Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did a vampire couple join my fortress? I'm a bit confused  (Read 2288 times)

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did a vampire couple join my fortress? I'm a bit confused
« on: August 03, 2012, 10:00:41 am »

First of all, I'm not new to Dwarf Fortress, but I'm new to this version. I haven't played with vampires yet so I'm a bit confused on identifying them, even after reading the wiki article and everything.

So I started a new fortress, everything was going well and then I got my third migration wave which was only a couple of married dwarves. They both seem fairly old (125 and 119) and one of them has 114 kills. The other has none, though. They really seemed like vampires to my untrained eyes, but why would one of them have 114 kills and the other have none? Is only one of them a vampire? They also don't have any thoughts related to eating, drinking or sleeping, so I thought it seemed they were both vampires. But I'm not sure.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Did a vampire couple join my fortress? I'm a bit confused
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:08:54 am »

Though ive not had experience with my own vampires, try putting the people you suspect to be vamps in a room with no food or drink, if they dont die after a while, like, a longish while, they are either vamps, or, something else that doesnt require food or drink.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:40:37 am »

Usually vamps have belonged to a lot of different groups. Also, if you give them a nickname, the nickname won't show up in the units list ('u' key). You can cheat with dwarf therapist (I use splinterz version, I dunno about the "plain" therapist) and it will highlight any dwarf with a "curse."

I'd be cautious and lock em up or at least keep an eye on your bedrooms. Vamps like to target your high-skilled dwarves and drain them of blood while they're sleeping. The vamp in my current fort drained my best soldier (he was captain of the guard) and then drained my legendary armorsmith before I realized what was up  >:(

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:23:32 pm »

Well, I tried giving them nicknames but they show up on the unit list, so does that pretty much make them innocent?

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 01:07:32 pm »

i doesn't matter whenther or not he a vamp he has 114 kill he is goign to be your best defence, idk how people make use of vampires but so someone else will have to tell you.

also what is the name of the dude (or vampire)
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 01:09:46 pm »

Check the groups they have been a part of.  Vampires will have more than 5 rows of description of places they have lived.  Also, 114 kills isn't unreasonable for a normal hunter.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 01:10:24 pm »

Yes, it pretty much makes them innocent. In the current versions its not realy that unusual to get badass dwarves with loads of kills on migrant waves, particularly if your civ is at war. Just for curiosity, what are his kills (goblin, dwarf, etc) and his highest skills?
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 01:14:13 pm »

The problem is that young vampires can sometimes slip by the history test.  I always give suspicious dwarves the station test.  Put them in a militia and set them on a move/station order away from everyone else and in clear view.  If they're innocent, they'll eventually get thirsty, hungry, and/or sleepy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 01:17:45 pm »

Usually vamps have belonged to a lot of different groups. Also, if you give them a nickname, the nickname won't show up in the units list ('u' key).
It will whether the nickname is given in-game or with DT. That method of vamp checking has been fixed.

How long ago did they arrive? Immigrants don't get hungry, thirsty, or sleepy immediately, and they won't necessarily get any thoughts from drinking. Eating and sleeping thoughts are a little harder to avoid, as most to all circumstances in which dwarves can eat or sleep have thoughts attached.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 02:56:42 pm »

Yes, it pretty much makes them innocent. In the current versions its not realy that unusual to get badass dwarves with loads of kills on migrant waves, particularly if your civ is at war. Just for curiosity, what are his kills (goblin, dwarf, etc) and his highest skills?

Actually, here's a screenshot of her kills. It's just some random monsters. And she has a bunch of different military and social skills leveled up: Hammerdwarf, Marksdwarf, Persuader, etc.

It will whether the nickname is given in-game or with DT. That method of vamp checking has been fixed.

How long ago did they arrive? Immigrants don't get hungry, thirsty, or sleepy immediately, and they won't necessarily get any thoughts from drinking. Eating and sleeping thoughts are a little harder to avoid, as most to all circumstances in which dwarves can eat or sleep have thoughts attached.

They arrived about a season ago, I think. But the one with the kill count just had a thought about eating in a legendary dining room, so I guess that makes her innocent. I was just about to make her pass the drowning test, too. (As I believe vampires cannot drown). The other one still doesn't have anything, though. However, he did admire his own bed if that means anything.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »

I was just about to make her pass the drowning test, too. (As I believe vampires cannot drown).
They indeed do not drown, but that's a pretty stupid way to test for a vampire since it generally results in the death of an innocent dwarf...

The other one still doesn't have anything, though. However, he did admire his own bed if that means anything.
That only means he was standing in his bedroom and looked at his bed. If he actually slept in it, there'd be another thought for that.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 08:59:26 pm »

I was just about to make her pass the drowning test, too. (As I believe vampires cannot drown).
They indeed do not drown, but that's a pretty stupid way to test for a vampire since it generally results in the death of an innocent dwarf...

The other one still doesn't have anything, though. However, he did admire his own bed if that means anything.
That only means he was standing in his bedroom and looked at his bed. If he actually slept in it, there'd be another thought for that.

He is just using a proven method of scared "dwarves" the Salem McUrsit Witch Trials!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 09:31:30 pm »

You could chuck them in an unramped pool that's mostly 6/7 with a few 7/7 tiles to cause brief drowning. They can't even attempt to get out until they reach Novice Swimmer, and depending on the exact ratio of 6/7 tile to 7/7 tiles they might be in there for a while longer, so it's useful for your non-vampire population.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ostrich Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 04:09:38 am »

Well, they both ate and slept like any normal dwarf so it turns out they're innocent. Thank lord. I was about to drown two perfectly innocent dwarves with many useful high level skills. Now one of them is the captain of my new militia and the other will soon start making weapons and armors. Looks like everything ended well, after all.

donfuan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 02:54:16 pm »

my actual vampire has 26 skills with at least novice level. the normal dorf has 0 to maybe 7/8 skills. if you let world creation run for at least 200 years, it's normally much easier to identify them. But: sometimes it's not that easy - she has only 17 relatives, my last vamp had about 25 PAGES of relatives :O