Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The God-Forsaken Chambers  (Read 2235 times)

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The God-Forsaken Chambers
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:05:03 pm »

As said above that's the name of my civilization. I have to make something about chambers now. Any ideas?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: The God-Forsaken Chambers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:09:47 pm »

I'm reminded of Portal. But best off would be to play a perfectly normal fortress, and seal it off and abandon at that phase when you have ten dwarfs left and there's a pile of flaming babies in the well. Be sure to leave a door so you can enter in Adventure mode!
My wooden badge was delicious.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:13:16 pm »

I'm reminded of Portal. But best off would be to play a perfectly normal fortress, and seal it off and abandon at that phase when you have ten dwarfs left and there's a pile of flaming babies in the well. Be sure to leave a door so you can enter in Adventure mode!

I was thinking more of a mega-project

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:16:34 pm »

Obviously all your rooms must be 2 or more z levels high, chambers should have high ceilings, that dwarven 1z level miner peasant low ceiling crap is not good enough for the great and mighty The God-Forsaken Chambers.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:16:48 pm »

Make horrific rooms filled with spikes and other traps to commence !!SCIENCE!! On the Prisoners of War you obtain (Goblins and possiblly hippies (Elves).) Basically fancy torture chambers. How long does it take to kill a gobbo clad in steel with a single copper spike in a trap? How long does it take to kill a gobbo without armor with a single copper spike in a trap? These types of experiments you shall perform in these chambers.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:19:57 pm »

Make horrific rooms filled with spikes and other traps to commence !!SCIENCE!! On the Prisoners of War you obtain (Goblins and possiblly hippies (Elves).) Basically fancy torture chambers. How long does it take to kill a gobbo clad in steel with a single copper spike in a trap? How long does it take to kill a gobbo without armor with a single copper spike in a trap? These types of experiments you shall perform in these chambers.
Obviously all your rooms must be 2 or more z levels high, chambers should have high ceilings, that dwarven 1z level miner peasant low ceiling crap is not good enough for the great and mighty The God-Forsaken Chambers.

I'm going to combine these and make it above ground.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 08:21:19 pm »

Or you could just build some regular chambers and burrow all of your atheist dwarves in them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 02:05:31 am »

Or you could just build some regular chambers and burrow all of your atheist dwarves in them.
+1

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 04:19:33 am »

reminds me of "Cube", the film where the protagonists wake up without memory in rooms which shift position.
As big scale mechanics aren't implemented in DF, you will have to build the rooms without shifting. Of course 2 tiles high, with doors in horizontal and stairs vertically (with grates between cubes). A hidden mechanic changes lock status of the doors/grates according to your schema. Fill with various objects (from crundles over goblins to steel serrated disks).

Should be pretty good to explore as adventurer.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 04:27:14 am »

You could advance the !!SCIENCE!! of Dwarven Child Care.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 06:04:14 am »

reminds me of "Cube", the film where the protagonists wake up without memory in rooms which shift position.
As big scale mechanics aren't implemented in DF, you will have to build the rooms without shifting. Of course 2 tiles high, with doors in horizontal and stairs vertically (with grates between cubes). A hidden mechanic changes lock status of the doors/grates according to your schema. Fill with various objects (from crundles over goblins to steel serrated disks).

Should be pretty good to explore as adventurer.

Was just thinking that aswell!
Ideas for traps;
                     Drowning Trap
                     Magma Trap
                     Serrated disk trap
                     Cave In trap
                     etc etc.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 06:18:51 am »

Dig out a fortress as deep as possible, then infect all of the dwarves with vampirism and seal up all of the tunnels leading to the surface.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:30:26 am »

Sounds like you need to build a Cavern-Fortress, sealed from the surface world except a trap-filled cooridoor engraved with depictions of death, slaughter, fogotten beasts and vampire kings.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 11:32:12 am »

Sounds like you need to build a Cavern-Fortress, sealed from the surface world except a trap-filled cooridoor engraved with depictions of death, slaughter, fogotten beasts and vampire kings.
There are gods of all things mentioned, so it wouldn't really be forsaken

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 12:36:19 pm »

Well, one option is to have numerous masonry workshops set to crank out statues. After a while, you should have a lot of statues featuring deities.

Then put the statues in every room of the fortress except the trapped chambers, which could lead to vaults or royal areas or whatever, which could also be accessed by less direct, hidden routes. If you have a death god, those statues should be heavily concentrated in the areas directly outside the trapped chambers.

Avoiding the trapped areas would therefore require knowledge of that civilization's religious beliefs.