Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Evil biomes... should there be more reward to balance the risk?  (Read 18794 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil biomes... should there be more reward to balance the risk?
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2012, 01:21:33 pm »

All I'm saying is add in a little reward for having the stones to face off against the constant stream of undead, toxic clouds, rain that can melt your skin, and masses of reanimating, dividing enemies that can melt your CPU. 

That sounds like awesome fun there.

All kinds of extra things you can play with in evil biomes make them so worth it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2012, 01:24:12 pm »

Also you can increase the number of points you get for embark up to a max of 10,000, IIRC.

Just adjust the advanced worldgen parameters.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2012, 01:28:50 pm »

More embark points in an evil biome isn't always helpful... its jus more junk to try and haul inside before the "Fun" rains on you or gets all cloudy or the not so dead wildlife comes to greet you.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 01:36:25 pm »

It'd be pretty useful for buying full sets of equipment, although given the limited Armour User skill you can bring you'll have to be selective if you don't want the mobility of a tin can as well as the toughness of one.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 02:55:58 pm »

Slime you gotta admit Freez has a point, why send all your precious little Urists to a place where they have no chance of survival?
Why not?

Shit, sending hundreds of dwarves to die is our hobby here. Evil zones need to raise the stakes, and by "raise the stakes" I actually mean "have 50 migrants turned into life-hating undead thralls by an evil rainstorm before they can reach your gates".

i believe the mountainhome is not like player and it actually cares about its slaves urists .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 05:55:09 pm »

I'm all for "the challenge is it's own reward" though you can always mod in more rewarding stuff if you feel like you need it (several mods include more dangerous rewarding wildlife/plants that you can find in evil biomes.)

Good biomes are not dwarfy, you elf.
Ponies are not dwarfy, you bronie.
Dwarves are not pony, you floating guts.
Modding isn't vanilla, you hacking scum.
Vanilla is too easy, you purist simpleton.
Stacks of 100 elephant zombies aren't easy, you generalizing-purist hater.
Elephant zombies aren't trap avoid, you persistent quoter.
Yo, guys, cool it down a little. You're not contributing to the thread, you're building large quote blocks, and as an outside person who just came in it's starting to get difficult for me to tell whether you guys are joking or seriously raging at each other. If you're joking then try to either get it on topic or pull it back a little. If you're raging then get out of here. There are plenty of forums out there that may let you come in and rage to your heart's content, but Bay12 isn't one of them. If you want to pull that shit then go troll 4-chan or something like that, but don't hang out here.

That said if you wish to have a calm discussion of your differences there are threads in the general discussion forums for that, but as it is it doesn't help this thread in any way, shape, or form, so please refrain.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 05:57:43 pm »

I think having some rewards for being in an evil biome is a great idea.

I'm planning on expanding the Alchemy system in Civilization Forge to have more magical elements to it. What kinds of things do people think would be a good use of evil biome materials?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2012, 05:58:12 pm »

but you need to be on an evil biom to have silver colored clothing ... does that not enougth to "balance" ?  Anyway things are not balanced.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2012, 06:02:13 pm »

Yo, guys, cool it down a little. You're not contributing to the thread, you're building large quote blocks, and as an outside person who just came in it's starting to get difficult for me to tell whether you guys are joking or seriously raging at each other. If you're joking then try to either get it on topic or pull it back a little. If you're raging then get out of here. There are plenty of forums out there that may let you come in and rage to your heart's content, but Bay12 isn't one of them. If you want to pull that shit then go troll 4-chan or something like that, but don't hang out here.

That said if you wish to have a calm discussion of your differences there are threads in the general discussion forums for that, but as it is it doesn't help this thread in any way, shape, or form, so please refrain.

Surely you jest, or haven't been to other forums aside from Bay12.

That is no rage, it is just friendly quote building for the hell of it.
But yes, you are right, it is stupid, pointless and a waste of space.
If it makes you any happier I guess I'll stop.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2012, 06:10:29 pm »

I have, and it's one of the reasons why I'm so protective of keeping our forums nice. :P

If it's all in good fun, then don't mind me and feel free to continue, just make sure that it stays as fun and doesn't cross the line.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2012, 07:56:29 pm »

But I like this one better because it's generally sensible. :/
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 09:01:03 pm »

Evil areas keep sieges out. Other than that, see what the good people at the Suggestions subforum can come up with. Just ask.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 11:20:29 pm »

^. No hate over here, just a somewhat friendly discussion. I'll stop.

That is no rage, it is just friendly quote building for the hell of it.
But yes, you are right, it is stupid, pointless and a waste of space.
If it makes you any happier I guess I'll stop.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2012, 01:07:41 am »

I propose this thread should be folded into the silly Good regions should murder you out of purest fucking spite but be holy about it thread in Suggestions.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2012, 02:16:59 am »

but you need to be on an evil biom to have silver colored clothing ... does that not enougth to "balance" ?  Anyway things are not balanced.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SLIVER BARBS

THEY ARE SLIVER BARBS

THEY MAKE BLACK DYE

NOT SILVER

BLACK

D:

I propose this thread should be folded into the silly Good regions should murder you out of purest fucking spite but be holy about it thread in Suggestions.

I don' think that'd be the best of decisions :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5