Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Airmech- An online free RTS/MOBA game!  (Read 9632 times)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Airmech- An online free RTS/MOBA game!
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:02:02 am »

Airmech is a game developed by Carbon Games which revolves around the use of your interchangeable aircraft/ground mech to overwhelm and conquer the enemy. Think transformers, only in a RTS type setting. The RTS element of the game is based on being able to produce units at any of the bases that you conquer, and then ferrying those units around the map in order to dominate your opponents. It is currently free and available for download for Windows, with an alternative of using Chrome. Steam support is in development.
Video from HuskyStarcraft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKnAcSAoRiU

Signup at https://www.carbongames.com/signup.html Once in the game, make sure to go to store -> codes and enter 66QZ-MX5M-LKFY-NN4D! (This is a referral code, I would be greatly thankful if you enter it in :D)

Anybody else here on Bay12 play Airmech? It's a very fun game.

Beginner tips:
1. Always, always, ALWAYS have moneymakers in your customized army. They are essential for boosting your money in the early-late game. Make sure you place them on the blue/green nodes around your base, however, or they will not function.
2. In the initial 45 seconds, turrets are 50% off. Make sure to spend any excess money not spent on moneymakers on turrets.
3. Turrets will fire with more power and more often if placed on a node.
4. Units, when dropped, will not move unless you use one of the buttons on the right hand side of the screen to order them to do something.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:19:51 am by ansontan2000 »
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Airmech- An online free RTS/MOBA game!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 02:28:16 am »

Fun game i just tried a few game and im loving it so far. Just one thing tho these orders key arent really placed at a good spot, make sure you rebind them once you get used to the game and have 1-2 game under your belt.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 02:44:41 am »

I find a nice little tactic to get a couple of bases right off the bat is to purchase two moneymakers, two turrets, drop both on your nodes, then buy as many infantry as possible and place them as close to other bases as possible. If you have two paths with bases drop four on one, then as many as possible on the other.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 03:31:39 pm »

Was planning on making my own thread, but seems I was beat to it.

I've been playing this A LOT. I'm already level 10. What makes this game interesting is that there is no 'pay to win' and most units have a use, whether niche or not. A well balanced force will fair much better than spamming 1 unit. That's the RTS element.

Then there's the...I'll call it FPS element, the Mech battles. It requires a different mindset and skills for when and where to engage, and how to cut off retreats.

Then there's the psychology, which is a mix of both the RTS and FPS. Your opponent is a human player, he can only be at so many places at once. Distractionary drops, assaulting bases when he's not looking, dropping infantry somewhere far away and then distract him while they cap, are all valid strategies.

Overall, I love this game, it's got enough strategy elements to keep me thinking, while at the same time, it's casual enough that I don't get stressed out. This game is a great way to introduce people into the RTS genre, also.

Oh, and ignore the stupid "Evony" style tutorial girl. It's really the only thing in the game like that.

Here's a few images since there isn't any in the OP. Stole these from the site. Also these are old images. The UI has been updated, and some of the units shown have much better graphic designs.

Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:44:14 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 03:41:33 pm »

Overall, I love this game, it's got enough strategy elements to keep me thinking, while at the same time, it's casual enough that I don't get stressed out. This game is a great way to introduce people into the RTS genre, also.
Fitting, considering the extent it's patterned after Herzog Zwei :P Actually was pretty stoked when I first saw Airmech... enough I threw up a thread a long ways back, heh.

But yeah, was sorta' in the beta, except th'computer I have access to can't run it. I'll have to see if the current release'll work.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 06:32:17 pm »

Oh, pictures! Mind if I put them in the OP?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:34:45 pm »

I'm currently downloading the patches.  The graphics look a little on the cartoony side, but not as bad as other titles have been.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:58:27 pm »

Hmm, just an FYI, but it won't let you join a game if your ping is too high.  I was doing fine in a game, the latency isn't a huge issue, but it kept popping up warnings and threatening to boot me.  Now I can't even join a game.

This is not the most inviting situation.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 11:19:23 pm »

I saw this game somewhere...

Wait... that's a DIRECT copy or Rapid Aerial Reployment with polished graphics.
http://rapid-aerial-deployment.softwareandgames.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyeJXSDZBy8

I'm not much of a lurker and i don't care to check but are the makers of Airmech somehow related to RAD or at least mentioned it somewhere? Otherwise it's straight up theft of intelectual property.

Ok nevermind RAD was a freeware copycat of yet another game.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:27:19 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 11:25:55 pm »

actually, they are all a "rip-off" of Herzog Zwei

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameMuseum.Detail&id=242

this is no secret, by the by
I got nothing

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 11:30:36 pm »

actually, they are all a "rip-off" of Herzog Zwei

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameMuseum.Detail&id=242

this is no secret, by the by

Yeah but when i saw Husky talk about it like if it was the newest and most original thing ever i felt my blood slightely boil.
I saw RAD first and remembered it for being a clunky yet original freebie and it was my first impression when watching the video.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 11:51:06 pm »

Signup at https://www.carbongames.com/signup.html Once in the game, make sure to go to store -> codes and enter 66QZ-MX5M-LKFY-NN4D!

Please label that as a referral code. It pisses me off when people try to trick others into giving them referral points or whatever it is you get in this case.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 09:16:06 am »

I launch the game and it says it failed to connect to carbongames.com. Anyone else getting this?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 09:21:14 am »

I launch the game and it says it failed to connect to carbongames.com. Anyone else getting this?
I'm connecting fine. Keep in mind, though, that I'm using my google account and the google chrome plugin to connect.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 09:23:45 am »

Check what server you're connecting to.  I was really surprised to see like two dozen possible servers.
Pages: [1] 2 3