Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuff growing on mud-covered floors above ground?  (Read 550 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stuff growing on mud-covered floors above ground?
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:01:12 am »

I've heard that trees will grow in mud-covered constructed floors. I'd like to get confirmation on that. Does it include above-ground areas as well? I'd like to grow a 'forest in the sky' but I haven't seen any sign of saplings arriving in the area I've mudded up yet.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff growing on mud-covered floors above ground?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:19:01 am »

Underground crop and trees will only grow on underground terrain. Any tile that has been exposed to sunlight counts as above ground and you can only grow the usual outside crops on farmplots on it. With some luck their might appear some normal trees on it though (not in the farm plots, on muddied tiles I mean).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:21:10 am by Laurin »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:39:36 am »

Yeah, I'm specifically talking about trees (above ground trees).  There's no way to grow subterranean trees 'in the sky' because, as you say, you can't turn tiles from 'sunlit' to 'underground' by building over them.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:49:25 am »

Above-ground trees need natural soil walls beneath them, either directly beneath or one tile away.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:10:59 am »

Above-ground trees need natural soil walls beneath them, either directly beneath or one tile away.

Right. No sky forest for me, then.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 09:40:24 am »

It was my recollection that a soil wall 2 tiles away was sufficient.

Also, to the original poster, nothing will grow naturally on a constructed floor, muddy or not. Above-ground trees will seemingly only grow on Grassy tiles, while subterranean ones can grow on muddy natural stone as well.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:42:10 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:08:14 pm »

Loaded up an old 31.25 game, and yes it's two tiles away. That probably hasn't changed since then.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.