Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best use of champions  (Read 644 times)

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
Best use of champions
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:09:27 pm »

The wiki left me with the impression that my champion would be best used as some kind of uber militia guru teaching all the noob dorfs life saving skills before the gobbos cut their legs off.  So when my first few pairs of militia dwarves reached legendary skills I picked the one with the highest teacher skill (8) and made him champion. 

Frankly while he remains a one dorf wrecking crew he seems to do little teaching.  In fact I just watched a dabbling nobody demonstrate dabbling strike skills to my very very highly skilled champion. 

Am I missing something?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Best use of champions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:15:30 pm »

wait, the champion has a use?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 07:03:34 pm »

The best use of champions is to murder things, of course.

I select my most skilled and fearsome warrior, and promote them to champion. Only the most veteran warrior is allowed this honor.

Then I find more things for them to kill.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:57:07 am »

"The champion is a noble position appointed by the Baron (that is, you can appoint it, but you can't do so without a baron or greater noble being present). A champion has no special room requirements, but may make a single demand eventually. As the title of champion is bestowed by appointment rather than merit, you may want to have your best teacher be the champion and conduct weapon demonstrations to boost the morale of training soldiers while your toughest killers go out and fight goblins." --http://dwarffortresswiki.org

Oh well... back to wanton slaughter it is then. I wonder if he can kill the entire Elven delegation all on his own with one hand tied behind his back...

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 02:46:49 am »

Seeing as they elves come with nothing but merchants and hooved animals, id say just watch out for that two-humped camel or yak. Other than that the elves are basically your dwarfs with no military value what so ever. Kill, slaughter, drink the blood of the innocent!
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.