Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Evochron Mercenary  (Read 6758 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evochron Mercenary
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 10:35:08 am »

I've played Evochron Legends, and nabbed Mercenary last year, during one of the Steam sales. It's fun for a while, but despite the size of the universe, there's not much uniqueness to it. Everything feels pretty generic, and not really alive. And contrary to ScriptWolf, I believe the X series offers you more stuff to do, and a better chance to build some sort of empire. The universe is just more fleshed out across the board, but the problem with X3 has always been it's crappy single-core engine, which struggles to give 60 FPS whenever there's anything more complex than a single station on screen.

But back to Mercenary, yeah, there's not much to do. Once you realize Fulcrum Torpedoes can give you a big profit margin, you'll be making millions and soon have your ship maxed out. That might have a bit of an exploity feel to it, but the alternative is doing boring repetitive missions for paltry monetary and reputation gain, which is quite MMO-ish. Or mining or some saner trading, but the result is the same. There's a lot of planets out there, but they're all bland and uninteresting, and there's technically rare anomalies and hidden places you can discover, but you can't hope to do so without some sort of guide unless you enjoy spending many hours on end traversing black, empty space, hoping to stumble upon something. But that's very unlikely, given space is big. And by big I mean HUGE.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 04:59:23 pm »

Do we have a Bay12 server for this now that the expansion has been released?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 09:38:37 pm »

no expansion just a updated patch that adds a few small things

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 10:04:34 pm »

Able to fly capital ships in this game? I think that would be the breaker for me if you couldnt.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 11:31:14 pm »

X universe with all the moddable possibility is crzy in terms of scope and gameplay mecanics. personaly i would go X universe anytime due to the sheer amount of modding and community involvment
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 [2]