Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Store Item Interrrupted by Wildlife help.  (Read 550 times)

Ursist Mcstunty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Store Item Interrrupted by Wildlife help.
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:22:13 am »

I have just started a new fortress, I have a fairly decent base and there is lots of wood around. My woodcutter was gathering chopping down trees when he saw some non freindly wildlife, he continued to chop down the trees but stopped collecting them, the creatures have long since passed but I can't get anyone to collect them, can anypne tell me how?
The carp stands up....

wait wat

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Store Item Interrrupted by Wildlife help.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:46:17 am »

I've had job cancelations because of wildlife. I just send the military out or wait for them to leave and things clear up by themselves. It's strange your STILL getting cancelations though. Check the units list to see whats out there and hit the 'a' key to make sure your not seeing old message spam. Also double check the burrows setting just in case, they might not be allowed out to get stuff.

Ursist Mcstunty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 11:50:51 am »

I'm not getting any more messages, they just won't get it, I had my woodcutter chop down some more wood, which he did but it was not collected, no message, nothing, I'll check my burrows.
The carp stands up....

wait wat

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:57:31 am »

if it's not burrows check if it is forbidden and how your (o)rders settings are
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:58:29 am »

Are you still getting cancellation spam, or is it that the job(s) to pick up the items aren't initiating?

If you are getting cancellation spam, I'd check burrow restrictions.

If the job isn't getting started I'd check the (o) standing orders screen, hauling labors on your dwarves, the forbidden status of the item, the destination stockpile settings, pathing, or if the dwarves are simply too busy doing something else.

Also, sometimes the job to haul something just won't get started, though I've only seen it with one or two items at most.  In those cases, highlighting the item under the (k) menu, forbidding, and immediately un-forbidding the item, serves to "activate" the item for hauling jobs again.

Ursist Mcstunty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:04:55 pm »

Thanks I'll try this now.
The carp stands up....

wait wat

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 07:29:23 pm »

Try disabling and then re-enabling wood in the stockpile. That seems to have the job orders reissued.

One of the first things to do if you expect hostile wildlife is to put up a military dwarf and station them out in the open. It chases most wildlife off.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 01:56:32 am »

With the new stockpile and workshop setting it's quite easy to accidetally change the settings so that the stockpile or workshop only accepts stuff from a source rather than from anywhere.

Also, if you have wheelbarrows enabled on a stockpile and there is no wheelbarrow no items will be taken to the pile.

Have you tried to make a new wood stockpile?

Sometimes these proplems arise from diconnected levels for instance by digging away a supporting wall from a ramp.