us cutting about the universe doing what ever?
Pages: [1] 2