Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "High luxury"?  (Read 3861 times)

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"High luxury"?
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:56:36 am »

A picture for your consideration:

Let me begin by saying that this dwarf has the longest former-member-of list I've seen yet. I summoned all the willpower I could muster to try to read through all of it, and something near the end (starting just above the golden, age & birthday text) got my attention:
"She is the former high luxury of The West Coven."
High luxury? I'd assume it's some strange way of saying something akin to "leader" or maybe "noble", but that's just that: an assumption. Searching the wiki turned up nothing. Can anyone shed any light?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "High luxury"?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:59:48 am »

It would appear to be a noble position of some type.  But like you i've never seen that one before.  Some noble jobs are generated as the world runs rather than pre-defined in the raws, couldbe something like this.

Whats truly awesome is:

1) Thats almost certainly a vampire dwarf
2) She was high luxury of The Western Coven

Sure Covens are normally witches, but mebbe you got a coven of vampires and she was head bloodsucka or something :p

(Disclaimer: as far as im aware you wont get a group of vamps like that, but it would be funny none the less)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:02:07 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 04:01:01 am »

that's a vampire.  kill it.  or weaponize it. 

Either way, really.
in times of peace nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blasts of war ring in your ears, then imitate the actions of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:06:28 am »

Religions have a random job title for their high priests. I've seen high taxes and high pearls.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:02:33 am »

"high filth" is also an option :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 02:55:23 pm »

that's a vampire.  kill it.  or weaponize it. 

Either way, really.

Not necessarily; some dwarves just go through a lot.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 03:11:49 pm »

Show me any dwarf that has been through that much, and Ill show you a vampire-dwarf
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 03:25:21 pm »

Most people/entites have only two or three past professions or groups. Vampires often flee around the world, always settling in a new place until suspicions rise. Definitely a vampire.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 05:32:55 pm »

Oh, hell. I didn't think about that. It would've been more obvious if she was extremely old for a dwarf to boot, but isn't.
She's got good surgery & diagnostician skills, so I made her my chief medical dwarf! I'm guessing a vampire rooting around in your guts is the last thing any sensible dwarf would want, right?
Also, if--as you say--"The Western Coven" might be an evil cult of vampires, I've got a lot of other migrants that were their former members...
Troublesome stuff, indeed.
Thank you all for clarifying, nonetheless.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:43:05 pm by Bronzebeard »

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 07:41:28 pm »

The western coven is NOT a coven of vampires, it's just a collection of dwarves. Vampire covens aren't in yet.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 11:39:01 pm »

I've read that CMD vampires are easy to have around. Not because they're CMDs particularly, but because the player likes to make medical dwarves hang around the hospital and dwarves like to crash in the hospital. The vampire can go get a snack the moment they get bloodthirsty, so they don't have time to build up a thirst that would drain a dwarf.

Never tried this myself though.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 04:28:39 am »

Just lock the vampire in a small room and see does he get hunger or thirst. Vampires DON'T need to drink blood in fortress mode, and they don't get the downward arrows in their tile indicating any hunger or thirst.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 02:51:36 pm »

Reading this I really have to admire how much personality a dwarf can have. I never noticed things like "Stretches during conversation", "Exhaling sharply when exasperated" or not grumbling with inclement weather. She seems charming though the whole probably being a vampire that would suck you dry thing is quite detrimental to her allure.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 03:09:45 pm »

The first couple are flavor text really.  The last is important though, that one is the indicator of the progression of cave adaptation. :)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 04:35:28 pm »

Amazing that she has lived so long in so many caves but still likes communing with nature :P I wish my dwarves felt that way.
Pages: [1] 2