Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding the exact middle of an embark?  (Read 879 times)

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding the exact middle of an embark?
« on: August 03, 2012, 01:06:53 pm »

Does anyone know a handy way of finding the exact center of an embark? Need to for a construction project, and counting each tile is a little daunting.  :o

Edit: resolved, in the end brute force counting did it for me. I had just been procrastinating at the prospect of counting tile by tile. :P
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:42:52 pm by Spinning Welshman »
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the exact middle of an embark?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 01:19:55 pm »

Use Quickfort, then enable a blue print with this command added and follow the note:

#dig start(96; 96; start at the lower righthand corner of a 4x4 embark map)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 01:27:34 pm »

Note that because each embark tile is 48 by 48 there will never be an "exact center" tile of the map. The closest you can get is the center 2x2 block.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 01:34:53 pm »

Use Quickfort, then enable a blue print with this command added and follow the note:

#dig start(96; 96; start at the lower righthand corner of a 4x4 embark map)

Thanks for the tip, however it seems quickfort has a distinct dislike of my computer and refuses to start up properly (at least, nothing comes up when i launch it)
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 01:35:55 pm »

Note that because each embark tile is 48 by 48 there will never be an "exact center" tile of the map. The closest you can get is the center 2x2 block.

That actually doesn't matter, because the base of my construction is 2x2 in any case.  :P

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 05:19:47 pm »

I often use custom stockpiles, which accept nothing valid as ways to paint markers on the surface or to count off squares or to plan future roads / walls.

And a lot of shift-arrow, starting at the corners of the embark and working your way inward should do the trick.

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 08:21:30 pm »

I did this exact thing only 3x3 with a pillar in the middle. That shifted things over 1 tile but i'm trying not to be OCD about it. I simply went down 2 or 3 levels, to get past the water and pools and started in a corner. Mark it with a dig order so it shows up brown and shift+arrow 8 or 9 times in one direction. Then go to the opposite side and do the same back over. Eventually you get to 2 tiles that are right in the middle and you mark them all the way across the map and then repeat for the other direction. In the end you have 2 lines intersecting the very middle of the map and you build up/down stairs for 10 levels (you can mark and > < over a number of z-levels at once for fast stairs).

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 11:50:06 pm »

DFHack also has a way to locate an embark's center, namely the command "expdig cross" which makes a cross in the exact center of the map. Probably the quickest and most convenient way if you use DFHack.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!