Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pet elephants and feeding  (Read 2194 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pet elephants and feeding
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:27:58 pm »

I know that tame elephants will starve faster than they can feed themselves, but what if one is a pet?  Since pet grazers get fed by their owners, hypothetically a pet elephant can survive, yeah?  Also, I've noticed that my war dogs often get named.  Does that mean that they're war animals *and* pets?  Will a war elephant that is named also get fed by the dwarf it is assigned to?

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet elephants and feeding
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:37:02 pm »

War dogs tend to get named is you assign them to a dwarf. I've never managed to keep my elephants from starving, but try it out.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 03:40:02 pm »

I checked it out, and it seems that owners dont' feed their grazing pets. So basically they'd just die quicker. Modding the raws a bit helps though.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:40:35 pm »

I wonder if that's because the owner was too busy?  I've seen owners feed pets before when scanning through jobs.  Maybe it's a low priority job like cleaning?  I'm going to set my next grazing animal to a "pasture" inside without any grass once it's adopted.  I'll then set the owner to no jobs at all, and see if they can keep it fed.  /cross_fingers

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:42:21 pm »

Wiki claims that no feeding actually ever takes place. Don't know if that's old info or something.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 08:07:03 pm »

might actually be new, since I vaguely recall someone feeding a pet goat at some point, long ago... it's not something you keep an eye on, but well, most grazing pets don't starve, even underground, so it works still. Probably dwarfs can't feed elephants faster than they starve.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:23:23 am »

I can confirm that as of the current moment dwarves do not feed grazing pets, and never have. The only feeding that currently goes on is when a dwarf steps over some grass and the pet eats it because they are following the dwarf.

Also as is it is impossible for elephants to survive for more then a limited period of time without modding, regardless of pet status.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 01:45:40 am »

Drat.  Well, I guess I'll mod the grazer amount and just pretend my dwarves supplement the elephant's grazing with hay and peanuts ;).

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 04:31:55 am »

I'd like to add that altough it's THEORETICALLY possible to keep an elephant from starving in a pasture, it would need and endless source of the thickest grass. Moving around isn't eating, and so the elephant will eventually starve. Without modding, they're best used as a forward defence, killing some gobbos before starving or getting killed otherwise.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 11:01:36 am »

guess we'll have to wait for feeding troughs and such, using cave wheat for hay and whatever more
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 12:22:38 pm »

I have had a pet sheep kept alive for a couple of years now.  I'll keep an eye on it, see if it gets fed.  There is nowhere it could have been feeding from, thanks to 4 FBs in the cavern layer.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 12:31:42 pm »

I have had a pet sheep kept alive for a couple of years now.  I'll keep an eye on it, see if it gets fed.  There is nowhere it could have been feeding from, thanks to 4 FBs in the cavern layer.

I mentioned that, though in relation to goats, and it was ignored, though I didn't specify there was no way it could feed

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 12:44:14 pm »

Once you breach the caverns, fungus and such start growing everywhere underground. They act like grass, allowing grazers to eat.

zuglar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 01:52:22 pm »

I wonder if that's because the owner was too busy?  I've seen owners feed pets before when scanning through jobs.  Maybe it's a low priority job like cleaning?  I'm going to set my next grazing animal to a "pasture" inside without any grass once it's adopted.  I'll then set the owner to no jobs at all, and see if they can keep it fed.  /cross_fingers
I've never seen them feed a pet, but I do get random "give water" jobs when no dorfs are wounded... and cancellation spam in winter if I don't have a well. I always wonder whether it's bound for pets/livestock, because nobody ever seems to die as a result. Who knows, tho.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 02:03:54 pm »

I've never seen them feed a pet, but I do get random "give water" jobs when no dorfs are wounded... and cancellation spam in winter if I don't have a well. I always wonder whether it's bound for pets/livestock, because nobody ever seems to die as a result. Who knows, tho.
Sometimes if a dwarf has been working for a while and they become thirsty your dwarves will try to bring them water. Strangely it sometimes seems like this "bring water to non-wounded dwarves" is higher priority then "bring water to wounded dwarves". :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2