Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infections  (Read 1364 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Infections
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:26:42 am »

I had a Markdwarf get too close to a Giant Peach-faced Lovebird.  Got swung around by the head and had his hip smashed, but lived.  My HMO lacks running water and as a result infection set in.  Several months after the initial injury I noticed he was affected by Moderate Bloodloss.  A month later he had Sever Bloodloss.  Eventually he died of Bloodloss--Did not see that coming.

My question: This stems from the infection, right?  If not, whatelse could it be?  I don't think it is a vampire, because he wasn't sleeping.  I don't like it is a syndrome because I've only had one FB and he didn't get close.

Follow up question:  Does it still work to hurt a dwarf with an infection to have another chance to properly dress the old wounds and cure the infection?  If yes, what is a good way to inflict a small, but reliable amount of "ouchie"?
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

poothoottoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infections
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:39:09 am »

I have never seen any dwarf get bloodless from infection. My militia commander got a tick an dropped on his hand that fractured his wrist and hand requiring a traction for half a year. He got an infection but has suffered no bleeding damage outside of when he was still injured.

Well he still has an infection even though it healed all the way so I'll see if dumping him down a 2 z level pit breaks anything and gets doctors to fix the infection.
Frankly Scarlet I don't give a yam.

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 11:58:27 am »

I've only had 1 dwarf die to infection (i'm new, give me time) though i do have soap and a well handy. I think it's something that just happens despite having everything available. They just wont wash thier filthy selves.

I have a number of dwarves running around with smashed open fingers and toes too. I've even had dwarves with broken limbs carry on as if nothing were wrong. Either it's lazy medics or too much booze(if thats possible). Maybe cleaning an infection is a medical job that sometimes never gets done because the obvious wounds heal?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 01:35:54 pm »

It seems as though infection can sit for a while and then quickly kill a dwarf. I don't know whether it kicks in suddenly at some point or steadily reduces a dwarf's blood count (in which case the amount of time the dwarf spends faint/pale should be proportionate to the amount of time they were fine), but sometimes a dwarf can be infected for a decade and sometimes they'll be dead within months. I recently had an animal that was hit by a minecart and took three or four years to succumb to infection.

Reinjuring may work if the whole dwarf is cleaned. If just the injured parts are cleaned, then you'd have to injure not just the dwarf but the specific infected part.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.