Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: help needed sanity lost  (Read 2450 times)

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
help needed sanity lost
« on: August 02, 2012, 07:45:17 am »

been playing the game for over a week and cant seem to survive as much as i hoped i would... partly because of Admantine that led to a "burn baby burn" cutscene anyone got  a normal guide that could help me start off? (please no more youtube LP i tend to drowse off from"

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: help needed sanity lost
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:50:05 am »

It doesn't seem to me like you need a tutorial. If your problem is digging too greedily, then stop doing that.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:59:00 am »

It doesn't seem to me like you need a tutorial. If your problem is digging too greedily, then stop doing that.
i got digging down right understood its everything elsh that gives me the urge to strangle a kitten

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:04:36 am »

Well the tutorial on the wiki in addition to general wiki surfing should suffice.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:09:16 am »

Although frustration isn't fun, you shouldn't have a lot of trouble with dwarves dying and crumbling forts; after all, that's what makes DF so especial.

The answer, as already given,
Well the tutorial on the wiki in addition to general wiki surfing should suffice.
Or try Adventure Mode instead, you might also learn a few valuable things from there (especially those related to combat prowess).
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:37:30 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is a game that requires you to read 90% of the wiki to fully understand the hows and whys.
When you are stuck, don't know what to do or see a strange animal that you have never heard of, you open the wiki.

It is as if they give you an RTS that takes place in the medieval dark age and they tell you to read the entire christian bible or else you wont understand how to play it.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:24:36 pm »

When I was first learning I would go a bit from the guide and try to do one or two things on my own.  I'd try to set a farm or look into bedrooms or a hospital.  Each "new" aspect drove me to read 5 or 6 wiki pages to help get the basics, experiment to make it work and then I'd ask specific questions I couldn't solve on the forums.

I enjoyed that.  Try that.  Start with booze and food.  Try to get the basics of those industries.  Then maybe work on defense with walls and traps.  After that, trading and making something to sell, then maybe military, hunting, hospital, metal industry, etc.

I don't know how much help that is.  I'm still learning new aspects, better techniques, etc.  I'd be happy to answer anything if your questions are simple and if they are more complex, you have some really good people here on the forums.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 01:51:45 pm »

One does not simply pickup&play dwarf fortress...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 01:54:33 pm »

When I was first learning I would go a bit from the guide and try to do one or two things on my own.  I'd try to set a farm or look into bedrooms or a hospital.  Each "new" aspect drove me to read 5 or 6 wiki pages to help get the basics, experiment to make it work and then I'd ask specific questions I couldn't solve on the forums.

I enjoyed that.  Try that.  Start with booze and food.  Try to get the basics of those industries.  Then maybe work on defense with walls and traps.  After that, trading and making something to sell, then maybe military, hunting, hospital, metal industry, etc.

I agree. This is also how I started.

I made a very simple goal. I remember the very first time I played, my goal as to build a workshop, shop down a tree, and build furniture. That isn't even a functioning fort, but its a building block to a functioning fort.

Then I tried to build a farm. Then a room. Then a stockpile. Then a bedroom. Then a wall. Then a gatehouse...

The wiki is absolutely critical. Read the wiki. The wiki is the manual for the game.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »

There's also "Getting Started With Dwarf Fortress", a printed manual written and recently released and up to date for 34.11 (updates to the e-version can also be bought).

It is 238 pages long.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 04:05:11 pm »

Aha, you got beaten by clowns. Yeah, The internet is just brimming with DF tutorials. I just dived in and used the wiki when I was failing, which was often.

Haha, clowns. In the future, Don't go down there without a plan, and maybe 3 backup plans. And a Really good military.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 05:08:47 pm »

Each fort you should try a new mechanic. If you've reached satisfactory with that mechanic in the fort and the place is not crumbling to pieces As magma pours in while FBs spit a instant death toxin you move on to something else in that fort. Good way to learn as you compile your experience and learn mow about how the game works. It's easily going to take 5-10 forts and 1-2 months before you reach something satisfactory. Embrace the mortality of the game and have fun, FUN, and !!FUN!!.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 05:10:36 pm »

Do note that traps are absolutely lethal to everything that can be hit by them.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 05:12:13 pm »

Do note that traps are absolutely lethal to everything that can be hit by them.

No trap is always 100% lethal (aside from freezing in carbonite). While you can make a trap that does absurd amounts of damage and should kill anything, there is never any guarantee that it will actually kill that thing.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 05:25:25 pm »

Howeer a webbed cage is the ultimate device, allowing you to subdue your enemy and possibly train them. Unless the shoot fire, but even them
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: [1] 2