Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin snatchers  (Read 1944 times)

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin snatchers
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:30:25 pm »

I just watched a goblin snatcher snatch a dwarf child and make a run for it. So of course i set my military on him and they quickly caught up and put the fear of Armok in her. The thing is, i don't see the child wandering around now. I did see the child (forgot the name) in the goblins bag in inVentory and she dropped the bag mid fight but it was empty. Now i'm not sure where the child is. Should i expect a missing for a week message soon and a tantruming mother soon after?

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin snatchers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:42:37 pm »

That's weird. Are you sure that the one you saw didn't just distract you and another one stayed hidden while snatching the kid? It has happened to me (got the warning message, saw the thief and the child disappeared. Killed he thief but the child wasn't in the bag.)

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 04:32:01 pm »

No there was only the one snatcher on the unit list. Oddly enough it's been seasons and no missing child or tantruming parents. Either they didn't wan't it or it's a magician child who did it's Houdini impersonation and slipped thru the false door in the back.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:41:08 pm »

It's a bug of some kind then, most likely. The missing/deceased screen doensn't show the child?

Tres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:55:10 pm »

Kindergarten burrow inside.

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 06:57:44 pm »

Burrow is a really good idea. I'm already thinking where to put it. I've been paying much closer attention and it turns out the Houdini theory wasn't too far from the truth. I watched 2 more snatchers die and the child always seems to appear 6 or 7 tiles away. As if they are thrown from the bag. So i think that explains what happened. It simply appeared off screen (i stay zoomed way in because of my old eyes) and scurried off out of view.

As a side note, the last child snatched had thier chest slashed open and a fractured lung. It was back to dented chest after 10 minutes of rest. Tough little buggers though i wonder why a snatcher would stab a child in the chest before snatching it.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 04:21:41 am »

That's because snatchers usually panic when discovered and slash anyone nearby before running.

Tres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 08:58:23 am »

Tough little buggers though i wonder why a snatcher would stab a child in the chest before snatching it.

I was actually wondering why would a snatcher risk his neck in the first place

a. reversed cuckoo, goblins are infertile and every child they steal eventually turns green from living undergrou... erhm. Well, they turn green somehow and join the goblin army.
b. children are tasty, hence it doesn't matter if it's dead already before the roasting apart from spoiling the gobfun

Burrow is a really good idea. I'm already thinking where to put it.

Well, my kinderburrow is just main meeting hall, food stockpiles and bedfloor. Parents can play with them after work, give them carved wooden axedwarf and goblin figures etc. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:35:20 am by Tres »

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 09:08:27 am »

Actually, they're just brainwashed and then join the goblin faction. Often kidnapped children grow up to be leaders of some sort in the goblin society.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 11:19:07 am »

they steal them because

1 they are pedophiles 

2 they are saving them from nobles
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 11:51:42 am »

If a goblin was hurt in the arm he may have dropped the bag which would cause the child to go free. If he was still able to survive your military for some time after dropping the bag then after dying his body will be several tiles away from where the child broke free. Also, if you did not receive the "kidnapper has made off with a baby" message then everything is ok.